How many here work in automotive or motorsports transport?

I’ve since long tried to get into the automotive or motorsport industry, but coming from a background in childcare, I’ve nothing to offer. I’ve thought about becoming a lorry driver, since cars, car parts, racing teams, etc. will always need to be transported and therefore is a way of getting my foot on the door. Am I completely mad or is there some sense in my strategy?

I can’t imagine anyone in the automotive/motorsport industry would take on new drivers, due to the high value of the goods transported. I would expect them to require a few years experience, probably accross Europe before you’d be considered… But I’d love to be wrong :smiley:

I know a few people who work for Williams F1 as its up the road from me. The only drivers they employ are the ones that drive the cars. All the wagon drivers are race mechanics, cross trained. Why pay wagon drivers 52 weeks of the year when you only want them to drive to the euro races on a wednesday, sit around all weekend and drive back on Sunday night. Usually double crewed too. About the only place they seem to do any cost saving :laughing: :laughing:

As said, quite a few truckers often have to do other things as well as driving, be that setting up, sorting out catering/hospitality, or handy with the spanners. There are a few drivers on the forum with experience, muckles is probably the most prevalent…

From what I’ve read/learnt, it’s not a case of driving to the racetrack and then cracking open a beer with a front row seat. You probably won’t even see the race! :neutral_face: