How much overtime can i do?

I am struggling to get my head round this reduced weekly rest period is it possible to work 6 days in one week, have a reduced weekly rest and then the next week take a 45 hour rest? Or does the difference need to get added to the 45 hour rest period? Any help will be greatly appreciated…

In any 2 consecutive fixed weeks (00:00 Monday - 23:59 Sunday) you must take either:

1. 2 x Full 45 hour weekly rest periods
    OR
  2. 1 x Full 45 hour and 1 x Reduced 24 hour weekly rest periods

If you reduce your weekly rest period, you must compensate for it on block by the end of the 3rd week following the reduction by adding the number of hours you reduced by onto another daily or weekly rest period. e.g. If you did a 24 reduced rest, you would have to compensate 21 hours (45 - 24).

In addition, the maximum time between weekly rest periods cannot exceed 144 hours.

I hope this helps

Damo_hall:
I am struggling to get my head round this reduced weekly rest period is it possible to work 6 days in one week, have a reduced weekly rest and then the next week take a 45 hour rest? Or does the difference need to get added to the 45 hour rest period? Any help will be greatly appreciated…

In short “yes that is legal”.

As has been said, compensation for a reduced weekly rest period must be paid back by the end of the third week following the week the reduced weekly rest period was taken.

I have a small question as well… so i did worked yesterday but not for long hours. I finished 12 mid day. If i start monday again at 9 am this means exactly 45 hrs… so i can do next saturday again… m i right?

sfantu:
I have a small question as well… so i did worked yesterday but not for long hours. I finished 12 mid day. If i start monday again at 9 am this means exactly 45 hrs… so i can do next saturday again… m i right?

You can do that every week

For many drivers the compensation from a reduced weekly weekend rest gets paid back the following week but it all depends on when the finish and start times are on fri sat and mon

If you finish at 6pm on sat then restart at 6am on mon then that is 36 hours off needing 9 to be paid back
If you then finish at 6pm on fri and restart at 6am on mon that is 60 hours off so can be 45+9=54 with 6 extra

If you finish at 7pm on sat then restart at 4am on mon then that is 33 hours off needing 12 to be paid back
If you then finish at 7pm on fri and restart at 4am on mon that is 57 hours off so can be 45+12=57

Ok think i got it now… so if i have this week lets say 35 hrs weekley brake next week i have to recover the 10 hrs difference? That shouldnt be so bad :slight_smile:

sfantu:
Ok think i got it now… so if i have this week lets say 35 hrs weekley brake next week i have to recover the 10 hrs difference? That shouldnt be so bad :slight_smile:

Correct

sfantu:

You do not have to recover/payback the 10 hours next week but it is likely to happen that way

You could payback the 10 hours at any time in full before the sunday midnight in 3 weeks time

Example of how some can get caught out …

this week (1) - finish sat 8pm then start mon 4am = 32 off so 13 to pay back

next week (2) - finish fri 9pm then start mon 4am = 55 off so 45+10 so not enough to pay back 13 in one go

following week (3) - finish sat 6pm then start mon 4am = 34 off so 11 to pay back by sunday midnight of week (6)

following week (4) - finish fri 6pm then start mon 4am = 58 off so 45+13 … now that looks like the 13 has been paid back from week (1) but is not because only 9 was paid back before sunday midnight … the driver would need to finish at 2pm on fri to make that work

Im confused again now lolz. So weekly rest dont count till you start on mon counts ONLY by sun midnight?

And one more question. Leets say i finish 8 pm start 8 am on printout at end shift shows only 8hrs rest(midnight till start)… is that all it counts for daily rest or the other 4 hrs (till midnight) counts?

sfantu:
Im confused again now lolz. So weekly rest dont count till you start on mon counts ONLY by sun midnight?

And one more question. Leets say i finish 8 pm start 8 am on printout at end shift shows only 8hrs rest(midnight till start)… is that all it counts for daily rest or the other 4 hrs (till midnight) counts?

Payback must be done in full by the sunday midnight of week 4 if the reduction was in week 1 - that is the only time the sunday midnight bit comes into play
All the other weekly rest times are from when you start the weekly rest to when you end it with sunday midnight not making a difference at all

The same goes for daily rest

sfantu:

Compensation for a reduced weekly rest period has to be paid back by the end of the third week (Sunday midnight ends the week) following the week you had the reduced weekly rest period in.

sfantu:

The daily/weekly rest period runs from when you finish work to when you restart work.

A 24 hour printout will run from midnight to the time of the printout, so if you start work at 08:00 a 24 hour printout will show the rest from midnight to 08:00 but any rest you had before midnight still counts towards the rest period.

Ah think ive got it now thanks very much! So after a reduced weely rest say you take a 35 hour break in week 1 and u owe 10 hours could you take a 50 hour break in week two and another 50 hour break in week 3? Or does it have to be all at once? For example a 55 hour break in week 2 or 3?

Damo_hall:
Ah think ive got it now thanks very much! So after a reduced weely rest say you take a 35 hour break in week 1 and u owe 10 hours could you take a 50 hour break in week two and another 50 hour break in week 3? Or does it have to be all at once? For example a 55 hour break in week 2 or 3?

Compensation for a reduced weekly rest period has to be paid back in one lump by adding it onto a rest period of 9 hour or more, so no you can’t pay back a few hours each week I’m afraid.

Nice and straight answer tacho thanks.

sfantu:
Nice and straight answer tacho thanks.

That’s the advantage of asking on an open forum where many types of answers are given to the same question because there will usually be one of those ways that the asker will comprehend