How Much BHP is adequate?

Saw a Scania 620 V8 in our pit yesterday. Is 620 on a bulk tipper overkill? We had a Foden with a 405 ■■■■■■■ new when tbe 44t mgw limit was introduced so why is the BHP creeping up? Is Euro 5 and 6 choking up these new engines?
We had 250 and 275 bhp in 6ws 10-12 years ago and our Daf CFs now have 360s. When we bought Foden 8ws with 400 Cats many drivers thought that was excessive.

its all down to company choise really, i’ve been driving a 620 this week with a walking floor on while my 470 is havng a new engine fitted, its great on a long run gets into top and stays there, returns reasonable mpg and we run at max weight all the time. with my 470 is quicker about 58 on the flat but the hills kill it this ones doing about 53 and because of the extra power on the hills does the same run as i do but slightly quicker, in our game times money the trucks have to earn their money or we would all be out of a job :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

I run at max weight with a 410 and it’s bobbins up hills

Seen couple of 620 trolley dolly trucks hauling urban reefers around London.

More the merrier…

BHP means sweet FA, its torque that counts when your towing, a ■■■■■■■ 380 hp will pull most things up a hill that a 480 hp whatever will struggle at.

Id love more power this renualt is only a 420 at 44ton its crap even at 30 ton she hates hills my old scanny 420 but she pulled like a train buy its all down to torqu and gearing.

I always thought the golden rule was 10bhp per tonne or slightly more, anything over a 480 on standard haulage is overkill.

i’d say 480/520hp on 44 tonne work is more than enough.

My Sheddon with ■■■■■■■ and eaton did go like Hell,allways pulling Steel,timber,Bricks and Playwood on a Flat

Don’t you mean HP not BHP?

Muckaway:
Saw a Scania 620 V8 in our pit yesterday. Is 620 on a bulk tipper overkill? We had a Foden with a 405 ■■■■■■■ new when tbe 44t mgw limit was introduced so why is the BHP creeping up? Is Euro 5 and 6 choking up these new engines?
We had 250 and 275 bhp in 6ws 10-12 years ago and our Daf CFs now have 360s. When we bought Foden 8ws with 400 Cats many drivers thought that was excessive.

10-12 hp max per tonne produced at less than 2,000 rpm should be enough on most jobs.But no one says that a 620 has to be driven around flat out everywhere which is the clue to the advantage in going for more power because these days the extra power is usually obtained by having more torque not by more engine speed. :bulb:

Booked in when??:
Don’t you mean HP not BHP?

They do and one is more than sufficient :laughing:

When you come to Standedge, you have to leg it :stuck_out_tongue:

But there is light at the end of the tunnel

Immigrant:
My Sheddon with ■■■■■■■ and eaton did go like Hell,allways pulling Steel,timber,Bricks and Playwood on a Flat

Is that like Balsa?

I know what certainly WASN’T adequate; A subbie we used to use had an 8w FL7 240. It was an embarassment to watch and struggled on level ground. As I posted elsewhere, I caught the poxy thing several times going up the hill at stow on the Wold and was stuck behind it due to the traffic overtaking us.
I’ve also peed past a few FM7 290 6wheelers. Most gutless heap I’ve ever driven was a demonstrator Merc Atego, 6w with 280 (allegedly!). I was told to try it for 2 days. I found 1 more than adequate.

Carryfast:
these days the extra power is usually obtained by having more torque not by more engine speed. :bulb:

Eh? most big engines these days produce maximum torque between 1,000rpm & 1,400rpm while max power is always produced well outside the ‘green zone’ on the rev counter (normally around 2,000rpm) and big power & big torque go hand in hand in large capacity (16L +) engines.

Ross.

I saw a six axle artic tipper the other day the driver said payload was 27 tonnes, what good is that,still they look good

bigr250:

Carryfast:
these days the extra power is usually obtained by having more torque not by more engine speed. :bulb:

Eh? most big engines these days produce maximum torque between 1,000rpm & 1,400rpm while max power is always produced well outside the ‘green zone’ on the rev counter (normally around 2,000rpm) and big power & big torque go hand in hand in large capacity (16L +) engines.

Ross.

power is torque multiplied by rpm

fuse:
I saw a six axle artic tipper the other day the driver said payload was 27 tonnes, what good is that,still they look good

Was he pulling a steel scrap trailer? The ones I load are all 28.5-30t. Before we had Quiksilver liners fitted to the floors, we had one that could carry 30.2 :open_mouth:
One Cemex owner driver (now packed it in) had an 8w FM9 380. He was advised not to have the FM12 as it would’ve meant being overloaded with 8m3 on.

Engines are like pricks everyone wants a bigger one