How the hell do I cook anything?

So I’m starting the tramper life week after next so obviously looking at getting kitted out for it. I won’t ask the usual what do I take question, it’s been answered a million times already.

My problem is the company I work for say we aren’t allowed to use inverters (apparently screw with the internal electrics or some crap like that). We’re also not allowed to use gas cookers in the cab after someone in the past burnt out a whole unit by knocking it over. That’s OK when I can cook outside and I’m parked up where that’s possible, but what about the rest of the time. What do they expect me to live on? Crap reheated, extortionately priced food from services?

I’m thinking the inverter issue is probably from someone in the past buying some cheap knock off import that’s fried the electrics. Being new to the job and the company I’m not in any rush to be risking it though.

A penny for your thoughts?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Inverter ban? What a joke. My guess is driver who caused that kept blowing a fuse, so replaced fuse with a higher one and then ■■■■■■ the whole thing up. Keep it sensible and make sure you don’t pull too much power through it. Take it home at weekends and keep it out of sight if they are coming for a download etc.

Gas cooking is also fine if you are careful, make sure it’s well ventilated and put the doors on the latch so gas doesn’t collect in the footwell and build up. Trying to do it outside is fine when it’s not windy or rainy, but this is Britain we’re talking about here.

No gas cooker, and no inverter,
Ask the boss how does he expect you to eat without gas or lectricy.

If the wagon is yours to use all the time why not ask if you can have the invertor hard wired straight to the batteries by an electrician? That’s how my invertor is done.
I cant see how they know you are using a gas stove in the cab if you don’t tell them :smiling_imp: Just open the windows and sunroof whilst cooking and dont make a mess!

Or look for parking nearby pubs/cafes/supermarkets with cafes that will serve you good food.

I’m thinking along the same lines, just do it and don’t get caught. I didn’t know if they could have some non standard wiring done that could be damaged by using an inverter. I’m a bit clueless on the electronics in these units. It’s a 17 plate xf 460 if anyone knows much about them.

Will probably get a little inverter to start with and just run a kettle to start with then upgrade to microwave or electric skillet possibly in future.

I’m not keen on the idea of using a gas stove in the cab. I’ve used these for years camping and never had any trouble but I’m just that unlucky, I’d be the next person torching a cab by accident.

msgyorkie:
Or look for parking nearby pubs/cafes/supermarkets with cafes that will serve you good food.

You’re talking rocking horse doo doo there.

Most trucks will happily run a 300w inverter thro the aux socket, any bigger then you need to hard wire direct to batteries, if you’ve got Anderson socket, then you just need to make a lead up.

kscoombs:
I’m thinking along the same lines, just do it and don’t get caught. I didn’t know if they could have some non standard wiring done that could be damaged by using an inverter. I’m a bit clueless on the electronics in these units. It’s a 17 plate xf 460 if anyone knows much about them.

Will probably get a little inverter to start with and just run a kettle to start with then upgrade to microwave or electric skillet possibly in future.

I’m not keen on the idea of using a gas stove in the cab. I’ve used these for years camping and never had any trouble but I’m just that unlucky, I’d be the next person torching a cab by accident.

You’d need a large inverter to power the kit you’re talking about and that would need connecting directly to the battery. Gas would be my choice but that takes away the microwave meals option if that was the road you intended going down. If eating microwave meals is your thing you might as well eat in any old cafe etc and not have the worry ( :slight_smile: ) of upsetting the boss. Your firm sound like a shower of ■■■■■■■■■ btw.

Buy a big flask, even the most obnoxious security men wont refuse to fill your flask for you,

Ask the bosses wife to pack you up, tell him she does it for other drivers [emoji12]

Get yourself an inverter and one of these:

atleadsandlooms.co.uk/products/a … mega-fuse/

No need to hard wire or mess around with the electrics and just take inverter home at weekends. Obviously your motor needs an Anderson connection on it somewhere.

biggriffin:
Most trucks will happily run a 300w inverter thro the aux socket, any bigger then you need to hard wire direct to batteries, if you’ve got Anderson socket, then you just need to make a lead up.

I think hardwiring is a no go as they’re lease trucks as far as I’m aware. And as for Anderson socket, I think there’s one on the catwalk but not inside that I know of. You mean make up a lead and run it into the cab from the anderson socket outside? Not sure how I’d go about that but could definitely have a better look on Monday.

Write to the boss and tell him that you quit SIMPLES.
It’s a basic need end of.

TiredAndEmotional:

kscoombs:

You’d need a large inverter to power the kit you’re talking about and that would need connecting directly to the battery. Gas would be my choice but that takes away the microwave meals option if that was the road you intended going down. If eating microwave meals is your thing you might as well eat in any old cafe etc and not have the worry ( :slight_smile: ) of upsetting the boss. Your firm sound like a shower of [zb] btw.

Pretty sure the company may well fall into you shower of ■■■■ category as you say but being new to the game there wasn’t a huge choice in who would take on new drivers around here and I don’t know any different so the only way is up.

As for a micro meals, not what I had planned at all, as you say that’s pretty much what you get around a pub/cafe these days. You’d be amazed at what you can cook in a microwave with a little know how. I don’t have said know how but my old friend Google does.

Look at this on eBay

12/24/220V Electric Heating Lunch Box Storage Container Food Warm Heater Car Van

rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre … 2568318925

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Try getting a 24 microwave.bit more expensive had mine for about 15 years with no issues

I’d be getting an inverter and throw the lead out the passenger door (to the Anderson plug), while I fire up 240v microwave, then hide the inverter under the bunk or in your bag when not in use. This Asda Daewoo QT1 microwave should fit in the overhead locker direct.asda.com/daewoo-qt1-14l- … lt,pd.html

Gas cooker, one of the flat ones, and don’t burn the cab down. It’s not difficult.

What the office doesn’t know, won’t hurt you. :sunglasses:

Our company have started hardwiring a loom for us to connect inverters, don’t try hooking it up yourself. I am sure your boss doesn’t want you plugging such a device into the 12V outlet in case you burn the truck out.
I am dead set against having a small gas cooker in the cab as having one myself in the late 80’s I nearly died on night at Chesterfield truck stop when I dozed off with the stove burning, I was dragged out of the cab with carbon dioxide poisoning.

Does your company pay you a meal allowance ? They may consider your night out money is there for you to buy food on the road.

Pat Hasler:
Our company have started hardwiring a loom for us to connect inverters, don’t try hooking it up yourself. I am sure your boss doesn’t want you plugging such a device into the 12V outlet in case you burn the truck out.
I am dead set against having a small gas cooker in the cab as having one myself in the late 80’s I nearly died on night at Chesterfield truck stop when I dozed off with the stove burning, I was dragged out of the cab with carbon dioxide poisoning.

Does your company pay you a meal allowance ? They may consider your night out money is there for you to buy food on the road.

Sounds like you were very lucky indeed. That’s exactly the kind of thing I’d expect my bad luck to bring me, so unsurprisingly not keen on gas either.

Now you mention it, they do pay £10/week meal allowance so no doubt they’d say I don’t need to cook because £2.50 will get you a meal for four nights. I didn’t pay too much attention to this on my pay slip the first few weeks.