How much notice to give?

I have just got my first cat C job :smiley: . Does anyone have a rough idea as to how much notice to give my current employer? I know it should be in my contract but i cant find it :blush: many thanks.

Depends on how long you been there?

I was always led to believe if you are weekly paid, then 1 weeks notice
Monthly then 1 month.

Also depends how loyal you feel to your current employer :wink:

Clarky:
Depends on how long you been there?

I was always led to believe if you are weekly paid, then 1 weeks notice
Monthly then 1 month.

Also depends how loyal you feel to your current employer :wink:

I was led to believe that as well, i phoned the company HR and the guy told me i had to give 8 weeks :open_mouth: :open_mouth: a bit much i thought i am paid weekly so i thought giving 2 weeks notice would be reasonable.

As far as i was aware it was either 2 or 4 weeks, unless your in the catering industry with no contract…where you can actually walk out and never go back again :stuck_out_tongue:

stormnation:
As far as i was aware it was either 2 or 4 weeks, unless your in the catering industry with no contract…where you can actually walk out and never go back again :stuck_out_tongue:

How many people actually have any form of contract ?

We know that after 13 weeks you should get a contract but i bet there are many without any form of contract.

( All contracts should be fair to both parties or so they say ) LOL

Hi Hectors-dad, I’m with Clarky, i.e.

paid weekly = 1 weeks notice
paid monthly = 1 months notice

that said some senior management / director roles can be contracted for 3 months notice.

Also, I’ve always tried to show proportionate loyalty to my employers, if they’ve looked after me I try to look after them, and not leave them in the ■■■. But this has to be realistic as no prospective employer will wait for ever.

As others have said it depends how well the company has treated you.

When I quit my job in January I only had to give 1 week but the company had been very good to me so I was honest with them and told them I wanted to leave. I asked them how much notice they would idealy want and we agreed I would give them 4 weeks.

1. Always worked on the theory that 1 weeks pay == 1 weeks notice etc

2. We have contracts at our place, they lay out both what the firm has to do and what the driver has to do. Having said that, about 30% of people don’t want to sign them. God knows why as they are straightforward and as much for their benefit as anyone else’s.

3. If you like the firm you work for now and leave on good terms you are leaving the door open to return if the new one doesn’t work out.

Thanks for all the replies, i have handed in my notice and start on the 1st of May :smiley:

well done mate, good luck with it. :smiley:

George Parr:
well done mate, good luck with it. :smiley:

Thanks George.

26 years an Lgv Trainer:
How many people actually have any form of contract ?

There’s a ‘common law’ employment contract for those those employees who don’t have a written contract.
In the event of a dispute to be settled at Tribunal, the Tribunal might use the ‘common law’ contract to give the Applicant a basis for complaint.
After all, some employers think (wrongly :wink: ) that if they don’t give a contract to an employee, then it can’t be enforced.

26 years an Lgv Trainer:
We know that after 13 weeks you should get a contract but i bet there are many without any form of contract.

Where do we “know” this from??
I think you might find that it’s been 8 weeks since at least 1996. :wink: (E.R.A. 1996 s.1)
The EOS powerpoint slides for Nat CPC 2008 say the same too. :wink:

Of course, an employer might issue a contract before 8 weeks have expired, but they are looking at potential problems if they do so later than the 8 weeks.

What about outstaniding accrued holiday? can this be used to reduce the notice period? ie 4 weeks notice but have 3 weeks holiday outstanding so work a week and take rest as holiday? :question:

Stevewoods:
What about outstaniding accrued holiday? can this be used to reduce the notice period? ie 4 weeks notice but have 3 weeks holiday outstanding so work a week and take rest as holiday? :question:

YES, but only if agreement with employer - there is no law that says you have a right to do that - source I quote from is my union rep who is fully trained in this type of thing :slight_smile:

And what are the comebacks if you dont fulfill your notice?? If you have already had a reference say, and the new employer is fully aware that your start date would conflict with your notice period?

I understand the good terms bit, but is there any financial comeback?