How often do you check your mirrors …………

Franglais:

switchlogic:

Franglais:

tachograph:
Personally I think it should be illegal for drivers to wear anything that blocks out most of the background noise, I know deaf people are allowed to drive but they don’t have a self inflicted disability whilst drivers deliberately blocking out background noise do.

Absolutely agree.
:smiley:

So deaf people shouldn’t be allowed to drive?

Tachograph made that point, already.

Didn’t answer the question tho did he? Or you?

switchlogic:
Didn’t answer the question tho did he? Or you?

For myself, Deaf people do drive, and that should continue to be so.

switchlogic:

tachograph:
Personally I think it should be illegal for drivers to wear anything that blocks out most of the background noise, I know deaf people are allowed to drive but they don’t have a self inflicted disability whilst drivers deliberately blocking out background noise do.

I didn’t say that, the point I was making is that deaf people do not have a self inflicted disability whilst drivers deliberately blocking out background noise do.

I think it’s right that deaf people should be allowed to drive, I do not think it’s right that people who deliberately make themselves deaf to anything other then the noise coming out of headphones or earbuds should be allowed to drive.

switchlogic:

Franglais:

tachograph:

Absolutely agree.
:smiley:

Huh? :wink:

edd1974:
One my pet hates drivers wearing huge headphones listing to music etc.
With cable dangling down and usually with a phone resting on there knee.
If they have do to an emergency stop. human instinct will be to grab the phone before it falls taking eyes off the road.

What gets me though these days I’d say 90% of cars trucks vans have inbuilt Bluetooth hands free systems. Most of the drivers using mobiles headphones etc are usually traveling alone so why don’t they just spend a few seconds connecting it to the stero then be nice and legal

Mine hasn’t worked for the past 6 months.

tachograph:

switchlogic:

tachograph:

I didn’t say that, the point I was making is that deaf people do not have a self inflicted disability whilst drivers deliberately blocking out background noise do.

I think it’s right that deaf people should be allowed to drive, I do not think it’s right that people who deliberately make themselves deaf to anything other then the noise coming out of headphones or earbuds should be allowed to drive.

But it’s either dangerous or it’s not. Taking it further should we have a music decibels limit for sound when driving? Music and spoken word or just music? I’m being silly but it raises point that it’s not as simple as it might seem

switchlogic:
But it’s either dangerous or it’s not. Taking it further should we have a music decibels limit for sound when driving? Music and spoken word or just music? I’m being silly but it raises point that it’s not as simple as it might seem

No, its not a simple binary choice. Its on a sliding scale.

It is better to be able to clearly hear all sounds around you. Not being able to do so doesnt make you automatically "dangerous", but it does make you less safe. Trucks dont have the same “close up” visibility of a car. We need to take extra care and use extra mirrors and cameras to see pedestrians and cyclists.
That doesn`t mean trucks are all dangerous.

Tachograph makes the distinction that earphones etc are a choice.
Deaf people have no choice. They are in an environment where they need to concentrate more, to drive as safely as the rest of us.
Those born deaf will have passed their test and demonstrated that they can drive well.
Those who become deaf later, won`t have done so. Maybe all of us should be re-assessed?

There are now devices to alert deaf drivers of hazards, just as we truck drivers have assistance…
“With advancements in technology, deaf people are bestowed with a number of ways to ensure safe driving. For instance, a number of devices are introduced to alert deaf drivers in case if an emergency vehicle is passing by. This helps the driver to safely pull over.
To ensure deaf drivers have a panoramic view of the vehicles around, clip-on mirrors enhance the visual perception and also the view of objects around their own vehicle.
In recent times, built-in assistants are being introduced in the cars to alert the person with a hearing disability in case if emergency vehicles approach. Some of these advanced devices include sensory cues extracted from sensory input or haptic technology that vibrates the user seat or steering wheel.”
barnetby-medical-centre.co. … disability.

switchlogic:

tachograph:

switchlogic:

tachograph:

I never said it was dangerous I said it should be illegal.

I believe that whilst driving you should at all times be doing your best to be aware of what’s going on around you and that includes hearing peoples horns and emergency vehicle sirens ec’t.

I’m sure that you would not say that, generally in life we should not make exceptions for people with disabilities where it’s reasonably safe to do so, people who cannot hear what’s going on around them because of a hearing disability will hopefully make extra effort to be visually aware, people who cannot hear what’s going on around them because of earbuds ec’t have made the choice to disable one of the senses used for safe and considerate driving.

As for playing loud music whilst driving, section 148 of the highway code says

Safe driving and riding needs concentration. Avoid distractions when driving or riding such as

• loud music (this may mask other sounds)

tachograph:
As for playing loud music whilst driving, section 148 of the highway code says

Safe driving and riding needs concentration. Avoid distractions when driving or riding such as

• loud music (this may mask other sounds)

So you’re saying something that should be discouraged is actually discouraged? I get ya :smiley:

all the time …only way

I always checked my mirrors on the walk around before starting to drive. One, two, three, four, five… Yep, all present and correct.