How low do you go? - Would you risk it for a biscuit?

Low bridge 1 inch less than your stated height, would you risk it?
How much lower than your stated height would you risk?

What kind of biscuits we talking about here…

Which bridge?

I always prefer to give her a couple of extra inches

Never go under what my posted truck height is. If you do clout the bridge your ■■■ is grass!

A lot of firms mark their trailers an inch or two higher than what they are in at attempt to make them idiot proof.
Afaik many bridges are also marked up a couple of inches lower for presumably the same reason.
(Don’t any said idiot take that as gospel btw. :laughing: )

Your suspension will drop what?..3 inches??
So basically it depends how brave (or confident) you are. :smiley:

I once went through blackwall tunnell truck was 2 inch less than height tunnel was marked as.but never again.had lots stupid yellow pole things hanging down in the tunnel . Got through ok but was a bit neverey in case somebody’s measuments weren’t fully accurate

My wagon is 12’6" " to top of crane , cab marker is set at 13’10" . apparently that’s the height that sets the alarm if the crane isn’t stowed correctly. If it’s less than the cab marker I go round .why worry ? I’m paid hourly . If that’s what the powers that be want ■■?

There is a bridge off the A40 marked at 15’6 on Greenford Road that adds a bit of a round the houses to detour. Not sure if Ive seen many of the deckers going the long way round, but would recommend keeping left where the road is lower. I think the opposite way is marked at 15’9.

We run 16’2” DD’s under a bridge on A689 (A1 - A19) marked as 16’3”.

stu675:

In a word NO from past experience on the south coast a bridge was signed up as being within my height clearance the only problem was on the other side there was a slight gradient which did not allow for the tail end to clear.

For anyone who might be thinking of risking it, be aware the TCs and DVSA are all over Bridge Strikes right now, there’s a lot of PIs and Driver Conduct Hearings lined up right now because of these incidents.

It’s really not worth the risk.

Low bridges are required to be marked/signed with a figure that will be at the very least 3 inches lower than the actual measured height (they round down the inches figure to the next whole multiple of 3, and take off another 3 inches to provide safe clearance). The measurement is also required to be taken in a way that allows a standard length vehicle and any gradients on the entry/departure.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Watch out or recently resurfaced roads, there’s at least one bridge I know of (Lemington in Newcastle) that wasn’t height checked after resurfacing. After the initial hoo-har of driver-blaming, the company got a brand new vehicle for free :smiley:

edd1974:
I once went through blackwall tunnell truck was 2 inch less than height tunnel was marked as.but never again.had lots stupid yellow pole things hanging down in the tunnel . Got through ok but was a bit neverey in case somebody’s measuments weren’t fully accurate

Going thru that tunnel is great in arctic. Scares the ■■■■ outta car drivers :laughing:

Nearly all our trailers are lower than my unit.
My unit was signed as 13ft dead when I got it new.
I assumed there would be a margin for safety.
Measured it to be 100% sure. 13ft dead!!
I have done a couple of 13ft bridges, dump all the air out of suspension and proceed very slowly.

The road under a bridge had been reconstructed …every one thought some one would fit a new warning sign as it had reduced clearance :open_mouth:

trevorking1964:
I have done a couple of 13ft bridges, dump all the air out of suspension and proceed very slowly.

If you are going under a 13ft bridge in a 13ft unit (especially one that you know is correctly measured because you have checked it), why are you dumping the air? The 13ft that is signposted is the ‘‘limit’’. You will never get a job at stobbies :laughing:

stu675:

Anyone thinking about risking it for a biscuit. Please don`t as it causes delays for me and my train. Thanks :smiley:

Plus I would have to upload the pics to Trucknetuk for everyones enjoyment. :smiley: :smiley:

shullbit:

trevorking1964:

If you are going under a 13ft bridge in a 13ft unit (especially one that you know is correctly measured because you have checked it), why are you dumping the air? The 13ft that is signposted is the ‘‘limit’’. You will never get a job at stobbies [emoji38]

Fear!