Huffing and puffing about air lines

So day 3 into my C+E and can i get the air lines to go in, well yes but i have to sit down and eat some spinach after :blush:

Is it just me or does anyone else have a problem getting them to go in? (I am 21, like a stick “Not Strong, and no weight to me”)

if anyone does, anyone got any tips on how to put them in a little bit easier?

Thanks

Firstly, a good squirt of WD40 on them works wonders. Then make sure you’re square behind them so you’re not trying to get them on at an angle. Pull the collar back, push the connector in and release the collar.

Or ask your trainer to demonstrate.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

once or twice i really struggled with one of the airlines (can’t remember which one exactly). Someone has posted many moons ago that his guess was that one of them should go first then the other, again can’t remember which one :unamused: :stuck_out_tongue: :blush:

very helpful post, isn’t it? :grimacing: :blush:

Yes, I struggle with this sometimes, especially on trailer/unit combinations with limited access to the airline connections.

Some tips:

• Switch the engine off before connecting. The lower the air pressure in the tanks, the easier it will be. If you like, press the foot brake a few times to dump some air. Unfortunately, this means that you’ll need to build it back up again before you leave.
  • When connecting the lines, make sure that you have the collar fully pulled/pushed back. No point in trying to push in a connector that will never go in.
  • The easiest way is to get your body weight behind it, so you’re not just pushing it with your arm muscles. This isn’t always possible, though.
  • Try to find something to brace yourself against - typically the back of the cab, but if that’s too far away and you can stand on the unit catwalk, try bracing against your knee with your foot firmly planted well back. Then you can use the force of straightening your foot to provide extra force.

Thanks guys, I will try to put my body behind it as I have been standing next to it. I will take any advice you have Priest just so i don’t look like a 2Y/O trying to put a square block into a circle hole :blush: , don’t get me wrong I can get them in but I just look silly when doing it :stuck_out_tongue:

If it’s an artic with little room, use the split coupling method. Your trainer should explain this to you.

And many folks look ungainly when getting the airlines in. Don’t worry about it.

Yep you don’t wanna strain and do your back in like this poor sod

image.jpeg

I thought all truckers looked like that after 20 years? :open_mouth:

Well that’s close to the face I pull when trying to get them in :open_mouth:

side note I nearly went flying when taking them out for the first time as well. :blush:

Go to the gym.

I struggle I’m like a racing snake, it’s one thing that did worry me about doing my class 1, but you will find the best way for yourself… I lean into it (put what weight you do have behind it) but they is some good advice above mate!

It’s all about brain, not brawn. Use the bracing techniques described earlier and don’t worry about physical strength.

“Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world.”

The fleet maintenance guys advise against using WD40 or other chemical lubricants as it damages the rubber o-rings inside the connectors. Also, be careful if you decide to try split coupling. Some sites are okay with it (particularly the refrigerator operators), but many regard it as dangerous and have banned it. Like anything in trucking, it’s only dangerous if you do it wrong.

I’ve heard the comment about damage to O rings but I’ve used it as many years as I can remember and don’t remember any issues. I routinely walk round the fleet giving all the appropriate bits a good dousing of WD40 so I believe the benefits maybe outweigh the perceived negative. But that’s just my experience.

Split coupling is banned on some sites. But, for driving test, its perfectly acceptable if done properly. And that’s where the stress will really show itself!

Priest:
once or twice i really struggled with one of the airlines (can’t remember which one exactly). Someone has posted many moons ago that his guess was that one of them should go first then the other, again can’t remember which one :unamused: :stuck_out_tongue: :blush:

very helpful post, isn’t it? :grimacing: :blush:

From personal experience I have always found it easier to connect the yellow line first. Seems to less pressure on the second airline doing it this way round.

Our maintenance will spray WD40 on the connectors at service time so if they think it’s ok it’s ok by me. They’re the ones that have to fix stuff when it goes wrong. I carry a tin with me at all times. Oddly enough I used it for the first time last week having carried it for over a year. Red airline wouldn’t snap back until I sprayed some WD on it, then it slipped in like a ■■■■■ into a ■■■■■ woman :smiley:

Terry T:
Our maintenance will spray WD40 on the connectors at service time so if they think it’s ok it’s ok by me. They’re the ones that have to fix stuff when it goes wrong. I carry a tin with me at all times. Oddly enough I used it for the first time last week having carried it for over a year. Red airline wouldn’t snap back until I sprayed some WD on it, then it slipped in like a ■■■■■ into a ■■■■■ woman :smiley:

It’s not only Suzie Air lines & ■■■■■ Women, a but lubrication on the curtain ratchets, doors & ratchet straps helps as well, although WD40 is good for a quick fix, Spray Grease will last longer (especially if applied regularly)

Even Spit will help to push a dodgy Airline on (as long as you’re quick enough !)

I was trying to do it today as well (test on Monday) and they went in straight in, I think it was me trying to do it all with my arms and not putting my body behind it. Thanks for all the tips and tricks guy

MrGodSquad:
I was trying to do it today as well (test on Monday) and they went in straight in, I think it was me trying to do it all with my arms and not putting my body behind it. Thanks for all the tips and tricks guy

Yeah don’t use your arms as the primary source of pressure. If I’m connecting to a trailer where the connectors are low down I’ll force them in using my thighs. If they’re higher up I’ll use my hip area.

MrGodSquad:

Put both Air Lines on first, then the Lecky & ABS line.
That way, you’ve got more room to ■■■■ about, with the rest of the lines out of the way.