How to get some class 1 exp?

Hi guys after recently passing class, 1 need to find some class1 work as current job has no trailers .

Prob is evrywhere i try wants experiance .Anybody no any firms that are favourable to new starters??

Agency, phone around, send out letters, visit op’s.
Don’t forget that not every operator of HGV’s is a haulage operator, there is a vast selection of job types & operator types out there, but unless YOU take the initiative then the no exsperience no work thing will be a problem.
Good luck.

I agree with Daxi, it can be difficult but your biggest barrier at the moment is no one knows you exist. Make calls, knock on doors, Agencies, etc. Try not to get despondent many transport firms are very poor at returning calls or answering letters, etc and will often say ‘no mate sorry’ simply because they cannot be bothered to deal with you.

Visit a few firms, ask to speak to TM or Driver Liaison and let them know you exist, offer to work casual for them if they get stuck.

There is no quick answer to this one and many new Drivers face this dilemma, stick with it, you will get there. Good luck. :smiley:

To repeat a suggestion made by another member some time ago.

Pick an area and Monday morning 0700, bag packed, safety gear adorned, get your arse round as many companies as you can. Leave Business cards with anyone who will accept one. I’ll bet within two hours you’ll get a call on the moby because someone has gone sick, or a load has been delayed, or an overspill run is required.

If it doesn’t work Monday, try elsewhere Tuesday.

And if you need to take a week’s Holiday to do it, then do it.

Living in London you wont have any problems getting straight into a HGV job as a newbie, best thing is to start with an agency. As with companies advertising 2 years experience required, when ive phoned them up as a newbie driver myself they dont even mention it even though they themselves advertised that as a requirement.

Thanks guys for your help andinfo will phone agenices and get in with them.

will go for weekend work to start to i get the job i want.
Thans again to all the trucknet members :smiley:

Davey Boy:
Thanks guys for your help andinfo will phone agenices and get in with them.

will go for weekend work to start to i get the job i want.
Thans again to all the trucknet members :smiley:

Good luck, hope you find something suitable :slight_smile:

Hi DaveyBoy

I was in the same boat a few months ago, your best bet as mentioned is to contact the companies in your area directly. I got 2 offers in the end.

Wincanton driving for Argos store deliveries and Roadways (P&O container work)

so thats 2 companies i know of will give class 1 newbiews a try

I took the latter and its working out well.

Good luck

Will try argos as i no they have a depot in my area. Am writing to dhl and nft …will aslo try agencies to see if weekend work is about so i can get exp with extra cash