How much is a bulk tippers "load bonus"

am just curious what sort of money exchanges hands for the ‘load bonus’ that a tipper driver gets, £100 a load? becuase it gets me the way some of them behave on the roads, yes it been mentioned on here many many times, and i know its not all of them before tippers drivers start throwing aggr at me :laughing: :laughing: but it does seem a fair percentage of them that dont give a monkeys about others, it always you who has to pull over so your not mouring the loss of a wing mirror 3 seconds later because mr-bulk-tipper-tripple-plated-armoured-wing mirrors driving like a wannabe firetruck driver hasnt got time to do that :exclamation: :laughing: :laughing: . so i am just curious is the ‘bonus’ really crap like 20p that makes them drive like that to earn a living or is it £500 cash under the counter per 10 loads they are just greedy!!!

this isnt so much a moan about their attitude on the road just what is the bonus and does it vary firm to firm and do they get other incentives to get as many loads in an hour as possible.

greg.

a lot of bulk work is paid on percentage of earning of truck so the more you do the more you earn thats possible why they come flying past you, also bulk work rates are so crap you have to do the loads just to earn a basic living :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Tipper drivers dont see SENSE they see LOADS

also

they have their brains in their buckets

I used to be paid on earnings, 27% of what the truck earned, that was on a six wheeler tipper back in the '90’s. You had very good days, and then a few cr*p ones which knocked you back down again. The tipper job has always been a poor relative in haulage, I remember years ago we were running to Lichfield (80 mile round trip) at £4 per tonne on eight leggers, approx £80 per load. I asked a local haulage contractor what he would charge with his four wheeler flat and his reply was that if he couldn’t get a return load he would want £200 for the trip and possibly negotiate if that wasn’t acceptable! :open_mouth: Fuel was the same price for both of us. I dont suppose things are that different nowadays.
Another thing is that a lot of tipper men have a days work set out for them whereas I always worked from load to load, so they have a bit of pressure on them to get the job done because, as we all know, the load worked out in an office is never quite the same as the load being carted on the road. Not many hold ups in the office is there? :wink:

Pete.

My work is on a bonus which is 18-20% of what the lorry earns after a set amount.The work is paid per tonne most of the time unless a fixed has been agreed for the load.I only know what work i"m doing the night before.I do lose a percentage of my bonus if i knock the lorry baring in mind some loads only pay £3 per tonne you do tend to want to get it off the trailer to get a better paying job because as with all drivers i"m in it for the money :smiley:

Bear with me here :unamused: :smiley: Our bonus scheme is worked on radial miles and bonus is scored as 0.4 of a load,0.5 and so on; To get bonus I have to earn over 4.0 loads a day. We get £8 something for a “whole load” so a 5 score would earn £8. I did 10 today to one of our concrete plants which earned me a 6.0, making me £16, perfectly legit by the way as I’m a rare one who sticks to the speed limits (well 70kmh on scway and 85kmh on duals/mways). A few years ago when we were doing a lot of muckaway in Witney (10-15 minutes from our tip) my Uncle and I were doing 9 a day and not earning a penny. Other drivers cut the job up and did 10 and still earnt nothing. One driver actually did 11 somehow and earned the princely sum of 80pence :unamused: :unamused:
If you do between 20 and 25 loads per week you get £8 for every whole load, after 25 you get a higher bonus rate of £10 per load which I think I hit this week as I’ve done 2 days on said concrete plant, done 16 loads (8 in and 8 out) plus I’m working tomorrow at concrete plant and Saturday work instantly pays higher rate after 2.0 loads.

To cap it off, if you drive a 4wheeler, you only need to do 3.5 loads before you earn bonus as “these vehicles take time consuming and difficult deliveries to private and narrow addresses”…They forget how many part loads us on the 6wheelers do when the 4wheelers are too busy or in for servicing.
Apparently the bonus scheme is not illegal as we forfeit our bonus for the week if we are caught speeding…note “caught” is if caught by plod or camera, not just shown on tracker or tachos…

I dont care what my lorry earns each week, as long as i get paid, and the work they give me gets done. We’re all happy at the end of the day, and the kids are safe :laughing:
My boss thinks either my high range is shot or i dont know how to use it :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

TonyCBR:
I dont care what my lorry earns each week, as long as i get paid, and the work they give me gets done. We’re all happy at the end of the day, and the kids are safe :laughing:
My boss thinks either my high range is shot or i dont know how to use it :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

But if you were on earnings you would NEED to know what it was earning, otherwise they could pay you what they liked! :slight_smile: We were paid on hours at one company, with an O/Time bonus it was a very good job, then a couple of drivers mentioned to the management that they thought we were on too much money for the work that we did. Next thing was that our wages were reduced and the driver’s invoved then left as they said the money was now cr*p! :unamused: At least when I was on earnings I knew to the penny what I was getting, I had a rate sheet for all the quarries so could work it out daily. The drawback was when there was little or no work, the money dropped then. Personally though I think that a good hourly rate is prefferable as long as you dont hang the job out to much and take the pi**, better for holiday pay as well I would imagine?

Pete.

We have a folder with all the towns and villages within a certain distance giving the load score of each, and a place to mark it down on our timesheet. Some of our lot can be heard asking “what does (zxy) pay?” and “this job doesn’t pay” as if they were owner drivers. :unamused:
I do laugh as the ones who cry about the scheme being illegal are the biggest teararses…

Click on this to see the “Red Arrows”; Known to fly in to a site, and fly out again :laughing:
earthlineltd.co.uk/

I drove on bulk work for a number of years and was paid 20% of the vehicle earnings, Newport to Port Talbot with scrap paid £30 and a back load of granulate slag was £15 do the run 3 times a shift. 6pm start and drive like a nutter all night because the day man came in at 4.30am.

A good little earner but not for me any more.

i use to get a mix off hourly pay at minium wage then two bonuses one daily one weekly the more i got done in the day the more daily bonus i got but getting full weight on with decent amount off loads in week got me full weight bonus at end off week along with hours i could take home between £600 and £700 a week but got fed up off chasing and being chased, now i get paid by hour and boss aint bothered what i do within reason :laughing: plus the please and thank you goes along way.

I receive 100% of what my tipper earns. Unfortunately, I have to pay fuel, insurance, tax, maintenance and try to take a wage out of it too. :cry:

i’m a tipper driver n i’m paid by the hour, so the longer i take to a job the more am paid

I know of many tipper drivers who work for small-time operators who still rush about despite not earning bonus; They’re paid a fixed weekly wage but the boss puts extra work on them and they rush about so they’re not “working for free”…The same operators around here who cry about the rates my employer pays, yet are happy to work for them, and whinge about tipping charges yet tip in our quarry…after undercutting us :laughing:

hitch:

also

Most of them don’t have brains.

waddy640:

hitch:

also

But clever enough not to sleep in their cabs in ■■■■ sodden service areas overnight :wink:

Muckaway:

waddy640:

hitch:

also

But clever enough not to sleep in their cabs in ■■■■ sodden service areas overnight :wink:

I’m a day driver so I have the misfortune to encounter these idiots.

waddy640:

Muckaway:

waddy640:

hitch:

also

I’m a tipper driver who lets these idiots overtake, hence they get back and have to take the last load out :smiley: It’s an easy job if you don’t mind driving dirty wagons.

Muckaway:

waddy640:

Muckaway:

waddy640:

hitch:

also

I’m a tipper driver who lets these idiots overtake, hence they get back and have to take the last load out :smiley: It’s an easy job if you don’t mind driving dirty wagons.

They are like binmen, rush around to get finished early then moan when the managers stick a few more roads on their rounds.