How to get experience?

I can’t see any useless advice :unamused:

More like ‘Welcome to TruckNet’!!! :wink:

Hi all.RvN.The cold hard fact is that as you have little or no experience a CV is not going to do you much good.A CV has to contain useful and tantalizing information,and be well written for a prospective employer to even consider ringing you.If you are not British i suggest you get someone to help you write a CV if you want to have one.Remember,there are a lot of drivers already looking who ‘have’ experience and can present themselves well personally and with well written CV’s.
BUT at the end of the day your best bet is to go in person to people.When they see you then you have a chance to impress them with your enthusiasm and show them that ‘‘perhaps’’ you could be a good investment.
I have had several drivers write to me asking me to translate CV’s for them for prospective employers up here.The answer is the same ‘if you are in a foreign country you are already at a disadvantage,you have to go to a firm and present your case as to why they should employ you’.The same applies everywhere.
When i came up here i had almost 40yrs experience but to the people here i was an ‘‘unknown quantity’’ so had to prove myself.Good luck.Mike

If you don’t mind skip work try Mcgrath bros at hackney. Don’t mind taking on newbies but is busy and hard collar. Money not bad though.

My CV is fine, the reason is, what nowadays companies either agencies receives a lot of applicants with strong history.

RvN:
First Im not from Poland. Second I dont need yours useless advices. Third I ask for help, but no for court. Thank you for considering me.

!st. You’re not from East London either

2nd. I’d advise you to go home.

3rd. I’ll help you with the bus fare…

The way I got in to it was a skip firm on class 2 for 6 months just to get used to it, not want I wanted but stuck it out. Then I looked for some firms with high staff turnover and an older fleet cos they tend to be less fussy. But be carefull and don’t let them take the ■■■■

By the way I don’t drive on the rd anymore I can’t be bothered with the bull. I’m a shunter now and it pays very well so why bother with roads

DrivingMissDaisy:

RvN:
First Im not from Poland. Second I dont need yours useless advices. Third I ask for help, but no for court. Thank you for considering me.

yep totally agree i will spare loose change in my pocket to aid in purchase of a one way ticket out of here lol
+1

You should try to register with all of the agencies that are reasonably close to where you live.Skip and tipper firms often take who they can get,as they are in the less glamorous end of the industry.Remember that the economy is pants and there are lots of people looking for work at this time.Good luck with your search.

Learn the QUEENS grammar correctly first

JJ192:

DrivingMissDaisy:

RvN:

yep totally agree i will spare loose change in my pocket to aid in purchase of a one way ticket out of here lol
+1

+2

alamcculloch:
You should try to register with all of the agencies that are reasonably close to where you live.Skip and tipper firms often take who they can get,as they are in the less glamorous end of the industry.Remember that the economy is pants and there are lots of people looking for work at this time.Good luck with your search.

yeah mostly brits because this sad excuse for a ■■■■■■ allows foreigners to come and kill the industry for us brits lets add the fact of lowered the average wage too so they can send funds back home to theyre own countries think its time i become an ethnic minority in someone elses country rather than my own for a change.
I aint racist just have the right to stand up for my country (not that the government cares for our country).

toms dad:

What, German?

pete-b:

toms dad:

What, German?

Is German the first language of Mayfair then?

Ask BOSS@DRIVERS :smiley: :smiley:

Gunner Til I Die:
Right I don’t mean to be picky or spiteful but if your spoken English is of the same standard as your written English this could be part of the problem, I live with a girl who has English as a second language and she has no problems at all securing employment as she can’t speak and write English as well if not better in some cases than a born and bred Brit.

Should that be “she can speak and write English…”?

toms dad:

That should be “QUEEN’S”

People really should learn their native language before criticising other people.

he dont need useless advices he can spoke propa england lol he just wants a job incidentally wonder if he can read as well as he can spell if not highway code maybe a bit awkward :smiley:

I know the feeling here, Ive done 3 and half years Class 2 driving, but always wanted to do class 1, took the test and passed it end of July, Been Job hunting left right and centre for class 1 work no one wants to know you unless you got experience, Ive seen jobs going that need as little as 6months Class1 but then you still gotta get that from somewhere. Having looked through agencies I have generally found them unrelible I.E not returning calls, promising the earth and it doesn’t materilise.

My current firm doesnt run artics. the only solution I can think of is go to a firm that operates both types, take a class 2 job and prove myself. ive got a good record not a single accident or conviction and a CPC card.
Seems a no win situation need experience but no one will give it to you, and the industry wonder why theres a driver shortage, Im sure it will get worse when the old hands retire

To be honest once the novelty wears off class 1 ain’t all that, even if it doesn’t bend in the middle so long as it pays the bills.

Take windows out if you pay me more :smiley:

Goldfinger:
More like ‘Welcome to TruckNet’!!! :wink:

You summed it up.a treat there!