How safe are Ad-blue additives?

Has anybody else noticed the mess ad-blue makes of the pump nozzle (crystalization/salt deposits),the area around the pump and the marks from spillage to clothing and footwear?..

It got me wondering just how safe is ad-blue when we breath it in. I know the emmisions are cleaned by the cat/exhaust before its released into the atmosphere. But can we be sure that a few years down the line we dont suffer from inhalation problems.

For the last few months ive been a little ‘chesty’,Ive never smoked, in good health otherwise so am I just being a little paranoid.

I took a look on the internet and found that Urea (what the additive is made from) can cause problems with the respirtory tract.

I do hope there is no link ,so can anybody put my concerns to rest and say there is nothing wrong with it. We all know what happened to those working with asbestos over the years.

Maybe this is stupid question breath what in? The white powder that’s dried or fumes from the exhaust? You looking for a claim buddy :grimacing:

ad-blue is pigs pish mixed with water to the best of my knowledge, don’t drink it and you should be fine :laughing:

merc0447:
ad-blue is pigs pish mixed with water to the best of my knowledge, don’t drink it and you should be fine :laughing:

That’s a common misconception. The urea in ad-blue, like almost all urea used in industry and agriculture, is made synthetically from ammonia and carbon dioxide. It’s never been near a pig or any other living creature.

See en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urea for more.

Paul

Merc 0447 wrote ’
Maybe this is stupid question breath what in? The white powder that’s dried or fumes from the exhaust? You looking for a claim buddy

When I see the state of the pumps dispencing it covered in crusty deposits you have to ask ‘If thats what it does to the pumps what does it do to me when I breath it in?’ When Im working around trucks emmiting fumes mixed with additive is it coating my lungs with the same crud ?

open the ad-blue tank as soon as you stop and you will know what he means…
I noticed it a few times…its defo got that amonia kick to it…with regards to the mess if it spills, it washes off my adblue tank with the jet wash…

Also read this: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AdBlue

Although safe in the general sense, if I happened to swallow a bit, i’d drink a load of water to dilute it further!!!

[with all that gas it might result in a ■■■■■■■ day?] :smiley:

Every chemical product has a Material Safety Data Sheet. (MSDS) the properties of any chemical are tested and you will see that AdBlue is safe for rats and fluffy bunny rabbits in the toxicological section.

omv.com/SecurityServlet/secu … 7355741854

Diesel Fuel is probably much more dangerous than AdBlue

Don’t worry about it, you’ll be dead before it does any lasting damage. :wink:

mick palmer:
When Im working around trucks emmiting fumes mixed with additive is it coating my lungs with the same crud ?

the “fumes” from a Euro4 or 5 engine are usually cleaner than the air that went in the first place just don’t drink the stuff :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Stand by the exhaust when the engine is running and it smells like it does when you stop to “wash a wheel”.

Haha reminds me of when they introduced unleaded fuel, I was on tankers at the time, “no problems lads” “it’s as safe as houses” “oh ok, but why have we all got benzine burns all of a sudden then?”…“oh thet’s just the chemical cocktail they’ve invented to make it act like petrol”

Noooooooo problem :unamused:

get some of that down ya :laughing: :laughing: