How to get trucks banned from city's

Why would the haulage industry as a whole run a campaign like they did?
Did they not see it coming (pardon the pun)
When LGVs are delivering to places which due to H&S segregates trucks and pedestrians, with walkways, barriers and cages to wait in.

Hmm, I wonder why them systems are in place?

Was it not because LGVs and pedestrians etc in the close proximity are a recipe for disaster, but the same H&S bods are happy to see their trucks leave their RDCs and let loose in a city centres where the driver basically can’t see anybody or anything around him.
You say so yourselves, look at the pictures!!

Any reasoned person would see these pics and think “then why the hell are they allowed in city centres then?”

Then we have the Cyclists Stay Back stickers !
Why?
Can the trucks not stay behind the cyclists?
When did your journey suddenly become so important that you dictate and order other road users what to do.

How would you feel if cyclists had Trucks Stay Back signs?

Usually on this forum when posters have nothing to offer to the debate and are losing, then puncuation becomes the main focus of the thread. To those types of posters (no names) here’s some to put in the right places
…,!!!‘’‘’'::::;;;;

I dont mind city driving just keeps you a wee bit more alert.What your option on the issue.

I’ll tell you why, because no one respects to the size of the truck anymore. Everyone has this mentality of “must get in front” at any cost. I’ve done city driving, hell I prefer it to farm work but you have to watch out for every other idiot because they can’t look after themselves.

To ride a bike in London you should be made to take a course. A short course that isn’t pass or fail but it will show you the dangers of trying to cut up traffic and HGVs.

There is a reason as to why we ask cyclists to stay back, that reason is because we are bigger and heavier than you. You have ZERO protection. Time and time again we’ve seen cyclists putting themselves in danger and many have become victims because of their own impatient.

To be fair, many cyclists aren’t idiots and do observe whats going on around them, same with drivers of large vehicles. Giving cylists room when overtaking, acknowledging them when you’ve stopped at traffic lights etc.

You can’t keep placing the blame on HGV’s then regulating them to death. At some point you will need to educate the other side. Its all well and good getting lorry drivers on a bike in London but nothing will happen until you show the cyclist what their riding style does and the damages it imposes.

chester:
Why would the haulage industry as a whole run a campaign like they did?
Did they not see it coming (pardon the pun)
When LGVs are delivering to places which due to H&S segregates trucks and pedestrians, with walkways, barriers and cages to wait in.

Hmm, I wonder why them systems are in place?

Was it not because LGVs and pedestrians etc in the close proximity are a recipe for disaster, but the same H&S bods are happy to see their trucks leave their RDCs and let loose in a city centres where the driver basically can’t see anybody or anything around him.
You say so yourselves, look at the pictures!!

Any reasoned person would see these pics and think “then why the hell are they allowed in city centres then?”

Why?
When did your journey suddenly become so important that you dictate and order other road users what to do.

Usually on this forum when posters have nothing to offer to the debate and are losing, then puncuation becomes the main focus of the thread. To those types of posters (no names) here’s some to put in the right places

The easy way to stop lorries going into town and city centres, stop buying stuff!

chester:

Like they could have a registration plate in its place most likely

chester:

Actually I think you’ll find that you’re the only one who prattles on about punctuation all the time

Radar19:
many cyclists aren’t idiots

Unlike chester.

And yes, chester, I’m a cyclist as well as a lorry-driver. And as a cyclist I have to say that very many of us are our own worst enemies regarding road safety

Shug:
And yes, chester, I’m a cyclist as well as a lorry-driver.

You replied as if I was in the least bit interested if you were a cyclist as well as a lorry driver, you totally read me wrong there.

Come on them smarty pants let’s hear your solution to big 'orrible hgvs,let’s take Manchester for example…there must be at least 500 deliveries into the city centre per week servicing the shops ect,what do the goods go on instead,Transit vans? What a great idea so instead of sending 500 wagons in working on the average of 20 vans needed per load that 1 HGV would take in that’s 10,000 vans every weeks been piled into an already congested city centre which in turn will based in statistics increase RTA as a law of averages so now we are back to square one…any other solutions?Maybe helicopters,no wait having 10,000 helicopters over head with pallets on winches could also cause its own problems too hhhmmmm

Don’t feed the troll.

Good, sooner they ban all HGV’s from city centres the better.

When the miserable horde therein turn cannibal through hunger we’ll point them at you the ■■■■■■ troll.

I know there’s not much going on under many cyclists helmets, but there must be some real thickos out there if they think any lorry driver these days wants to go anywhere near their precious dump, the only time you will ever find me within sniffing of that london crap hole is when i’m being well paid to be there.

chester:
Why?

Blimey I thought roaduser was thick.

Here’s a clue.The ‘stay back’ sign is on the ‘rear’ of the vehicle and obviously instructing any cyclist who’s planning on undertaking a potentially turning truck in contravention of rule 167 of the highway code.By definition the ‘cyclist’ obviously being ‘behind’ the ‘truck’ at that point which makes it a bit difficult for the ‘truck’ to stay ‘behind’ the ‘cyclist’ in that case. :unamused:

There is a simple answer as to why large goods vehicles display warnings and expect cyclists to stay back etc. I suggest the following experiment:-

Park a LGV in an appropriate place where it cannot cause danger to other road users. Drive/ride into it with a bicycle. Note the damage to both vehicles and injuries (if any) to the drivers.

Repeat above with the bicycle parked and drive over it with a LGV. Again, note the damage to the drivers and both vehicles. It is not recommended that a live cyclist be used in the second experiment.

The results of these experiments should be self explanatory.

Looking at that picture showing the blind spots reminded me of the eyesight test at a driver’s medical. No human being can possibly see all those areas at once, yet that is what we are expected to do. They can introduce cabs made totally of perspex if they want, but it won’t make a blind bit of difference ( :slight_smile: unless they reposition the human eye.

cav551:
unless they reposition the human eye.

SSSHHHHHHHH, dont put ideas in their heads

gardun:
There is a simple answer as to why large goods vehicles display warnings and expect cyclists to stay back etc. I suggest the following experiment:-

Park a LGV in an appropriate place where it cannot cause danger to other road users. Drive/ride into it with a bicycle. Note the damage to both vehicles and injuries (if any) to the drivers.

Repeat above with the bicycle parked and drive over it with a LGV. Again, note the damage to the drivers and both vehicles. It is not recommended that a live cyclist be used in the second experiment.

The results of these experiments should be self explanatory.

I don’t know, there’s one or two who I’d like to nominate!

You’ve got to laugh at Chester, especially when he feels the need to show us all that he’s a little bit ‘special’. Aren’t you, Brains?

chester:

Why? As a professional driver you should automatically.
And if you don’t someone can take your Registration and report you! :wink:

I feel partly responsible for all of this, against my better judgement I had a day as a box jockey a few months ago and delivered a container full of bikes to a place in London :blush:

Carryfast:
Blimey I thought roaduser was thick.

Here’s a clue.The ‘stay back’ sign is on the ‘rear’ of the vehicle and obviously instructing any cyclist who’s planning on undertaking a potentially turning truck in contravention of rule 167 of the highway code.By definition the ‘cyclist’ obviously being ‘behind’ the ‘truck’ at that point which makes it a bit difficult for the ‘truck’ to stay ‘behind’ the ‘cyclist’ in that case. :unamused:

Such a great success it was, that operators have been told to remove them.

My daughter has just given me a great idea. Instead of getting us lower down/bigger windows to see the cyclists.

Give all cyclists in London a penny farthing, thereby putting them at the same height as all the trucks, we can see them, they can see us. Problem solved.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk