How to keep non driving work records?

At present I have a full time job and am only driving the odd day a week/fortnight. I am aware I need to keep a record of the other hours I work incase stopped while driving. Other than doing a hugh manual entry before I start driving is there any other way to keep a record? Will writing the hours in a diary be ok (which is what im doing at the moment) or does it need to be more official? Doesn’t need to be countersigned?

Any info will be appreciated

Strictly speaking it should be done by handwritten entries on a length of digi printout paper, or on the reverse of an analogue chart. However, my understanding is that DVSA are happy to accept detailed entries in a diary or similar. The records should be signed and dated by you, and also include your driver number.

You don’t need a huge manual entry - just date, name, start & end time for each day you worked prior to driving in that fixed week.

In most cases DVSA will accept a diary or time sheet but the legislation doesn’t. At a recent new operator seminar DVSA were asked this very question - will they accept a diary etc. the answer was that they are only going to accept the proper records according to legislation.

Personally I would have a ‘log book’ as per the example in the GV262 and just use that - I’d take my chances and if a DVSA guy doesn’t like it I’d be pleased to attend court and have it explained to me why my full and complete records made on a document specified in the DVSAs own publication isn’t good enough.

I always record my activities via manual entries, when doing any vehicle movements in my full time job. I have been given a log book by my part time employer, to fill in for my days working full time, and this records starts, finishes and total breaks. This allows the company I drive for one day a week to monitor my working hours for their records.

Non driving day records are used to determine that the weekly rests periods have been adhered to

If working mon to fri then generally only one day can be driven every other weekend

In a fixed week where no driving was done then no non driving day records are needed

poleman:
This allows the company I drive for one day a week to monitor my working hours for their records.

This raises an interesting point. Who is legally responsible for monitoring the driver’s overall working hours (other than the driver themselves, of course)?

Is it the company they drive for, the agency who places them with that company, or the umbrella payroll company sharks who technically employ them and pay their wages?

Perhaps this has a bearing on how records should be maintained.

Nobody is really bothered about working hour records

Working hours when under EU regs are not connected to working hours in a non driving job