How much do new trailers cost?

switchlogic:
the Schmitz curtainsider is just an over designed disaster, awful awful things I hate them.

Interesting POV. When i first started at P&O Ferrymasters in 2004 the old blue tandem axle trailers that had sailed the Irish sea many a thousand time were about cream crackered.
They bought 900 (from memory) new Krone Euroliners. Think they would have bought Schmitz then, but they couldn’t deliver the quantity in the time frame stipulated.
These were followed a year or 2 later by a purchase of Schmitz Cargobull Euroliners.
Coming from an engineering background, I thought the difference was chalk and cheese with the Schmitz being far superior and better thought out compared to the Krone krap as I christened them.
I was very pleased to be asked to collect one from the Harelaw factory one day.

I know zilch about fridge trailers other than that they are indeed an expensive bit of kit and there is a new type of high efficiency refrigeration system on the cards.

When I started at Transalliance the first time, we had just been given a stack of Trailor and Fruehauf trailers, these lasted 5 years and they got some hard graft, before I left we had just replaced about 1000 trailers with Schmitz and Krone, if they last the next year out I shall be surprised, they are much lighter but at what cost?

if I were to buy a trailer I would go abroad and spend my money in probably Holland or Belgium.

we got 14 new schmitz fridges with tail lifts for about £52000 each (52grand). these need to last 4 years.

switchlogic:
No sorry Ady if you were looking for longevity you’d never go for a Schmitz fridge. Light and nice looking but they age badly. For a long lasting fridge you’d be looking at a G&A (if looked after) or a Chereau. I didn’t realise SDC even made fridges. You sure it’s not an SOR? Thay are rubbish trailers, fall to bits in no time.

Lamberet fridges are also pretty decent and long lasting.

Is there not a rule that you could register in a EU Country any Vehicle if it has been Registered first in another EO country?
because,Dutch trailer up to 2.60 Meter wide :wink:

Lovlyperson:
Is there not a rule that you could register in a EU Country any Vehicle if it has been Registered first in another EO country?

Which involves an ■■■■■■ through Italian tunnels :neutral_face:

dave_k:

switchlogic:
No sorry Ady if you were looking for longevity you’d never go for a Schmitz fridge. Light and nice looking but they age badly. For a long lasting fridge you’d be looking at a G&A (if looked after) or a Chereau. I didn’t realise SDC even made fridges. You sure it’s not an SOR? Thay are rubbish trailers, fall to bits in no time.

Lamberet fridges are also pretty decent and long lasting.

Yes indeed we have or had two and with the flat back doors they were a fine looking machine. Don’t see many in UK though.

Just as a little aside remember when Chereau went bust a few years back? Krone bought them I think, so now in France you see a lot of cheap new Chereaus with plastic mudguards and stuff. When the Krone man was sent it to run it he told them their trailers were too expensive and they had to make a cheaper version too if they want to survive.

Driveroneuk:

switchlogic:
the Schmitz curtainsider is just an over designed disaster, awful awful things I hate them.

Interesting POV. When i first started at P&O Ferrymasters in 2004 the old blue tandem axle trailers that had sailed the Irish sea many a thousand time were about cream crackered.
They bought 900 (from memory) new Krone Euroliners. Think they would have bought Schmitz then, but they couldn’t deliver the quantity in the time frame stipulated.
These were followed a year or 2 later by a purchase of Schmitz Cargobull Euroliners.
Coming from an engineering background, I thought the difference was chalk and cheese with the Schmitz being far superior and better thought out compared to the Krone krap as I christened them.
I was very pleased to be asked to collect one from the Harelaw factory one day.

I know zilch about fridge trailers other than that they are indeed an expensive bit of kit and there is a new type of high efficiency refrigeration system on the cards.

That’s thing though I think they are massively over designed. It looks like a group of engineers who’ve never actually seen a curtainsider have been given the job of designing the Schmitz. In contrast the SDC is plain and simple and a joy to use. If I was buying curtainsiders SDC would be my choice every time.

I agree with luke’s views on the schmitz tautliners :imp:
we have only one out of 18 trailers the other 16 euroliners are all lecinena, the scmitz has all the extras except it’s designed with a terrible chassis so much so that if you carry an 18t coil in the well you can actually see the bend in the trailer :open_mouth: no strength but really light so it only gets used for flat sheet steel.
our one and only fridge is an SOR and even though it’s nearly 10 years old still works well and is in good condition

Ive always considered schmitz curtainsiders to be a good trailer… for an owner driver or a small fleet with good drivers. As a fleet trailer they are a waste of time.
A plus side though is that the chassis are galvanised and all parts are bolted. They are almost a meccano kit trailer and so can be repaired easily and relatively cheaply (in theory anyway!).

Kelberg used to do some good deals on trailers…
kelberg.com/truck_search/new_kelberg.aspx

Kate:
Coil Carrier Trailers | Trailer Manufacturers UK | Hingley Trailers

Doubt you wont get a fridge here, but you’d get a euroliner.

Dont bet on it, the bloke i do regular work for bought 5 fridges, ex Fresh Linc ones off this guy for £150k. They are assorted Lamberet’s, G&A’s, Montracon’s, they are all in exceptionally good condition as well…
Have to say out of the 3 makes, the Montracon does it for me…

Lovlyperson:

If its fridge trailers you mean, they are allowed to be 2.6m wide throughout the EU so they can be loaded with standard pallets and still have thicker insulated walls :wink:

Big Joe:

Lovlyperson:

If its fridge trailers you mean, they are allowed to be 2.6m wide throughout the EU so they can be loaded with standard pallets and still have thicker insulated walls :wink:

No,I mean Courtainsider of Dutch i seen at air cargo Centre.The Pallets were easier to load and they explained the trailers in NL can be leagel 2.6 meter wide

I doublechecked
its 2.55 i just see

Deepinvet:

No sorry Ady if you were looking for longevity you’d never go for a Schmitz fridge. Light and nice looking but they age badly. For a long lasting fridge you’d be looking at a G&A (if looked after) or a Chereau. I didn’t realise SDC even made fridges. You sure it’s not an SOR? Thay are rubbish trailers, fall to bits in no time

Totally agree, Schmitz are light but not much good, go for a ‘Good’ G&A, as for Curtainsiders you will struggle to beat a Lawrence David…with them you can have any spec you want, they will also do a deal…
As for Truck get one that makes you money… :laughing:

as far as i remember a lot of lawrence david curtainsiders were made in sdc at the toome factory.

Meant to be getting a SDC trombone timber flat next year. Cost’s €28k with all the bar’s,box’s,crane bracket and a slf lining rear steer. Good price isnt it,are they a good flat thou :question:

welshboyinspain:
I agree with luke’s views on the schmitz tautliners :imp:
we have only one out of 18 trailers the other 16 euroliners are all lecinena, the scmitz has all the extras except it’s designed with a terrible chassis so much so that if you carry an 18t coil in the well you can actually see the bend in the trailer :open_mouth: no strength but really light so it only gets used for flat sheet steel.
our one and only fridge is an SOR and even though it’s nearly 10 years old still works well and is in good condition

As an aside to this problem. 20 years ago Ferrymasters got a job from the then British Steel, moving 23 tonne single coils from Shotton to GM at Zaragosa and bought some tilts with wells for the job. Now I think I remember who built them, Dutch outfit, but as I’m not 100% certain I’d better not say. They were so strong that if they dropped the coil on with the dropsides opened, it was impossible to close them again. Some very happy crane drivers having to go back and lift the coil so the driver could close the trailer.

You didn’t get that problem with an M&G coiler.