How much does an unladen artic weigh?

Somebody asked me this and I have no idea.

Anyone know what a typical weight range would be for a tractor + unladen trailer?

African, or European ?

Day-cabbed unit with skelly trailer, about 10 tonnes I would say.

Car transporter artic 23 tonnes.

My FH12 Globey, about 15.5-17 tonnes depending on flat or curtainside trailer and how much fuel I have on at the time.

dambuster:
African, or European ?

My current mount of a Daf 4x2 Space cab with a tandem axle box weighs in at 14 tonnes empty. I used to drive a Volvo Globetrotter XL pulling a tri-axle, computer carrier spec trailer, with tail-lift, which tipped the scales at 18.5 tonnes empty. Too many variations to give a definitive answer as to what an empty artic weighs

Thought it might be a tricky one to answer - for the sake of argument what about one of what I typically drive (they have tail-lifts on):

at a guess about 15.5 tonne
last week I know it was in belguim but a transporter i spotted had 4 daf xf 105s on its trailer i would love to know what that was grossing

Mike_:

dambuster:
African, or European ?

I think he answered…what the flight velocity of a swallow flyin at 3000ft was.

African or European.

Hi BTW…I’m new on here. Interesting place i must say so.

my flat roofed fh12 2x4 with standard curtain sider weighs slightly over 14.5 tonnes with a full tank.

Scania with milk tanker on is 14.5 tonnes. Scania with fridge trailer on is just short of 17 tonnes. Renault Premium with double deck trailer on is 17.5 tonnes - add another 3/4t if it’s a double deck fridge. Scania with lightweight tri-axle curtainsider on is 14.5t.

Koop:
Hi BTW…I’m new on here. Interesting place i must say so.

Hi :slight_smile:

Thanks for all the answers everyone.

Koop:

Mike_:

African, or European ?

African or European.

was that wet or dry ■■

The only sure WEIGH :laughing: (sorry) to tell is to fill the tank with fuel put in all your normal gear and then weigh it, with yourself in the cab, at a weighbridge.
you can then take that weight off the combination gross weight and you are left with how much you can then load into it.

my 04 reg Volvo Fh12 globetrotter weighs the same as my old R reg fH12 flat roof 8450kg

but with trailer the variations are enormous, there is a difference of about 1500kg between different bulk trailer manufacturers.

Best way is as ROG says weigh it and see.

If you pull different lengths or styles of trailer weigh each one whenever you can and make a note somewhere in the cab for reference (i’ve got a list with about 25 different weights and we’ve only got about 50 trailers. :open_mouth:

It’s more for interest’s sake than staying within legal limits - I’m (maybe naively) assuming that work won’t overload me :slight_smile:

But i’m sure we’ll have a weighbridge somewhere in the yard, i’ll try to find it.

i drive a daf space cab 4x2.
with a flatbed 15250
with a stretch flatbed 16250
with a euroliner 16250
with a stretch low loader 17500
with a stretch 4 axle all stear stretch 19500

Scania 164 460 with a Schmitz Euroliner and about 1000 litres of diesel about 16,300Kg.

One thing all you guy.s missed when calculating the unladen weight .

The weight of the pie muncher driving the truck. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

alfa man:
One thing all you guy.s missed when calculating the unladen weight .

The weight of the pie muncher driving the truck. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

My weights included me in the motor on the weighbridge.

Funny thing happened on a weighbridge in Germany a while ago - I had to load carbon electrodes at ERFT Carbon in Grievenbroich for Algeciras and they said that the truck tare was 38Kg too heavy for the load to keep within the max weight when loaded. so I simply emptied the water tank on the trailer out and also removed six bottles of drinking water from the cab. Job done.
After I had weighed on the way out I grabbed my water from the weighbridge office and off I went. Crazy world!

Koop:

Mike_:

dambuster:
African, or European ?

African or European.

:laughing: :laughing: The flight velocity would depend on whether the swallow is carrying a coconut. :laughing: :wink:
It’s a question of aerodynamics.:grimacing: