How to choose best possible driving school?(progress update)

Hi there,

I have been popping around here for a while now to build some knowledge about LGV training and such. Finally time has come and I need to take steps. I’ve been browsing the list of recommended schools and feel a bit overwhelmed by the choice. I am based in Luton and I am happy to travel 40 mile radius just to get the best training training possible. I will be going all the way from cat B to C+E so good tutoring is paramount. Price wise, well I already acknowledged that it is better to pay a little bit extra and learn properly so £2.5-3k is a must.

To be honest I feel tempted by the Stobarts driver training scheme as they popped up in Northamptonshire but I believe they have their training centrer somewhere up north. Another school I am looking at is Road train near Dartford Crossing( they have full size artic and u can pass test where you learn) Any advices are highly appreciated. Hopefully next year there will be no more dead end job in a warehouse for me :smiley:

Anyone has recently learnt at the above schools or could personally say something about any recommended school from around Beds, Herts, Essex (m25 corridor only) and Northants??

I tried to contact Roadtrain via phone and their web site and had no reply from either, so gave that one a miss. They seem to get good comments though from people on here but if I cant contact them, their not for me…Flair in Chelmsford have a good rep also, bit further afield though.

IDEA = wallaceschool.co.uk/hgv-training-dunstable/

Dave,

They got back to me via email with opening times and recommended ringing them for a written quote. I believe they are also open to visits. Never heard of Wallace school on here but I believe they are sort of broker but they are definitely using CTT, Leighton Buzzard manoeuvring park.

Another question is… Well I do not have UK cat B licence I have EU equivalent which has the same power as UK manual but since I am planning to upgrade the licence here in the UK I guess I need to replace my old licence with UK one, dont I? Is it possible to apply for provisional cat C and at the same time replace EU cat B to UK so when it arrives it will include provisional C licence or how does it work? Honestly I am trying to avoid paying £55 for replacing EU licence and save myself sending paper work multiple times to DVLA.

We employed at instructor that left Wallace, I believe they are not a broker but are in fact a good driving school. As always the best way to find your ‘perfect’ school is to visit them for a driving assessment, lasts about an hour. If they can’t offer you one find another school, you should need not want to try them out first, have a few assessments at different places. As for your licence, you might be able to do it all with a D2 pack from the DVLA, there is a link on our website to order one but you will still have to pay.

Wallace have many training locations using their own vehicles much like J Coates have and neither of those companies are brokers

I am not sure if I will get assessment without provisional cat C licence( road train I mentioned above offered me one but asked for uk licence with the counter part :unamused: ). On the other hand I need to clarify if i need UK cat B in the first place and then start the whole new application process.

ROG I will give Wallace a ring or just pop in there, they are not too far. First I need to sort out my mess at DVLA.

Blacov89:
I am not sure if I will get assessment without provisional cat C licence( road train I mentioned above offered me one but asked for uk licence with the counter part :unamused: ). On the other hand I need to clarify if i need UK cat B in the first place and then start the whole new application process.

ROG I will give Wallace a ring or just pop in there, they are not too far. First I need to sort out my mess at DVLA.

You will need provisional LGV C to be allowed to do an on-road assessment drive

Blacov89:
Dave,

They got back to me via email with opening times and recommended ringing them for a written quote. I believe they are also open to visits. Never heard of Wallace school on here but I believe they are sort of broker but they are definitely using CTT, Leighton Buzzard manoeuvring park.

Wallace are definitely not brokers. They’re a proper driving school and have their own vehicles. They also do HIAB, CPC and other transport-related training.

I’ve contacted DVLA to find out how to sort out provisional licence. They told me I can use D2 form and sort out both at the same time. They gave a reference number which further needs to be enclosed on application and advised they will need my old licence and indentity photo. All in for £43 fee :sunglasses:

I thought it is worth mentioning as there may be other people in similar situation.

Once everything is back from DVLA, It will be the time to pop around some schools and see what they’re like.

Little update. Since I’ve ordered D2 application pack from DVLA it all arrived promptly however it said there is D4 (medical part) included it didnt arrive! Just the D2 on its own. Normally it is not a problem as it is available to print from the web but my printer is broken :unamused:

Found the doctor for medicals in the sticky thread and If I can sort out the medical paper work, my application will be on the way to DVLA. I will have a look at the post office as I remember there are loads of DVLA forms. Next step would be purchase of theory books and hazard perception materials and shooping around for a good place to learn how to handle the truck. Even though my young age I’ve done big mileage pretty much all over the continent and the UK I am slightly worried, especially the gearbox and reversing is daunting.

Any ideas for good materials for theory and hazard revision?

I couldn’t get the D4 form at my Post Office, they just don’t stock them and it was a large central office. I just downloaded the form and went to my local library to print it off (10p per page). When you book medical ask to see if the Dr carries them, I believe some do. Even local LGV trainers seem to have them available…

I found an App on my phone worked well for me on Theory and Hazard (cost £5) broke it down into sections and you could do mock tests too. Also gave explanations of the answers which was helpful as I had no idea on the LGV specific questions prior to learning the theory.

Dave

rightdriver.co.uk/highway-code/heavy_vehicle/

Medicals done, the doctor had already some D4’s ready. Gonna fill up D2 and send everything to DVLA.

When they come back or before hand go & visit several training providers speak to them ask questions you could book an assessment drive if you want

I have 2-3 schools short listed and I am already planning to visit them. Meanwhile I did post my DVLA stuff to the wrong postcode (still DVLA but other depoartment) :confused: :confused: I am very upset. Hopefully it will not come back to me as I paid quite a lot for a special delivery (there are original identity documents enclosed) and also prepaid envelope for return postage. It will definitely not speed up the process :imp:

Happy days! Little update on my LGV driver project.

My fresh UK licence just arrived and finally I can move to stage 2 which is HPT and theory test. Just a quick revision and I am ready to book my tests. Regarding training school I am pretty sure I will be going with Peter Smythe Transport Training for my class 2 training. Also I would like to praise DVLA for a quick return (had to exchange my old EU licence and on top of that I’ve sent it to the wrong department) It took them just 17days :slight_smile:

I passed class c at roadtrain just this week and I rate them , very friendly bunch and the trainer I had Derek was very patient with me

Blacov89:
Happy days! Little update on my LGV driver project.

My fresh UK licence just arrived and finally I can move to stage 2 which is HPT and theory test. Just a quick revision and I am ready to book my tests. Regarding training school I am pretty sure I will be going with Peter Smythe Transport Training for my class 2 training. Also I would like to praise DVLA for a quick return (had to exchange my old EU licence and on top of that I’ve sent it to the wrong department) It took them just 17days :slight_smile:

If Peters crew can get me to pass then you should be fine!

First of all if anyone feels bad about digging out this fairly old thread. Pleas forgive me. I just didnt want to create dozen of similar topics. It has been sometime since I’ve started my quest to obtain lgv licence so I tought I will share my current progress and experience. Since I’ve done my medicals at the end of November I managed to exchange my EU licence and get UK equivalent with added provisional C cat. then I did a bit of research of recommended LGV schools. Eventually settled with a well known trainer on here - PSTT. Having a successful assessment drive there (actually being first time ever in a vehicle of this size). Shortly before Xmas break I managed to get through theory and HPT. Unfortunately I couldnt get desired date for practical course and test so I have a month to spare so I decided to take my CPC mod 2 test after some revision to tick another box required.

Should I also apply for digi tacho or leave it at the last moment and do it together with CPC mod 4?
Anyone going straight to class 1 could share his/her experience on the process

. Finally is there a newbie that went from zero straight to class 1 driving and actually landed a job?!

Any replies appreciated.