How many hitches are there and how many can do them?

How many hitches are there and how many drivers can do them these days. :sunglasses: :frowning: :slight_smile: :confused: :unamused:

shirtbox2003:
How many hitches are there and how many drivers can do them these days. :sunglasses: :frowning: :slight_smile: :confused: :unamused:

Ask Eddie Stobartā€™s drivers ? theyā€™ll know, sorry but couldnā€™t resist. :laughing: Les.

last i heard there was a double dolly but dont let it slip u end up on your aā€¦ very embarrassing :smiley:

Only ones I used were the half hitch, splice, dolly and double dolly.

I only had the one hitch at the registry office :wink:

Start a tunnel NOW, Trev. Itā€™ll take you some considerable time but itā€™ll be worth it in the end! :wink:

I used the normal dolly knot, the spreader, double dolly (usually as a spreader on the other side) and the barrel hitch.

As I thought,not many replies,what is Bewicks stance on this? :open_mouth: :unamused:

Heā€™s still busy counting Gardner engines in his barn.

I canā€™t do any type of hitch, ropes and me just donā€™t agree somehow! :cry:

Pete.

Suppose we all had our own ideas of hitches for pulling directly down when there was no hook directly underneath, also depending on the load would be the decider if we ā€˜locked offā€™ the rope between straddles, if you did this right then even if a rope loosened it would stay loose without affecting the two taught ropes either side.

Basically i used the standard dolly, or double looped the top of the dolly if the load was likely to move, less chance of a double looped dolly shaking undone.

Juddian:
ā€¦
ā€¦ or double looped the top of the dolly if the load was likely to move, less chance of a double looped dolly shaking undone.

:slight_smile: Iā€™d forgotten about that! Yes, I did that sometimes as well - going around the head of the dolly twice.

If you went around the dolly head" twice" i was impossible to flick the dolly out. when undoing the rope ,i have never know any dolly come undone ever.
if you want to know the proper answer for how many hitches,bends in the sea world go to "ships nostalgia"it is the same forum for the sea as this is for the road
Zeterpilot i proper barrel hitch. doubt it.

What about the Manchester hitch.? :unamused:

shirtbox2003:
What about the Manchester hitch.? :unamused:

Come on then shirtbox2003, Whats the definition of the Manchester Hitch ? :laughing: :laughing: , Regards Larry.

Hiyaā€¦i think we only used one hitch but a daped them into doubles or spreadersā€¦spreaders was where you was tying off a stupid
mudguard was in the way so you would start to tie off with a dolly on one hook then fit another dolly to an hook the other side of the
mudguardā€¦yes i can still do oneā€¦i would say anyone who ever tied a dolly can still do it if they wanted toā€¦its like swimming or
riding a bike. you never forget.
John

The Manchester hitch is the same as the, liverpool kiss, you would not want one! ,no such hitch, only named i expect by the local trafford park , brs from 1960s or other local haulier suttons ,maybe.then you get the Glasgow cross, the back of the load CROSS,all local to whatever area you came from ,ask hauliers from ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  ,there is only one hitch the right one. how long is a piece of string.its the same with hitches .who cares now i doubt they are used now days with curtains and straps.
The modern day driver would want hand cream then gloves on.

I don,t know Lawrence,but drivers at Dutton Transport, Whalley, often referred about them when roping in the yard there,things like double Manchester with a bottom twist,i was only a young lad then but more interested in the mechanical side than the driving at that time, :confused: :open_mouth: :unamused:

Hi,i used to stretch up high do a dolly,pull it down,put in a 2nd dolly,so wen u pull the 2nd dolly down it automatically pulls the 1st one to tighten more,then i would take out the 2nd dolly,ā€œu get itā€ Norman croad,Torquay,Devon.

Hitchy arse
Hitchy hands
Hitchy feet
Hitchy cā– ā– ?

And thereā€™s a load I canā€™t name :wink:

I never knew the names I just did what was needed.
My X father in law God bless him was a sailor as in hobby he has a 27ft yacht and would say ohh thatā€™s a such an such :open_mouth: me not a chuffin clue .