How many foreign trucks?

As I travelled down the m1 southbound last night,I watched the stationary mass going north and was gobsmacked how many foreign trucks were sat there. For every 1 UK truck, there must have been 3 left hookers,I wonder if anyone actually knows how many run here?

how many days was calais closed for in the end? probably a back log coming in, The factory I work in had to cut a shift short and cancel saturday overtime because of part/paint shortages.

That’ll be because of Calais, all of a sudden thousands of trucks take every spare space coming over the channel. We had 67 wagon and drags arrive over the weekend from hubs across Europe, our package volume this week is projected to be higher than Christmas.

Been in Newport Pagnell n/b today and there must have been 15 Warberers in there.

SteveBarnsleytrucker:
Been in Newport Pagnell n/b today and there must have been 15 Warberers in there.

Yes, I saw they had virtually taken over one of the M6 n/b services a week or so back and turned it into their UK depot. Frustrating when you’re looking to park up for a break and there are so many of them, presumably ‘based’ at the services, that there’s no room left.

That was before the ferry strike…

I see some info who 1.5 millions truck per years.it can be about 5-7 thousand every day.

IIRC, in the mid 90s, 80% going through Dover-Calais were UK trucks. Earlier this year I saw figures for the last quarter of 2014 and it was a shade under 17%.

albion:
IIRC, in the mid 90s, 80% going through Dover-Calais were UK trucks. Earlier this year I saw figures for the last quarter of 2014 and it was a shade under 17%.

It seems obvious that whatever growth we’ve got in the economy doesn’t translate as actual growth in the ‘domestic’ economy.Which proportionally can only be way into negative territory in real terms when the proportion which is benefitting foreign industry is taken out.

Yeh. Took a trip across Europe last week, not behind the wheel. Couldn’t help noticing the absence of UK lorries. In the resthalts there are Warberers, Trewogers, Koops, Norberts, DHL, and lorries from every country east of Dover. But almost no UK. In fact, outbound I saw two Stobarts (yes, really - I think they were walking floors) and one Irish, all going west. Inbound…nothing, and I was looking hard.

Of course we know the pound is strong atm, against the euro, so that exports are expensive. Conversely, imports are cheap. So is foreign transport (inc driver wages) and fuel (90p/litre diesel where I was). I’m just praying that we’re exporting by other means (at Seaforth docks, for example, there are a lot of Vogues going somewhere) or we’re exporting ‘soft’ goods - expertise, services, skills, software…stuff that doesn’t go on a pallet.

A lot of English manufacturers will use foreign trucks, simply because they are cheaper. I looked at some of the rates knocking about, going out and backloading into the UK and it was cheaper to come back empty, but someone is doing them somewhere.

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

I called in to the N/B on Monday morning (0200), It was rammed with trucks and well over 90% were foreign, mainly Warberers.

I was thinking to myself it’s about time that Entry/Exit barriers are installed as I can guarantee that the majority of flip flops won’t be paying the £23.50 to park - but it could cause a queue back to the motorway, so they may not be able to do anything about it

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

Stafford north is the same as well