How much over hang

Ok wag & drag how much overhang can you get away with on the trailer?. Trailers bed is 18 ft approx been told to load up to 25ft lengths on it,which equates to 1ft at front and 6ft at rear is this too much.

snowman77:
Ok wag & drag how much overhang can you get away with on the trailer?. Trailers bed is 18 ft approx been told to load up to 25ft lengths on it,which equates to 1ft at front and 6ft at rear is this too much.

Depends on location of trailer axles. 6 foot overhang will need markers and lights at any rate.

If you don’t have markers, tape a hi-viz to the end of the load…

over 1 metre put a proper marker board on it , lit at night . beware of the divisable load rule also

snowman77:

Over hang it up to the max 3050 or what ever is it but the more important issue is what’s the weight of the load with regard to the rear axle weight and the nose weight ,or lack of .

18ft trailer tri axle

If you ain’t got proper markers and lights it don’t go remember it’s your licence and that old chestnut well so and so did it and back in the days of. Dvsa is self funding so it would be a pleasure to lighten you of a few hundred quid

6 foot over the back is bloody stupid when it can easily go on a semi trailer (artic).

gov.uk/government/uploads/s … _loads.pdf

Apart from any other considerations, do you have enough swing clearance for the proposed 1 foot at the front?

Talking of overhang i spotted a wagon n drag pulling hay yesterday and the hay stacks were just touching in the middle so how he got on when turning i don’t know but looked a bit odd to me.

bald bloke:
Talking of overhang i spotted a wagon n drag pulling hay yesterday and the hay stacks were just touching in the middle so how he got on when turning i don’t know but looked a bit odd to me.

Hay gives…

Ok, if the prime mover is heavy relative to the trailer but it’s a recipe for the tail wagging the dog although you’re offsetting it a bit with the front overhang.

Own Account Driver:
Ok, if the prime mover is heavy relative to the trailer but it’s a recipe for the tail wagging the dog although you’re offsetting it a bit with the front overhang.

Done this quite often ,big over hang to rear then try to get the balance back by loading other goods to the headboard ,works fine until your on a road that dips up and down a lot bad camber ect then the overhanging weight takes charge .

the nodding donkey:

bald bloke:

Hay gives…

I’m sure it does but I still didn’t like the look of it.

bald bloke:

the nodding donkey:

bald bloke:

Hay gives…

I’m sure it does but I still didn’t like the look of it.

It may of have had an auto extending draw bar beam, I am sure they would not want the bales trying to push themselves off when cornering.