How to turn this into a job offer

Hello, looking for a bit of advice from experienced drivers on this if I can.

I’m doing a HGV driving course for unemployed people at the moment. Won’t be sitting my test until February, before then I have to do ten days work placement out on the road with a driver.

Couldnt find anywhere to take me on. Luckily my uncle knew a guy who knows the guy that runs a skip hire place locally, so I’m going there for the ten days.
Now I’m fairly desperate to get a job out of this course so I’m hoping I can impress these guys and they’ll want to keep me on once I’ve passed my test.

So my question is. If you were a skip truck driver or the owner of a skip company and had to drive some guy in his late 20’s around all day on ■■■■■■■ work experience, what would make you think “We should try and keep this guy”.
I know the obvious stuff like, turn up on time, help out anyway I can etc but there must be more ways to show that I would be worth having.
Any advice silly or serious appreciated :smiley:

All I can add is attitude. You want to be the kind of guy that isn’t shooting his mouth off or a miserable git. I don’t mean be never open your mouth or go around with a silly grin on your face, but someone that is easygoing.

Good luck.

Let the gaffer know your really appreciative of the opportunity and if you pass you’d love to be given the chance to work for them. Providing you like it that is.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Additional to TNUK’s best bosses advice! :wink: And that’s not you Jax! :laughing:
I’d like to add asking lots of questions about the job to show that you’re thinking and interested.
Remember that you’re expectorated to know absolutely bugger all, you have ZERO experience! :open_mouth:

So you get an advantage of playing the; Newbie Card! :smiley: And I’d advice anyone to play it for as long as they can, which you can if you don’t come across as a know it all, or more experienced than you really are. You my friend (with ZERO experience) can ask without shame where is the oil dipstick & filler, and you can’t even look a plum if they say it hasn’t got a dipstick, you read it off the dash display… (The cocky know it all isn’t now looking so good as they hunt around for a dipstick! :laughing:)

You could then ask where do I get oil to top it up, and what’s your refueling procedure? how you are thinking and if you think I’m writing you a whole list, you’ve very much mistaken. :laughing: But it’s all about the Newbie Card asking questions and learning mate! :wink:

Best of luck! :smiley:

I’d rather have someone ask me ten questions than make a presumption that means a big repair bill/getting a mention from Sally traffic, so never be afraid to ask!

As someone said above… attitude!! Walk in there introduce yourself and offer your hand, act keen even if you aren’t! If you do a full day and they say you get yourself home now’ ask if they need out doing before hand…

Attitude breeds attitude… so have a good one :wink:

Somefeen. You say you are doing a HGV course for unemployed people, and will be sitting a test in Feb.

Do you have to pay anything towards it?

Thanks for all the advice guys. First day out is Thursday hope it goes well.

@eagerbeaver.

I don’t pay for the course but I am in Ireland where the dole is eh…generous.
Only get 8 two hour lessons in total though so I’m not driving constantly. The rest of the time is, initial CPC training and add on courses like forklifts and ADR.