How often does your firm check your tyre pressures?

As above or do you do them yourself and if so at how often.

Although not really a mandatory check, most places will check them on the six weekly inspection. For drivers it’s really making sure there’s not an obvious issue with tyres ie flat/soft/slow puncture.

r u 4 reel :confused:

Own Account Driver:
Although not really a mandatory check, most places will check them on the six weekly inspection. For drivers it’s really making sure there’s not an obvious issue with tyres ie flat/soft/slow puncture.

I have never had tyre pressures checked on a six week inspection ever, with several different suppliers, the same as they have never topped up the engine oil, it is a drivers responsibility pure and simple. The company has to supply a way of doing it, either through visits to ATS etc or with a calibrated gauge in the depot.

It is false economy not to do it at least weekly.

Wheel Nut:

Own Account Driver:

I have never had tyre pressures checked on a six week inspection ever, with several different suppliers, the same as they have never topped up the engine oil, it is a drivers responsibility pure and simple. The company has to supply a way of doing it, either through visits to ATS etc or with a calibrated gauge in the depot.

I wouldn’t leave sole responsibility to drivers. Most of the off-the shelf inspection sheets have tyre pressures boxes next to tread depth. We would do it on a customers truck, assuming they had valve extensions (surprising how many we see with no means of inflating the inside drives without taking the wheel off) a lot of places don’t. If it’s a workshop looking after the company’s own fleet I think there’d be bonkers not to do it and leave it to drivers.

Visual check every day courtesy of Viking Industries/Me & if any look a bit soft I get the fitters/tyre fitters to check em’ & fix them.
Having driven on Landfills for a few years we used to get nearly a ‘Million’ punctures a week ! (I hate Landfills Grrrr !)

I check tyre pressures on the first trip of the month, so every four weeks or so. Part of my check sheet.
Cheers
Paul

I have a pair off stobart boots that actually tell the tyre pressures!

It’s no good expecting a fitter to check anything. I do it myself, It’s the same with the oil and water especially after its been serviced.
If i employed drivers, They would be expected to do more than daily checks or find somewhere else to work.

I am arguing that if we need to increase fuel efficency then an easy kill would be efficency through the correct inflation of the tyres.

The argument i am trying to win is… that if we can increase fuel efficency accross the board then we should pay a bounus to everyone… but dad wants to pay the bonus only to the driver that “does the best” - So that brings his argument that if the driver wants to get a “bonus” then he will spend the time to check the tryes… but my opinon is that this is asking to much, and as the operator we should be giving as level a playing field to everyone and should add this to the workshops duties or even look at subbing out the tyre checks.

Done some agency work for Wincanton, Brockworth, Gloucester.One of the agency drivers was laughed at for getting out a tyre pressure gauge and checking his tyre pressures.The TM found out, called him into the office, and offered him a full time job !

Jenson Button:
I am arguing that if we need to increase fuel efficency then an easy kill would be efficency through the correct inflation of the tyres.

The argument i am trying to win is… that if we can increase fuel efficency accross the board then we should pay a bounus to everyone… but dad wants to pay the bonus only to the driver that “does the best” - So that brings his argument that if the driver wants to get a “bonus” then he will spend the time to check the tryes… but my opinon is that this is asking to much, and as the operator we should be giving as level a playing field to everyone and should add this to the workshops duties or even look at subbing out the tyre checks.

I can’t remember how many vehicles you are running, but ATS have a deal that if you use them for your tyres they will come and do a fleet check on a weekend, the advantage of that is then your drivers can call in anywhere for free air or into the local depot to get the wheels torqued up.

You could mention to your drivers that an underinflated tyre will cost them £60 and 3 penalty points, that may sharpen them up a bit.

Rooster:
Done some agency work for Wincanton, Brockworth, Gloucester.One of the agency drivers was laughed at for getting out a tyre pressure gauge and checking his tyre pressures.The TM found out, called him into the office, and offered him a full time job !

:confused: …In an ideal world maybe…
But in reality, as a lowly agency driver myself I can tell you what really happens…It’s this: you’d get the ■■■■ taken out of you by the other drivers, called into the TM office and told not to waste time and get on out the gate with your drops, then given the old artificial “thanks for your time” after you’ve finished that shift (and never get called back to that company ever again).

Wheel Nut:

Jenson Button:

I can’t remember how many vehicles you are running, but ATS have a deal that if you use them for your tyres they will come and do a fleet check on a weekend, the advantage of that is then your drivers can call in anywhere for free air or into the local depot to get the wheels torqued up.

You could mention to your drivers that an underinflated tyre will cost them £60 and 3 penalty points, that may sharpen them up a bit.

We have 30 artics with a total of 50 trailers, 6x 7.5 tonners and now have the “florist van x 3” - trust me the florist vans are the bane of my life

Wheel Nut:

Own Account Driver:

My tyre pressures are all checked on the 6 weekly inspection and they also top up the engine oil. The whole purpose of the inspection is to ensure that the vehicle is roadworthy and under inflated tyres and no engine oil would make it unroadworthy.

Own Account Driver:

Not really a mandatory check? Why is that then? Do you not check your car tyres either? Is it safe to drive a heavy truck not knowing if your tyre pressures are correct?

You probably mean you are one of the ones that cannot be bothered to check them.It is a drivers responsibility.
Scary stuff.

albion1971:

Own Account Driver:

Not really a mandatory check? Why is that then? Do you not check your car tyres either? Is it safe to drive a heavy truck not knowing if your tyre pressures are correct?

You probably mean you are one of the ones that cannot be bothered to check them.It is a drivers responsibility.
Scary stuff.

Because it’s not checked on MOT, so isn’t mandatory on six weekly. What’s sensible and what’s mandatory are two different things.

COOKiEEES!!:

Rooster:

But in reality, as a lowly agency driver myself I can tell you what really happens…It’s this: you’d get the ■■■■ taken out of you by the other drivers, called into the TM office and told not to waste time and get on out the gate with your drops, then given the old artificial “thanks for your time” after you’ve finished that shift (and never get called back to that company ever again).

Not only that, but where did he get the gauge from? Most gauges you can buy only go upto 99psi… Not quite enough is it

waynedl:

COOKiEEES!!:

Rooster:

Not only that, but where did he get the gauge from? Most gauges you can buy only go upto 99psi… Not quite enough is it

£3.95 of your English money, can’t say how accurate they are but it gives a good comparison between a slack tyre and an inflated one.

0 to 150psi

I was told by the senior rep of a big tyre company that the majority of his big fleet customers proudly told him that they had no policy regarding checking tyre inflation.

In other words, they get blown up when they are fitted, and let down before they are removed, and that’s it.

He reckons that it costs them a fortune in tyres and fuel.