How wide is your truck

This morning M6 from junction 10A past M5 jct southbound thru roadworks, 50mph limit and 6ft 6 width limit, 2 hgv must have thought they were exempt from both speed and width limits. There are enough signs saying outside lane 6ft6 or have they got special shrinking trucks?

my renault premium fits down 6"6’ restriction… :confused: :confused:

Cruise Control:
my renault premium fits down 6"6’ restriction… :confused: :confused:

Naughty boy. That’s 3 points you know :laughing:

I once squeezed through a 7ft 2 width restriction in SE London, near Bermondsey I think, was delivering a load of granite kerbs for Conways. I remember the entrance at one end of the road was closed (unrestricted end, typical) and I didn’t fancy risking the narrow sidestreets so went to the other end, turned into the road to be met by 7ft 2 signs and bollards :confused: Couldn’t turn back so carefully squeezed through, much to the annoyance of the impatient car drivers behind me :laughing:

Do these temporary lane width restrictions include mirrors?

From my experience DAF CF is slightly wider then the whole road itself… :grimacing:

So better order it with a diff lock, otherwise you might be stuck on the bend when one whell go on the grass :slight_smile:

Serious question: I am by law required to have height indicator in my cab. But how I am supposed to know my width?

a daf cf is 8ft 2 wide, dont know if that includes mirrors but i think it does.

i only know this because R.M have the hiehgt and width in the cab…not that they eally need it for all the motorway travelling their trucks do

Didnt think royal mail drivers would need to know that. I thought they go where they want no matter what

kr79:
Didnt think royal mail drivers would need to know that. I thought they go where they want no matter what

yea i think your right tbh, i dont think any of them have every noticed them plus it would be nice for the trucks to be cleaned inside once in a while and not manky.

gogzy:
a daf cf is 8ft 2 wide, dont know if that includes mirrors but i think it does.

i only know this because R.M have the hiehgt and width in the cab…not that they eally need it for all the motorway travelling their trucks do

It doesn’t include mirrors, standard artic trailers are 2.5m wide, just over 8 foot. Also width restrictions never include mirrors in the calculation.

For comparison, a Ford Mondeo is 1.95m wide, 6’5" approx, so basically the 6’6" restriction would exclude all but cars.

i went through a 6’6 this morning on the a80 northbound :blush: hadn’t been on that stretch of road for a couple of weeks, overtaking a big queue of traffic sitting at 38mph in the average camera zone while i went bombing past :smiling_imp: at 40mph. So anyway the roadworks have been rejigged the only sign stating 6’6 was about 100-150 yards before the cones but it was too late. There was no way i could return to the left without wiping out a few cars. Anyway here is me driving down a 6’6 worried for my mirrors when it turns out to be as wide as the clyde. 6’6 must be a fancy term for cars only because its got sod all to do with width.

Anyway sorry guys if i offended anyone this morning it twas a accident :wink: :grimacing:

trumplesneaker:
standard artic trailers are 2.5m wide, just over 8 foot.

Also reefer trailers are 2.55m to allow for the added insulation. (according to C&U regs)

it does annoy me when trucks fly past in the restricted width lanes, as Ive had a few near misses on the A1 north of dishforth when trucks fly past nearly taking my O/S mirror off recently it wouldnt have been so bad but it was obvious that due to the constriction it would have been wiser for then to hang back, instead of bullying & barging their way past by sounding their horn or flashing their lights.
It would be interesting to learn the legal outcome should 2 trucks have a minor or major collision in those circumstances

peirre:
It would be interesting to learn the legal outcome should 2 trucks have a minor or major collision in those circumstances

Don’t know about the legalities, but I had an “incident” with a tipper driver on the M69 one morning.

50 MPH limit, 6’ 6" lane restriction. I was doing 50, said tipper driver was obviously in a hurry :exclamation: .
Half mile before the end of the roadworks matey “tries” to overtake me, resulting in HIM having his mirror folded in by the back corner of my trailer and losing his mirror glass.

Once out of the roadworks, I’m still chugging along @ 50, matey comes alongside me “gesticulating”, I simply “point” at the road and remind him that he shouldn’t have been in that lane anyway.

With that, he shoots off, never to be seen again.

If he had stayed behind me in the roadworks, it would have “cost” him 30secs.

Instead it “cost” him 1 mirror glass.

A tipper driver in a hurry? How very unusual. :unamused:

No comment :blush: but that want me i only been on a34 and m3 today

Thats the annoying thing, your bimbling along legally in lane 1 trying to avoid the cones or roadworks to your left, & most likely your almost on the white line on your offside, and some eegit decides to squeeze 8ft+ width of truck past you in 6ft6" of space, and all you can do is grit your teeth and wait for the almost enevitable impact of mirror glass