How times have changed for Audi

The underdogs are now the leaders it would seem with Audi confirming a partnership with the Chinese state owned behemoth car manufacturer SAIC who own the MG Marque among others to supply Audi with it’s advanced EV platform & software. :open_mouth:
electrek.co/2023/07/20/chinas-s … 1#comments

lancpudn:
The underdogs are now the leaders it would seem with Audi confirming a partnership with the Chinese state owned behemoth car manufacturer SAIC who own the MG Marque among others to supply Audi with it’s advanced EV platform & software. :open_mouth:

Not a surprise really. Lots of marques seem to be behind the curve for developing EV platforms. Rather choosing to shoe horn in EV architecture to an ICE platform.

Saic are one of the world’s largest automakers and own shares or JV ventures in lots of marques and technology. China is streets ahead of the game for EV vehicles.

MG is going from strength to strength after a slow tumultuous start under the Chinese brand. Fastest growing car brand in the UK. Yes the products are not the very best and not exactly class leading, but they have bespoke EV platforms aplenty, battery facilities. They are able to produce keenly priced EV’s, the MG 4 X power is available to order now, 36k for a family hatch, fully electric, AWD with front and rear motors, over 400bhp from memory and sub 4 sec 0 to 60 I think without double checking all the figures.

The Cyberster sports car is also rumoured to be available soon, yes possibly 50k ish but for an electric sports car, again I think AWD and rumoured I think to have a sub 3 sec 0 to 60, again a keenly priced EV vehicle.

MG really are attacking the EV market head on, still selling some ice and hybrid vehicles but focusing on full EV’s now for every new car. Each vehicle they have produced seems to get better and better. And yes I owned an MG 3 and briefly an MG 6.

Now I have a Skoda (VW AUDI GROUP) Octavia VRS, but tbh I wouldn’t say the build quality/materials is that much higher than the MG’s that get slated for it. It has its scratchy plastics here and there etc.

As Clarkson said give it 5 or so years and we will all be driving Chinese cars. Ok maybe a little longer but it does seem to be coming true.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

simcor:

lancpudn:

Not a surprise really. Lots of marques seem to be behind the curve for developing EV platforms. Rather choosing to shoe horn in EV architecture to an ICE platform.

Saic are one of the world’s largest automakers and own shares or JV ventures in lots of marques and technology. China is streets ahead of the game for EV vehicles.

MG is going from strength to strength after a slow tumultuous start under the Chinese brand. Fastest growing car brand in the UK. Yes the products are not the very best and not exactly class leading, but they have bespoke EV platforms aplenty, battery facilities. They are able to produce keenly priced EV’s, the MG 4 X power is available to order now, 36k for a family hatch, fully electric, AWD with front and rear motors, over 400bhp from memory and sub 4 sec 0 to 60 I think without double checking all the figures.

The Cyberster sports car is also rumoured to be available soon, yes possibly 50k ish but for an electric sports car, again I think AWD and rumoured I think to have a sub 3 sec 0 to 60, again a keenly priced EV vehicle.

MG really are attacking the EV market head on, still selling some ice and hybrid vehicles but focusing on full EV’s now for every new car. Each vehicle they have produced seems to get better and better. And yes I owned an MG 3 and briefly an MG 6.

Now I have a Skoda (VW AUDI GROUP) Octavia VRS, but tbh I wouldn’t say the build quality/materials is that much higher than the MG’s that get slated for it. It has its scratchy plastics here and there etc.

As Clarkson said give it 5 or so years and we will all be driving Chinese cars. Ok maybe a little longer but it does seem to be coming true.

You have answered your own presumption, when skoda came on the seen they were a joke with no hope of ever producing quality, just cheap and from a country that itself was poor, still a basic car but a big company behind it now

Some big moves going on in the Chinese car market after Audi signed up with SAIC to use their skateboard platform & software. VW just bought $700million of shares in X-Peng a high market BEV manufacturer who have really good ev’s & software/lidar which will allow VW to build their BEV’s & ship them worldwide from China cheaper than they can make them in Germany.
If I was a German car worker I’d be very worried.

Mitsubishi has just suspended operations there indefinitely & Toyota just laid off 1000 car workers two days ago because of their lack of BEV models, Stellantis’s Jeep have already gone bankrupt & left China.
Japanese car manufacturers are seeing their sales tumble in China as they are so far behind the Chinese EV manufacturers.
Nissan sales down 45.8% in the last quarter
Mazda sales down 66.5% in the first quarter
Honda sales down 38.2%
Toyota & Lexus sales down 14.5%
electrek.co/2023/07/24/toyota-f … oll-china/

simcor:

lancpudn:

I own a MG 5 and for its price range it hits the mark £30k when I got my preface lift last year on the Excite trim only other trim choice was executive that only gives you leather seats , key less entry and roof bars over the Excite .
Build quality and parts let it down at the moment
I do like upsetting the boy racers at the lights :laughing: 155bhp and no gear box to slow me down I do wheel spin off the line opps

blue estate:

simcor:

lancpudn:

I own a MG 5 and for its price range it hits the mark £30k when I got my preface lift last year on the Excite trim only other trim choice was executive that only gives you leather seats , key less entry and roof bars over the Excite .
Build quality and parts let it down at the moment
I do like upsetting the boy racers at the lights [emoji38] 155bhp and no gear box to slow me down I do wheel spin off the line opps

Yeah I seem to remember you saying you had a 5. Tbh I do like the sound of the MG4 X power tbh now available to order. Not sure on electric yet mind but that would be on the running for me if I could afford to splash out £36k on a new car.

What where/are the best cars in terms of build quality?

My vw is well screwed together,but I’m not confident the tech will hold out.
My toyota has a 10 year warranty…so they must be fairly confident.

I got an invite to test drive the MG4 at MG Motors Wigan so we went yesterday, Very nice smooth responsive drive with more tech than my Gen 1 MG ZS EV, Bi-directional power outlet in the boot/hatchback too which will run some appliances :sunglasses: I really liked it but the driving position was a little tight for my lanky frame & what’s with all the rage with hexagonal steering wheels? Round ones are fine.

Took a hybrid yaris out yesterday morning,and was pleasantly surprised.
Was quite enjoying zipping around town in ev mode.

Wouldn’t write the Germans off…just yet.
youtu.be/hFrKzH2UZ1c

Yeah I seem to remember you saying you had a 5. Tbh I do like the sound of the MG4 X power tbh now available to order. Not sure on electric yet mind but that would be on the running for me if I could afford to splash out £36k on a new car.

The acceleration on the MG4 X POWER is mind blowing, Chorley Group motors took one to the Three Sisters Raceway in Wigan the other day to stretch it’s legs :open_mouth: The drag race starts at 12:20. youtube.com/watch?v=i0_5yKp1LxU&t=944s

lancpudn:

The acceleration on the MG4 X POWER is mind blowing, Chorley Group motors took one to the Three Sisters Raceway in Wigan the other day to stretch it’s legs :open_mouth: The drag race starts at 12:20. youtube.com/watch?v=i0_5yKp1LxU&t=944s

Yeah I watched that myself yesterday bodes well for the Cyberster coming next year which will be even better and faster.

lancpudn:

What an ugly looking yoke that is though :laughing:

VW plans to use even more Chinese manufacturers EV platforms & software from Leap motors, X-Peng & SAIC. Audi have also teamed up Alibaba & IM motors JV to use their platform & software. Will it soon be the case of the Chinese state making all of Germany’s electric cars from now on? :open_mouth:
How much more EV production are they going to move out of Germany to China. carnewschina.com/2023/08/02/ger … and-xpeng/
youtube.com/watch?v=lK1TOBc5Txc&t=310s