How much does it cost for a decent tractor unit?

A friend of mine wants me to go and drive for him… He’s running a small fleet of 4 wheelers at the mo and due to expansion he is buying a 44 tonne artic. He has asked me to find out tractor unit prices and get back to him, trouble is there’s not much info on new truck pricing out there or I can’t find it… Anyone help??

The trucks he is interested in:
Scania Topline R series 420ish 6x2
Mercedes Actros ( Big Cab ) 420ish 6 x2

If anyone can point me in the right direction or has recently purchased a new tractor then please respond.

Regards
WM

New one? Around £60,000 + VAT.

tell him to up turn his sofa, what change drops on the floor, should suffecient to secure you the purchase of a quality renault tractor :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

This is from another thread…

north surrey haulage:
A pal of mine has just bought a 6 x 2 merc megaspace 460 for £57,000 ish

…which can be found here.

Perhaps he ought to look at getting to the CV Show. Look here.

hello, first sit down with this friend and make a pro–cons list with
all the points that are relevant as to what you wish to use the vehicle for.
For example if you start off with the idea of general haulage and maybe
in the future doing HAZ with tanks then your unit has to be one that
is all ready built for that work as a later conversion cost more money and time off the road, Fo you wish to do 44tn work then you need a

3 axled unit, what type of engine ,because of cheaper road tax in GB and when going abroad the road tax in Austria and Germany is more
for a euro1 motor as for a euro3-4 motor, IF traverling abroad then it makes sense to fit twin tanks with the capacity to carrry the full 1500liters fuel that is permitted ( ONE TANK 900/SECOND600) WHICH
truck firm has the best repair service ie 24/7 which one is most economical with a low fuel use and spare parts not too expensive,
which unit is best for the driver as a satisfied driver is a better worker.
these are just a few suggestions you will find that some one will add his or hers two pennyworth as well soon.

I’ll tell you what really gets up my nose - when you look through the likes of Commercial Motor or Truck Trader at the dealer adverts, why don’t the majority of them list the asking price of the vehicle?

ianyng:
I’ll tell you what really gets up my nose - when you look through the likes of Commercial Motor or Truck Trader at the dealer adverts, why don’t the majority of them list the asking price of the vehicle?

:open_mouth: Great minds think alike!! :sunglasses:

I guessed it is so that they can ‘mess about’ with the prices and if they get the feeling you’ve seen something you like then they can up it a few grand.

ianyng:

Or dont bother to update their website, or bother to email you back with a quote for a vehicle that you have requested :smiling_imp:

WM - I am also looking for tractor unit prices… There seems very little info out there without contacting the main dealer… Come on guys, how much is a brand new Scania R series Topline then■■?

ianyng:

It’s because the price varies :wink: If you ring up as a driver wanting to buy a truck you’ll get one price - If you ring up as someone in the trade looking for a truck for a customer you’ll get another price :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :wink:

So there’s nobody out there who can say what they paid for their Scania Topline… I’ve heard anything from 60,000 to 90,000. This seems quite a huge margin.

The Unit would be 6x2, apart from that all I want is the topline cab… nothing else matters.

If you are just looking for an average topline, and not a 580 with all the toys, I would guess £65,000 would cover. I think my last boss paid £78,000 for a 4x2 R164-580 topline last year. This was the old shape, so I don’t know how the new R series are priced.

There’s a couple of brand new volvo FH12-460 globetrotter XL’s 6x2 on the autotrader website. Priced @ £59500 plus V.A.T.

At last… a decent post, thanks for the info, any more would be greatly appreciated. I would like to know how much the new shape R580 with all the toys would cost - I think the top of the range cab is called a “King Of The Road” Anybody know prices on this baby??

a very very good friend of mine has just been qouted £89500 for an R series 580 topline with the equivalent of the old classic trim, hope this helps

a very very good friend of mine has just been qouted £89500 for an R series 580 topline

Ouch, thats a lot of money for a truck. Now I know why I have’nt seen many new R580 toplines on the road.

I know there not the makes you are interested in, but I have just seen a pricelist for this month for a Renault dealer. Both brand new unregistered.

Renault magnum 480 6x2 - £58500
Renault premium 420 DCI 6x2 privilige - £46500

jd_123:

a very very good friend of mine has just been qouted £89500 for an R series 580 topline

Ouch, thats a lot of money for a truck. Now I know why I have’nt seen many new R580 toplines on the road.

I know there not the makes you are interested in, but I have just seen a pricelist for this month for a Renault dealer. Both brand new unregistered.

Renault magnum 480 6x2 - £58500
Renault premium 420 DCI 6x2 privilige - £46500

And the longer I have my Priveledge the happier I am, just had it’s 1st service and 2nd inspection and so far no complaints whatsoever :laughing:

We have been quoted £57500 for a DAF SSC 430 4x2 with three years R & M.
6 x 2 was about £4000 extra. Mercedes was £59000 4x2 R & M extra.

icbh:
We have been quoted £57500 for a DAF SSC 430 4x2 with three years R & M.
6 x 2 was about £4000 extra. Mercedes was £59000 4x2 R & M extra.

Are these prices inclusive of the dreaded VAT??

Any price quoted will be plus VAT.
A while ago, dealers could offer you a way round that by giving you an invoice in advance of the purchase, so you got your refund around the same time you paid for the truck.
When I was shopping around recently, I found that all that had stopped.
it’s a pain I know - but look at it as a bonus you’ll get back in a few months.
Also with dealers, go in with the right attitude.
Tell them what you’re going to pay for the truck.
Remind them you could be back in a few months for another one.
Dangle the carrot and let the buggers bite!! :stuck_out_tongue:

Ian.