Hydrocon cranes

Hi people, I am a collector of old Hydrocon cranes (the strut jib ones) and in fact I have three 6 ton Hydrocon Highlanders and one 12 ton Hydrocon Hamilton, but unfortunate I just can’t seem to find an 8 ton Hydrocon Huntly to add to my collection. There was one in a scrapyard in Middlesbrough a few years back, but unfortunately it had been scrapped just a week before I had come up to the UK to buy it. By any chance do you know of any old Hydrocon crane that there still exists in some yard in the UK or maybe Scotland? I would be more than grateful if any of you could help me mate, or perhaps ask for me. Thanks a lot!

Ive never heard of them do you have any pics ? I have one of the very first Hiab 650 speed loaders

its a mobile dan , not a truck mount, here’s one we had

Right got it ,there’s a lad cab mobile crane round Derby sometimes still in use ,it could be a Hydrocon ?

Is this one a Hydracon perhaps?, Regards Larry.

more than likely , I think as hydrocons were built in Scotland they used Albion chassis, nothing special on this old girl , Leyland 375 (I think) 5 speed splitter, I could only get around 30ish out of it, but you couldn’t go any faster due to lack of suspension on the rear .
weighed 20 tonnes, and I did do rockingham hill in corby with it (1 in8) , once , never again. cracking top end though , nice crane to use if not exactly a pleasure to drive, especially if coming off a then new 170/26 fiat.

Lawrence Dunbar:
0Is this one a Hydracon perhaps?, Regards Larry.

Coles, I’m sure

coles on the left , hydrocon on the right , although the coles is an earlier strut instead of hydraulic

Here’s a couple of shots of a Hydrocon Hamilton that I took back in '07. It’s since been sold…

Me.Paul.101:
Here’s a couple of shots of a Hydrocon Hamilton that I took back in '07. It’s since been sold…10

same cranes we had in finland ,maybee 3 or4 owned by the goverment roadkeeper

Thanks for all for trying to help!! That’s why I love coming up to Britain, people are always so helpful over there!! Cheers to all!! This is how the Hydrocon Huntly looks like guys: flickr.com/photos/126522223 … 548619858/

Me.Paul.101:
Here’s a couple of shots of a Hydrocon Hamilton that I took back in '07. It’s since been sold…10

Great pics mate, thanks for sharing!! Do you know to whom has this crane been sold by any chance? Or maybe you could ask for me? Thanks

Could anyone kindly help me please? I will be coming to the UK at the end of this month/beginning of next month…any ideas where there was one of these cranes perhaps I could visit that place? Your help will be greatly appreciated! Many thanks in advance ppl!! :slight_smile:

Oliver87:
Could anyone kindly help me please? I will be coming to the UK at the end of this month/beginning of next month…any ideas where there was one of these cranes perhaps I could visit that place? Your help will be greatly appreciated! Many thanks in advance ppl!! :slight_smile:

Hi “Oliver87”, Rush Green Motors at Hichin might be a good place to look, They have a lot of old gear in there, Well worth a visit IMO, Regards Larry.

Many thanks for your advice Lawrence! They do have some really interesting stuff there and there is an old Hydrocon too, but its a Hydrocon Handiman with a telescopic jib, not similar to the one I was looking for. Many thanks again buddy!! :slight_smile:

There’s this well known landmark - a Hamilton

And I think you left a comment on Flickr about this Highlander

fryske:

Is that Hamilton situated just off the Northwich Road,has Xmas lights on the jib?

David

5thwheel:

fryske:

Is that Hamilton situated just off the Northwich Road,has Xmas lights on the jib?

David

Yes – much better for pictures at night!

Many thanks for your kind posts people!! Yes I did leave a comment on flickr about that Hydrocon Highlander in the Staffordshire Moorlands…as regards the Hamilton, can anyone help me locate it on google maps please? Many thanks once again!! :slight_smile:

Oliver87:
Hi people, I am a collector of old Hydrocon cranes (the strut jib ones) and in fact I have three 6 ton Hydrocon Highlanders and one 12 ton Hydrocon Hamilton, but unfortunate I just can’t seem to find an 8 ton Hydrocon Huntly to add to my collection. There was one in a scrapyard in Middlesbrough a few years back, but unfortunately it had been scrapped just a week before I had come up to the UK to buy it. By any chance do you know of any old Hydrocon crane that there still exists in some yard in the UK or maybe Scotland? I would be more than grateful if any of you could help me mate, or perhaps ask for me. Thanks a lot!

Plenty of Hydrocon info on classicmachiney.net