How things have changed

Due to a change in circumstances I have had to return to driving. After a break of 25 years I am once again behind the wheel of an Artic. I was a young man then, there wasnt any auto’s and nowhere near as much comfort. There was though a bit more respect and camaraderie. I am quite shocked at the manners and attitude of many of the drivers I have come across. Amazed at how other drivers seem to be more likely to video a driver struggling on a reverse than jump out and offer advice or guidance. Good to know that back door men and fork lift drivers are still the bunch of jumped up wonkers they always were.

Time moves on I guess.

it’s called progress mate. Like I have said on here many times about rate cutting and drivers saying it is just part of the job. When will they OR WILL NOT UNDERSTAND THAT rate cutting cuts their wages? They say it’s okay for wincanton stobbies etc to cut rates. IT IS NOT!!! it is taking money out of drivers/warehouse persons pockets. Norberts have taken a foothold in this country. can you see any British company taking a foothold in France? No, because they have more sense.

Edited

I’ve been driving on & off part time for 21 years MLT, so I get where you’re coming from.

There’s been a huge increase in rules & regs, truck technology, tacho technology, the introduction of VOSA and more recently their loading/strapping rules, OCRS, 'Elf & Safety BS, POA, no 30 + 15 mins break,and the list goes on. Also a HUGE increase in traffic over that time, whilst pay has increased over the past 10 years by, errr, not much if at all.

Also totally agree much less camaradie, but I think some of that comes about by other drivers not stopping if they see you broken down because they know there’s probably nothing they can do to help. They just assume you have a phone and will await tyre fitter’s van or fitter with laptop to plug in to the truck to find out what’s up. In some ways it was much easier, and certainly more interesting when you just got the spanners out & at least effected a temporary repair to get the truck home.

There seems to be an increase in drivers who wont listen to advice; Do they think it’s a sign of weakness if another driver says “back in from the other direction or you’ll hit the gatepost…”?
:unamused:

Muckaway:
There seems to be an increase in drivers who wont listen to advice; Do they think it’s a sign of weakness if another driver says “back in from the other direction or you’ll hit the gatepost…”?

+1

Andy smg:
Get yirself an easy night trunk if possible my friend.
Driving in the UK on days in these times will send you to your maker that little bit earlier I’m afraid… :wink:

This is a good example of how people can have exact opposite opinions. I reckon driving through the night is a short cut to the grave. Either through falling asleep at the wheel, or a more general grinding down of the body by working all night and sleeping during the day. Look at night trunkers who`ve been doing it for a while, they seldom look exactly “healthy” do they?
Just my opinion.

edited

Muckaway:

I don’t understand the attitude of some, if a new driver turns up from an agency I’ll give them the keys , paperwork etc. and offer directions to their delivery or the easiest way to go (low bridges , narrow roads etc), usually I get "I’ll find it myself thanks I’ve got a sat-nav "
fine carry on !
Last week I offered to give a driver a hand to fold up a 40’ fly sheet, his answer "I’d prefer to do it myself thankyou "
I haven’t got a problem with any of this but it’s a very different world to when I started 40years ago.

The job has changed, but for the better, certainly a lot easier now.

weeto:

Do you really think so?

I agree that the physical act of driving has got easier what with auto boxes, cruise control, sound proofed cabs etc, but I’d argue that the job itself is much, much more difficult. Increased traffic levels, jit deliveries, enforcement and regs beyond belief, planners straight out of school rather than ex drivers, the list is endless.

So physically the job has got easier, but mentally it’s not too much fun and it seems like the whole job’s a battleground these days.

DADDY LONGLEGS:
it’s called progress mate. Like I have said on here many times about rate cutting and drivers saying it is just part of the job. When will they OR WILL NOT UNDERSTAND THAT rate cutting cuts their wages? They say it’s okay for wincanton stobbies etc to cut rates. IT IS NOT!!! it is taking money out of drivers/warehouse persons pockets.

But that’s how a free market economy work. When I buy diesel, I buy it at the most favourable price I can, I don’t give a monkey’s how much the bloke on the till earns. Why would anybody else be any different?

Harry Monk:

DADDY LONGLEGS:
it’s called progress mate. Like I have said on here many times about rate cutting and drivers saying it is just part of the job. When will they OR WILL NOT UNDERSTAND THAT rate cutting cuts their wages? They say it’s okay for wincanton stobbies etc to cut rates. IT IS NOT!!! it is taking money out of drivers/warehouse persons pockets.

But that’s how a free market economy work. When I buy diesel, I buy it at the most favourable price I can, I don’t give a monkey’s how much the bloke on the till earns. Why would anybody else be any different?

Because according to some, normal business rules don’t apply to haulage :wink:

weeto:

how’s it easier?
we have to sleep when a tacho says it’s time to sleep. we don’t get to sleep or rest when we want. the EU dictate when we eat, sleep and have a dump.
i’ve run out of fortnightly hours a few times on a thursday night, or friday morning, but i’ve carried on for 6 hours to get home. so for me, it can be much harder nowadays, especially if i play by the stupid rules.

Trev_H:

Muckaway:

I don’t understand the attitude of some, if a new driver turns up from an agency I’ll give them the keys , paperwork etc. and offer directions to their delivery or the easiest way to go (low bridges , narrow roads etc), usually I get "I’ll find it myself thanks I’ve got a sat-nav "
fine carry on !

I’ve had several ‘old timers’ reel off a comprehensive list of directions, from yard to destination, unprompted. In one case (near the end of a tiring day), I tried to explain that I wasn’t sufficiently familiar with any of the landmarks to which he was referring (and at least part of the route was already familiar to me and didn’t need to be described, but he was also describing that in unfamiliar ways too), and that the number of steps he was describing were simply too many for me to memorise, but it had no effect on him - he was a like a doll that had had its string (self-)pulled.

I ended up having to use the sat-nav anyway, and what I could remember of his labyrinthine directions was negligible. Perhaps in the past either he or I would have had a map and a highlighter to hand, but we didn’t. And when I got to the yard at the destination (dark by this time), which had also been described in painful, meaningless detail to me, I had to get out and speak to somebody on site anyway to find the appropriate bay.

My experience is that intimate knowledge of the route to a drop is really only of value if it contradicts the sat-nav in an important way, or if it describes some important difficulty about the actual yard, and in each case the advice is really only of use if it is brief and clear.

Trev_H:
Last week I offered to give a driver a hand to fold up a 40’ fly sheet, his answer "I’d prefer to do it myself thankyou "
I haven’t got a problem with any of this but it’s a very different world to when I started 40years ago.

Perhaps it’s because people have their own routines with its own subtleties. I’ve had ‘help’ in the past with ordinary tasks, and it often takes longer and consumes more mental effort than if I had simply done it myself. A common one is where people bring your numberplate to you when you’re dropping a trailer. I have already tried to design my drop routine to be as easy, efficient, and reliable as possible for one man to perform (and 99% of the time I will be on my own), so all their unprompted help does is disrupt the rhythm of that routine and distract my concentration - and often necessitates redundant checks or introduces additional steps.

Another common ‘helping’ task is that of the impromptu banksman. I never ask for help reversing, but occasionally someone gives it - it’s almost invariably worthless and distracting. It is uncommon to find reversing tasks that can’t be done on driver judgment alone.

I’m quite sure the world is different to when you started 40 years ago. Perhaps those were the days when drivers helped each other with more substantial endeavours, like protecting pay and conditions, rather than romanticising the days when maps were paper or when it took two men to drop a trailer or fold a sheet. I’ve met many friendly and helpful drivers, but none of them would say boo to a goose, let alone help fight a boss.

Harry Monk:

DADDY LONGLEGS:

Surely you can see, if the free market is something that leads to everybody’s wages going to rock bottom, then perhaps that isn’t a good thing?

The free market really only benefits owners, because owners are consumers but they are not workers (who are subject to oppressive working conditions and low pay in order to “serve consumers”).

ste87:

Harry Monk:

DADDY LONGLEGS:

Surely you can see, if the free market is something that leads to everybody’s wages going to rock bottom, then perhaps that isn’t a good thing?

The free market really only benefits owners, because owners are consumers but they are not workers (who are subject to oppressive working conditions and low pay in order to “serve consumers”).

So you never buy anything then?

the maoster:

weeto:

Do you really think so?

I agree that the physical act of driving has got easier what with auto boxes, cruise control, sound proofed cabs etc, but I’d argue that the job itself is much, much more difficult. Increased traffic levels, jit deliveries, enforcement and regs beyond belief, planners straight out of school rather than ex drivers, the list is endless.

So physically the job has got easier, but mentally it’s not too much fun and it seems like the whole job’s a battleground these days.

I don’t get this thing about more traffic on the roads, I seem to think its a lot quieter now, than what it was say 15 years ago, back then they were saying every major road will be grid locked day and night, that doesn’t seem to have happened.
I do containers mainly out of Felixstowe, and even that place has improved drastically over the years, and that also includes Southampton and Thames Port.
I think Seaforth and Tilbury are beyond help, lol.
Never had a problem at an RDC or any of the delivery points I go to, I think a lot of the rants you hear of bad experiences at them, are caused by not having the attitude.
If the original poster is looking, he won’t go far wrong doing containers, best job going for a chilled out driver.
Stress?, professionals don’t suffer from stress!!!
I think some drivers just moan about the job, because of either ■■■■ poor performance on there part, or they are not cut out to be in the industry!!

Harry Monk:

DADDY LONGLEGS:

I illustrated this last night. I walked past the smalltime convenience store on our estate (which inside hasn’t changed since I was at secondary school) and went to Lidls for a few odds n sods. Five minute walk each way longer but I got some nice cakes and chocolate bars for silly money.

Plus Mrs Muckaway got a nice bunch of roses for £2.

:smiley: