How much do you need to go to Canada?

Ok, single driver, no house to sell, or much in the way of ties.
How much would I need to have in the bank before trying to get into Canada again? Yes, I know I failed last time, but the immigration will let me back in.
I plan on living in the truck, but do not want to double-team under any circumstances.
I know I’d need an address for the licence and bank account etc, but maybe I could lease 6 square inches of floor for letters to land on from some other brit over there.
I know I’d need:
flights
$2,500 spare in case I needed to hire an immigration lawyer
$2,500 spare in case Canadian Immigration want their plane flight repaid from last time,
$2,500 for truck school
$3,000 at a guess for living expenses while at the school, and first few weeks on the road.
I miss anything?

Any suggestions/ideas?
I want a job solo driving, long haul, US/Canadian work, Manitoba or Sask will be perfect, van or reefer trailers, and would prefer a volvo 780, but will take almost anything else.

It will take me probably a year or 2 to save up the money, and I’m not shifting from this job for anything until I know I can get into Canada. (who’d give up Euro work for UK? :open_mouth: )

Alli.

Firstly, the HRSDC means that the money for your flight would be repaid upon arrival. The training would be fronted by the company you work for so you would only pay it back in the event that you leave them.

There is no real reason that you would need a lawyer or agent for immigration, unless you think there may be trouble after last time.

Hard to say how much you would need to get by for the first little while, but with HRSDC you will be getting paid from the start, and that goes on throughout the training, etc. You had a class 2 CDL, didn’t you? Can you not renew that to start with?

The CDL was American, from North Dakota, I doubt I could renew it without a lot of trouble, not being resident or working there. Besides, when I last swapped licences, the US one wasn’t good enough to get me more than a car ticket straight off.
I think I have a Manitoba licence knocking around somewhere at home, with the provisional artic entitlement, but I never passed my test while I was there last time.
So I’d definitely need to pay back Immigration, that’s fine, I thought the guy mentioned something about that.
$10,000 seems like the figure to be aiming for at the moment, maybe a little more, Canadian smokes are as expensive as UK ones.

got interview with H&R tomorrow, the information they have sent through says

We would advise that a single driver could bring 2000 British Pounds on savings to Canada (3000 euro); we would recommend that a driver who brings a family could bring 8000 British Pounds (12.000 euro).

i know there is a lot of bad reports about them , but they seem to pay to set you going, i will let you know more when i have been for interview and asked more questions.

That’s good advice from H&R.

If you need an address, you don’t need to rent a place at first. Just use the address of your employer. I would also try to find someone where you can share a place or at least a room. You can run an add in one of the local papers and I’m sure you’ll find something. For newspapers, try www.canada.com There’s really no point in renting a whole flat for yourself when you’ll be on the road most of the time.

Give Bison a try. I do have an old friend working there and I haven’t heard anything bad about them.

you have a pm

I don’t know, Alli. Your Manitoba licence would be renewable within a certain timeframe, although I am not sure how long that would be. Regardless, your class 1 uk licence will entitle you to a class 1 learner permit in Manitoba anyway.

The boss lady says that you can stop here for a time, should you wish, as that would save you some hassle in looking straight away. She is assuming that you are looking in this area, I imagine.

$10k is what the government says you need. It`s a reasonable enough amount to get yourself started at least. Once you are working they are not so concerned.