How strange is this

Hi all , well a strange thing happened this evening, I was travelling as passenger in a car for about 2 hours & suddenly became very travel sick, so much so to the point of almost throwing up !! :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
Now, as a driver, & been driving for years, I certainly would never had expected that !!

Has anyone else ever had that (travel sickness) to suddenly happen ?

Travel sickness never happens when you are actually driving because your eyes are in sync with the surroundings but it is very common in passengers who aren’t looking at the road.

I’ve been driving HGVs for nearly 40 years, and it’s not unknown for me to feel travel-sick as a passenger. I’m fine if I’m driving, or I’ve got something to occupy my mind, but if I’m just sat there…

No.

2 questions:

1. Were you sitting in the back?

2. Were there any unusual smells like a fuel leak, fuel vapour, exhaust leak, etc?

As a child I suffered travel sickness in both cars and coaches but never in my dads lorry. In the lorry I could always see ahead.
Then in the early nineties I suffered motion sickness after a very long hard week of driving, may have had some short daily rests and driven over my hours this was pre limiter days and we would have the clog hard to the floor all day. :grimacing:

trucken:
I’ve been driving HGVs for nearly 40 years, and it’s not unknown for me to feel travel-sick as a passenger. I’m fine if I’m driving, or I’ve got something to occupy my mind, but if I’m just sat there…

Hi trucken, I have never been travel si know before , & really found the experience quite a horrible & shocking feeling :blush: :frowning: I did try to occupy myself but to no avail :neutral_face:

Driveroneuk:
No.

2 questions:

1. Were you sitting in the back?

2. Were there any unusual smells like a fuel leak, fuel vapour, exhaust leak, etc?

Hi driveroneuk,
Yes, I was sitting in the back jammed I the middle
No, there were no horrible or unusual smells

Wrinkly:
As a child I suffered travel sickness in both carsickness before , but never in my dads lorry. In the lorry I could always see ahead even in the early nineties I suffered motion sickness after a very long hard week of driving, may have had some short daily rests and driven over my hours this was pre limiter days and we would have the clog hard to the floor all day. :grimacing:

Hi wrinkly, I can understand how it may come back if you had the sickness before, as something may have triggered it . I have never had it before, not even when I was a kid, so was well shocked to feel the way I did :open_mouth:

I can’t read or use my mobile as a passenger. Makes me feel properly unwell.

Hi nove, I’ve heard people say about feeling unwell if they read , I’m thinking I’d better get some travel sick pills for the journey home as I’ve 3- 4 hours to suffer on the return trip :frowning:

People who do suffer travel sickness are often far more likely to suffer if sitting in the back, especially if the shock absorbers are worn and it bounces a bit.

Suggest crystallised ginger instead of travel sickness pills. It tastes quite nice too.

I’m lucky in that I’ve never suffered from it… except for a short period of time. Many, many years ago when I was a kid I suddenly started suffering from car sickness really badly.
Turns out to be, on this 2nd hand car my Dad had bought, where the rubber filler hose connected to the fuel tank (which was in the boot in those days) the clip was loose allowing petrol fumes to seep into the rear seat area. He fixed it & my sickness was cured instantly.

yep I cant do passenger seat I go green and make helicopter noises :open_mouth:

Driverneuk:
People who do suffer travel sickness are ten far more likely to suffer if sitting in the back, especially if the shock absorbers are worn and it bounces a bit.

Suggest crystallised ginger instead of travel sickness pills. It tastes quite nice too.

I’m lucky in that I’ve never suffered from it… except for a short period of time. Many, many years ago when I was a kid I suddenly started suffering from car sickness really badly.
Turns out to be, on this 2nd hand car my Dad had bought, where the rubber filler hose connected to the fuel tank (which was in the boot in those days) the clip was loose allowing petrol fumes to seep into the rear seat area. He fixed it & my sickness was cured instantly.

thanks, I’ll try crystallised ginger, see if that works & I think I will sit by the door too, just in case of a hastey evacuation :neutral_face:

nick2008:
yep I cant do passenger seat I go green and make helicopter noises :open_mouth:

Hi nick, have you always felt like that travelling?

Nope only since I was 19/20 ish then I would do this :grimacing: and throw up :blush:

It’s a horrible feeling isn’t it :confused: driveroneuk suggested crystallised ginger , I’m going to give it a try…I hope it works :neutral_face:

bonnie lass:
It’s a horrible feeling isn’t it :confused: driveroneuk suggested crystallised ginger , I’m going to give it a try…I hope it works :neutral_face:

I found not being a passenger works :wink:

I don’t travel well as a passenger. Feel sick instantly if reading or using phone. Fine when driving myself. Did a yacht skipper course once for the craic and had to stay below and plot route on maps in a storm and nearly ralphed up straight away. Came up top and was told to take the wheel and felt fine. I’ve tried aerobatics as a passenger and hated it, feeling violently Ill yet when doing em myself fine (mostly!). I’ve heard good things about ginger either as tablets or raw form.

Been driving all my adult life, I used to get very travel sick as a child, I still get travel sick in a Citroen for some reason unknown to me ? You will find that if you look out the window and observe what passes by you will not get sick. Travel sickness happens when the passenger takes their eyes off the road to read or watch something inside the vehicle, the body then senses it should not be moving and throws your system off balance. I only ever got sea sick once, in a force ten gale on a small ship in 100 degree heat when the A/C was not working, so I don’t think that was actually travel sickness but the heat, I have been in many a force ten since and not suffered. I have flow across the Atlantic countless times and never suffered either.

nick2008:

bonnie lass:

I found not being a passenger works :wink:

It was the first time in ages that I was not the driveer on this occasion :confused: :unamused:

Freight Dog:
I don’t travel well as a passenger. Feel sick instantly if reading or using phone. Fine when driving myself. Did a yacht skipper course once for the craic and had to stay below and plot route on maps in a storm and nearly ralphed up straight away. Came up top and was told to take the wheel and felt fine. I’ve tried aerobatics as a passenger and hated it, feeling violently Ill yet when doing em myself fine (mostly!). I’ve heard good things about ginger either as tablets or raw form.

Hi freight dog, I haven’t been on a boat/ ship for a long long time now, I used to travel well on them , I wonder how I’d be now! . The only aerobatics I do is when I trip over ! :blush: I’m going to try the ginger remedy, I don’t fancy the trip back feeling the same way :sunglasses:

Pat Hasler:
Been driving all my adult life, I used to get very travel sick as a child, I still get travel sick in a Citroen for some reason unknown to me ? You will find that if you look out the window and observe what passes by you will not get sick. Travel sickness happens when the passenger takes their eyes off the road to read or watch something inside the vehicle, the body then senses it should not be moving and throws your system off balance. I only ever got sea sick once, in a force ten gale on a small ship in 100 degree heat when the A/C was not working, so I don’t think that was actually travel sickness but the heat, I have been in many a force ten since and not suffered. I have flow across the Atlantic countless times and never suffered either.

Hi pat, that makes sense about your eyes off the road , I was travelling in the middle of the vehicle between two others, with nowt to focus on. Even talking wasn’t improving the situation, & couldn’t focus on anything either. There wasn’t anything much to watch through the windows as it was all through the lanes on quiet roads I the early to late evening :sunglasses:

One of my dogs gets car sick. We give him a spoon full of honey in a small bowl of water. Seems to work for him.

happysack:
One of my dogs sick. We give him a spoon full of honey in a small bowl of water. Seems to work for him.

Hi happysack, i did try to â– â– â– â–  a couple of sweets but did not make a difference, I have to be careful with sweet things or sugary things because they give me violent headaches as of the last few months :frowning: