How to use a tacho

nick2008:
that’s bad though that the schools don’t teach you one of most basic functions you do in driving :open_mouth: ie record keeping in the use of a tachograph be it almost all vehicles you’ll use will more than likely be a digital…

Well to be fair, a trainee pays them to teach him/her how to pass the HGV driving test and that has nothing to do with tachographs.

I bet there’s not a training company in the country that wouldn’t be prepared to teach a trainee how to use a tachograph, the question is would the trainee be prepared to pay for it :wink:

Tbf to the op,when I passed my test and got in my first wagon with the tray type tacho I thought it was a CD player lol

tachograph:

nick2008:
that’s bad though that the schools don’t teach you one of most basic functions you do in driving :open_mouth: ie record keeping in the use of a tachograph be it almost all vehicles you’ll use will more than likely be a digital…

Well to be fair, a trainee pays them to teach him/her how to pass the HGV driving test and that has nothing to do with tachographs.

I bet there’s not a training company in the country that wouldn’t be prepared to teach a trainee how to use a tachograph, the question is would the trainee be prepared to pay for it :wink:

so and I apologise for my ignorance as the test etc has changed dramatically since I took my test 30+ years ago

What are all the modules a new driver has to sit ad take to get their licence …

nick2008:
so and I apologise for my ignorance as the test etc has changed dramatically since I took my test 30+ years ago

What are all the modules a new driver has to sit ad take to get their licence …

Sorry I thought you was talking about the actual driver training for the test, anyway someone will correct me if I’m wrong but as far as I’m aware modules 2 and 4 don’t cover how to use a tachograph, anyway you don’t need a trainer to do module 2.

All the module 4 test covers on the tachos is the symbles and driving hours not how to use them. In training they should teach you if your paying good money for it

Dazza1980:
nah its pants if you pass your Mod 2 and Mod 4 as you don’t physically get to use a digi tacho. The first time is when your in a job and it can be very scary if you’ve never used one before (been there done that). They other guys at the place where i worked didn’t believe me when i told them ive never used one before and asked how come i didn’t get shown when doing the 35 hours etc. They didn’t realise all new people do is pass case studies test which is just a clicking session on a comp and show an examiner a few things at the test centre which necessary don’t include tacho.

THIS! i started part time this christmas and had no idea how to use the tacho lol (iv still never opened or closed a curtain yet apart from my weekday job which has nothing to do with driving!)

jimmy page:

Dazza1980:
nah its pants if you pass your Mod 2 and Mod 4 as you don’t physically get to use a digi tacho. The first time is when your in a job and it can be very scary if you’ve never used one before (been there done that). They other guys at the place where i worked didn’t believe me when i told them ive never used one before and asked how come i didn’t get shown when doing the 35 hours etc. They didn’t realise all new people do is pass case studies test which is just a clicking session on a comp and show an examiner a few things at the test centre which necessary don’t include tacho.

THIS! i started part time this christmas and had no idea how to use the tacho lol (iv still never opened or closed a curtain yet apart from my weekday job which has nothing to do with driving!)

bloody silly that is then . teach you how to open curtains but not how to use the main piece of equipment you’ll use every day :unamused: . you’d think that would be something a trainer could do when you go out on your lessons

Dazza1980:

I got asked how you’d insert a tacho. I just told her “the right way up”. Hadn’t got a clue.
Thankfully my uncle advised me to watch YouTube videos of the operation of different tachos so it makes sense now.

nick2008:

jimmy page:

Dazza1980:

bloody silly that is then . teach you how to open curtains but not how to use the main piece of equipment you’ll use every day :unamused: . you’d think that would be something a trainer could do when you go out on your lessons

Lol you don’t even get shown how to open curtains as instructors tie rap them up for test so there’s no need. Scary thing is im out for the first time tomorrow on class 1 with a regular and I’ve never used curtains before only boxes on rigids scouring YouTube for all the tips and will be picking my mentor for best practice etc tomorrow.

Dazza1980:
Lol you don’t even get shown how to open curtains as instructors tie rap them up for test so there’s no need. Scary thing is im out for the first time tomorrow on class 1 with a regular and I’ve never used curtains before only boxes on rigids scouring YouTube for all the tips and will be picking my mentor for best practice etc tomorrow.

Curtains dead easy tbh, only thing to watch out for is the ■■■■ wind when trying to open or close as it can whip them all over the place!

devonlad2009:
Hi guys can anyone please tell me how do you use a tacho. Iv got the card and I put it in a works truck to see if it was working ok but with what came up made no sence to me :frowning:

Tacho? What’s one of them like? :laughing:

nick2008:

jimmy page:

Dazza1980:

i didnt get taught how to use curtains lol

jimmy page:

nick2008:

jimmy page:

Dazza1980:

i didnt get taught how to use curtains lol

You won’t be. Its down to the company you are working for to train you on stuff like that.

Holy Crap!!!