Howells & Reavell

I’m gutted, can’t find a mention of my old firm Howells and Reavell on here. They were from Southall, Middlesex and they were running up to about 1975 I think. They moved to Monkton Motors old yard in Uxbridge just before the end and some of the last few episodes of the BBC series ‘The Brothers’ were filmed there, after HTS (where most of the series was filmed) had folded.

Like the pic Dave

Rattlesnake Dave:
They moved to Monkton Motors old yard in Uxbridge just before the end and some of the last few episodes of the BBC series ‘The Brothers’ were filmed there, after HTS (where most of the series was filmed) had folded.

]

Seemed like ‘The Brothers’ was the kiss of death, and not just for fictional haulage drama :laughing:
I don’t remember Howells & Reavill but I do remember Monkton Motors, how’s that then?
Thought I knew most fleets from that era.
Nice line-up Dave, brings back fond memories.

Salut, David.

David, Its got me wondering whether the Brothers is available on DVD it’s maybe worth a watch again, Ive all but forgot it all! And what about “Truckers” LOL!

I did see quite a lot of the repeats a few years ago when they were shown on Bravo (I think) and waited hopefully to see some of the later editions for nostalgia’s sake but what with working nights etc I gave up in the end. The DVD’s would definitely be an option, I’ll have to check them out.
The production team used to stick the Hammond Brothers logo on the trucks with a sort of Vaseline so they could easily remove them after.
David, most of the trailers were signwritten with other company’s names, mostly International Express from Brentwood (see under Howells & Reavell in the Transport Photo Forum), Ferry Freighting from Rainham I think and Ollivetti who we did a lot of work for between Cricklewood and Queenstown in the UK and Ivrea and Pozzouli? nr Naples in Italy, so that’s why you may not remeber them.
Photo’s a bit blurred cos it’s only a small pic but as you say, it does bring back happy memories. On the Saturday when the picture was taken we were all off for a swim at the pool in Macon followed by a quick drive to the Bakehouse for evening meal and a few glasses (more like bottles) of plonk.

Im going to check Ebay for that type of DVD Dave, I got all the Onedin line off there, and thats an old series.

Don’t know how I managed to miss your last posts, Mal and Dave, I always click ‘posts since last visit’ each day :confused: Technology :frowning:
Speaking of which, afraid the DVD wouldn’t be much use to me, haven’t got a player :open_mouth: . Only just realised the initials weren’t an abbreviation of my name :blush:

Dave,
Didn’t realise that photo was taken at Mâcon pool, in fact didn’t realise there was one, we used to swim at the one in Bourg en Bresse - all parked up in that giant market place that the main road ran through. Spent many a happy weekend at the Bakehouse though. This was early 80s for me, can’t remember if you said when you were running that way. We may even have met.
Ferry Freighting from Rainham rings a bell, as does Olivetti at Ivrea, sure I’ve loaded out of there a time or two. I used to roll for Whitetrux in those days.

Just checked back to your original post re the date. That could explain a lot :laughing: .

Salut, David.

David, have only just got DVD a player myself, it’s a multi region from Argos, and was about 35 quid bu tthats got 4 years exchange old for ne warranty! :laughing:

• David, I haven’t got a DVD player either - but play them on the PC. Saw a DVD player in a supermarket today for just under £30.

And congratulations, on becoming a Mod.

Dave

I remember them. We used to call them “House of Evil”. Severla of their drivers came onto SCA with me. About 1972 as I recall. Good bunch of blokes. Can’t remember any names though.

Steve

Sheeter:

• David, I haven’t got a DVD player either - but play them on the PC. Saw a DVD player in a supermarket today for just under £30.

And congratulations, on becoming a Mod.

Dave

Yes but you still need the right gizmo in the PC don’t you? I’ve only got a CD reader/writer in mine.

Thanks for the congrats, that Lucy sure knows where to put me, in amongst the oldies :open_mouth: .
Oh, I’ve just noticed all the little extra ‘edit’ buttons. The power :smiling_imp: .

Now I want all you lot to behave until I’ve done all the homework the headmistress has given me :open_mouth: .

Salut, David.

David (Spardo), House of Evil weren’t going in the 80’s, i think it must have been about 1974 or 5 that they went skint. I remember it was about 6 or 9 months after they bought some new MAN’s (you can just see the front of one in the picture) and they were N reg so when would that have been? They were some of the first MAN’s to be imported and the main dealer was in Chiswick. One of our drivers, Tony, went to work for them and was still with them in Swindon last I heard (was about 10 yrs ago).
Steve (Rexyu) I obviously knew quite a lot of the SCA drivers 'cos we used to run with them before they started that silly changeover malarky. What was that Routier called where you used to stay, just after you exited the autoroute nr Auxerre, was it the Rally Route or something? I’ve just remembered one of the names, Bernie. Bought his own motor on SCA later on.

Dave

I left SCA, very reluctantly I might add, when they bought the changeover thingy in, so I can’t remember the name of the Routier either. We’d been double manning for quite a while up until then. Teamed with Johnny Edwards from Sudbury, Suffolk.

I went on to KwikasAir at their Paris branch. Was only there about 6 weeks at the end of which nobody ahd given me any money, so I walked out on the ferry and went back to the fishing out of Newhaven. They later became TNT.

I remember “Bernie the Bolt” very well. Came out of Southwark, I think, and could get you anything at the right price. Smashing bloke.

Do you remember the Etherington brothers, theGilham brothers? What about Ivor “the driver” Woods. His grandma was the Romany Queen of Southend and was another lovely man.

So many memories of good old friends. Wonder where they all are now? Hope they’re all OK. I lost 5 fishing friends at sea. Still pains me.

Where has all the time gone?

Best

Steve

I remember one of the Ellingham’s but I didn’t Know there was two Steve. Trouble is, there was a Johnny Allingham worked at Howells & Reavell, and a Johnny Ellingham ( another one, ex Bospherous Trading) that worked at PIE and, in the process of time, they’re all beginning to morph into one. I don’t remember the Gillhams or Ivor the Driver but that doesn’t mean I didn’t know them, it was 30 years ago! Been talking to my mate Keith and he reckons it was the Rally Route where SCA done the C/o.
I remember Kwikasair, when they first started here they were based in Butlers Wharf in Greenford and a mate of mine Dave Thomas (later, United Biscuits and Brewliner) worked there and another guy Keith, can’t remember his surname, who was ex Hallett and Silbermann, also worked for them…

Like you say Steve, where did the time go. And as for all those old friends, maybe we’ll catch up with them on here and if not, up there. Who Knows?

Rattlesnake dave , my dad used to work for Howells &Reavell in the early 70s as i remember their yard in Southall was not far from where Western int market is these days .I was about 10 or 11 when he started , his first lorry was a gold six wheel rigid D Series he then progressed onto an F86 artic & finally a silver grille 240 F88 {the one with the air wipers at the top of the screen} which was H or J reg. I can still remember my dad coming home one afternoon just after i got home from school and said come out and see this son and their was this F88, I climbed up to look inside it was massive but the thing that really caught my eye was the amount of switches & dials & lights. Always had a soft spot for Volvos since then but got my head turned by their swedish rivals the first time i went in my dads mate John Jenkinsons 141 that he had on Pan Arabian[nothing beats the sound of a V8 scania ] who used to be based in Colnbrook.

Well there’s a coincidence, I was speaking to John Jenkinson yesterday, he’s an old friend of mine. We first met when we drove for waitrose Supermarkets when they used to be in Greenford. Must have been 1968 or 69. I know what you mean about the Volvo’s too, they don’t look too much nowadays alongside the modern trucks but in those days, what with a bunk as well, they dwarfed most British Trucks and they had so many switches. They even had a thermostatically controlled heater under the seat and another heater on the dash. This meant that you could have a nice warm body with ice cold air blowing in your face. Forget about the wipers though :cry:
Did your Dad work for RH, If he did I think I might know him.

Im glad to hear Jenkos still around i know he has had problems with his ticker. Although i live in deepest Leicestershire these days as a family we are from London, I grew up in Hayes so only a couple of miles from Southall. I went to the yard a few times seem to remember they had a snooker table in the restroom. In your picture at the top is that you ? because it looks alot like another friend of my dads called Graham Allcorn they later worked together at Cornwall Brothers and then on the middle east for Charlie Ward at Uxbridge . ps is the driver in the second volvo Elvis in his famous white suit :laughing:

Good story and decent pics but the haircuts are a little worrying :stuck_out_tongue:

I can’t recognise the driver in the second Volvo but the one in the first one is my son. I know Charlie Ward as well R143-500. It was Charlie who got me a job on L and A (Stanwell) when I was made redundant from Howell’s & Reavell.
There are some more pictures of H & R volvo’s on the Transport Photo Forum, if you just click on it in the ‘jump to’ box just under this posting.
There’s a picture of me too :unamused:
They’re under the heading Howells & Reavell and Howells & Reavell 2.
I hope to post some LandA & PIE photo’s on here soon too.

Rattlesnake i took a look at the pics top hair cuts and sideburns! :blush: . do you remember Lennie Humphreys or John [gorrila] Britton. I met Charlie Ward in a restuarant in Datchet about 8 years ago whilst having a meal with my missus my dad was with us that night too had a good chat with Charlie he walked with a stick didnt ask why but the old fella said he got mixed up "heavy duty " types a few years back and it all ended in tears {and broken bones }.