HUNGARY

Off to Hungary through Dunkirk, Germany , Austria tomorrow. My sat-nav only gets me to the border of Austria/ Hungary.
Any tips on driving in Hungary? I’m only going as far as Budapest off the M3. :confused:

yes put your headlights on and avoid the extra service :laughing:

These extra services…Are they the cheap sleeping “bags” my mate tells me about? :open_mouth:

go onto google maps to print off map to your tip address

Don’t forget to pick up your Vignette at the border!

If you’re going over the border at Nickelsdorf, the vignette place is in a portacabin tucked away behind the Austrian services at the border crossing.

You will need to present your vehicle registration documents in order to purchase a vignette.
Cash or credit card only.

Last year was 13.5€ per day.

If you look on the Euro sticky s there are sites from Hungary
posted ,check on the internet fuel was /is cheaper in AUSTRIA
be aware that they also have their fuel thief’s as well, not sure
if the old Lomo truck stop is still open, this was good and had a secure parking which one has to pay for well worth it,where are you going in Budapest
as on the city ring road is a 3,80m bridge diversion sign posted,
Right keep to speed limits the police has modern cars , laser-pistols and all the rest, also on the transit ring they are normally out doing checks,
when approaching Vienna and using the ring road,careful#average speed cameras all over the place, also YES SNOW-CHAINS & WINTER TYRES;
are being checked on,
RIGHT IF you stop at ST POLTEN its on the motorway in Austria
this is well worth a visit and get the TRUCKERS CARD,
any more questions ask away some one will give their penny’s worth

Inselaffe:

:bulb: Wouldn’t a Hungarian phrase book be useful too??

I believe Denis F has one :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink: :grimacing:

dieseldave:

Inselaffe:

I believe Denis F has one :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink: :grimacing:

Yandelavasa grldenwi stravenka

You can get the vignette at the 1st services in Hungry with DKV etc,its the same as the belgium one,a till receipt.Theres also a lomo autohof (i think about 50k before Budapest),youll see it on youre right,good food,showers etc,cant remember the cost but dont think it`s that much,also think there is a truck wash there.

dieseldave:

My hovercraft is full of eels :laughing:

brit pete:
as on the city ring road is a 3,80m bridge diversion sign posted,
Right keep to speed limits the police has modern cars , laser-pistols and all the rest, also on the transit ring they are normally out doing checks,

No need to go through the City anymore the M0 now joins the M3.

Inselaffe:
You will need to present your vehicle registration documents in order to purchase a vignette.
Cash or credit card only.

Don’t remember showing any documents, just writing down the reg and dates I wanted the tax for on a scrap of paper.

Brian:
a lomo autohof (i think about 50k before Budapest),youll see it on youre right,good food,showers etc,cant remember the cost but dont think it`s that much,also think there is a truck wash there.

That could be useful :smiley: We were looking for a truck wash last year, but the place we found could only take 7.5 tonners.

Ring road is finished so no worries there.

muckles:
Don’t remember showing any documents, just writing down the reg and dates I wanted the tax for on a scrap of paper.

The spot on the border issues vignettes for all vehicles, so they want to see your registration documents to establish what class of vehicle you are driving.

Just a note on money: euro is widely accepted but a) change is given back in forints (annoying), b) exchange rate is often made up by the person at the till and does not favour you (the customer), so things get more expensive. pikolo kave (small coffe) at a fuel station e.g., price varies 200-300huf but euro price is flat across the country: 2eur. 100huf is about 30-40cents…
Get some forints at the border or pay with card.

When ive brought vignette at the services ive never been asked for any documents,just how many axles,it`s never been a problem

If you get your vignette at the services, make sure if you pay by DKV or fuel card, that your reg is on there or if its a company card you will get problems and will require a fax to state that the card is not stolen.
No probs with having to show your V5, just tell them what euro cat your truck is and how many axles…
Have a good trip.

I came back yeserday. I got my viniette from the last services in Austria. No hassle, just showed my v5 as asked, paid £6 for a 4 day pass, and got a little receipt. Te sat-nav brought me through the centre of Budapest, the ring rd was a little confusing. What a culture shock! The city centre very cosmopolitan, the district I delivered to was like being back in Russia! :open_mouth:

bigvern1:
I came back yeserday. I got my viniette from the last services in Austria. No hassle, just showed my v5 as asked, paid £6 for a 4 day pass, and got a little receipt. Te sat-nav brought me through the centre of Budapest, the ring rd was a little confusing. What a culture shock! The city centre very cosmopolitan, the district I delivered to was like being back in Russia! :open_mouth:

Any pics ?
Or even better, a diary with pics, we love 'em. :smiley:

Sorry…No pics. I was a little unprepared this time. Next time will take more kit. It was a last min panic job. One minute it was On and off the next. You know how it goes!! :unamused: