How quiet is January?

I’m thinking about driving for a living and I was aiming to get my licence before Christmas to take advantage of the extra demand. My thinking was that it would be the best time to get a job.

However I’m worried that if things go quiet after Christmas I’ll be the first to be made redundant if they don’t need me anymore, or the hours and pay will be less and I will struggle to make a living.

My question is: Will the lower demand of January impact my prospects of making a living or even keeping my job? Would I be better off delaying trying to get a job till January, in the view that if I can get one when demand is low, I should have no problem at any other point in the year?

On the other hand you may impress them so much with your pleasant disposition and work ethic, that they bin the rest and keep you :wink:

I think it depends hugely on what job you’re in and whether it’s agency. Apparently agency work dries up a lot in January, but then some of that will be work that was only created around November to December anyway since goods still need moving. I’d be careful around retail and pallet deliveries as those are likely to be very busy during Christmas then drop back around January.

Best advice I can give is get your licence and then go talk to companies, especially the smaller ones. You’ll get a feel for those who are going to be honest with you about whether they want temp or permanent staff and ultimate it’s all experience which is what counts. Plus if you don’t like the company or go prang their trucks, you can just claim you lost the job due to January drop-offs and no one will think anything else.

Of course, as with everything it’s often first in, first out except maybe when Albion is employing you, but most employers aren’t that nice to their workforce (purely going by what she’s said in the past). Btw, you’re in a queue to get a job there so I’d probably apply around December 2021. :slight_smile: