How long to prep a vehicle for its anual test

Dropped the lorry I usually drive(nearly said mine) at the workshop Fri lunchtime.
Its due for test pm Weds. Seems a bit excessive for a 4 year old motor maintained by a main dealer imo.

Suedehead:
Dropped the lorry I usually drive(nearly said mine) at the workshop Fri lunchtime.
Its due for test pm Weds. Seems a bit excessive for a 4 year old motor maintained by a main dealer imo.

You’ve broken it, it’s all your fault! :laughing:

Drempels:

Suedehead:

You’ve broken it, it’s all your fault! :laughing:

It is a Mercedes :blush:

Steam it off, kick the tyres and headlights, take it in the workshop next day and reline brakes .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wheel Nut:
Steam it off, kick the tyres and headlights, take it in the workshop next day and reline brakes .

What good would kicking the headlights do ?
Are you an ex Saudi customs officer ? :stuck_out_tongue:

4 years? Due 2nd tacho calibration? Thats another 5 minute job`… that always looks easy when someone experienced is doing it.

Suedehead:

Wheel Nut:

What good would kicking the headlights do ?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
time for another wooooshhh perhaps?? :confused:

I would of thought 3 days is normal. Someone will clean it, then when it’s dripped off dry they will go through it and assemble a shopping list. Then said shopping list will have to be approved by someone important (well thinks they are) then stuff is ordered as no stock is held. All new stuff put on checked then taken for its test. Would not think much change out of 3 days unless it’s a 24 hour workshop.

Three days is usual for us.

when mine goes for an mot due in april. hire company has it about a week. and I end up with any old heap they have spare.

they have to steam clean it all over give it a pre mot check a good service etc. repair any faults you cant spot on your daily checks . ie does it need new brake pads bushes worn etc

As a comparison, my Scania is 4 years old, and had its test 3 weeks ago.
Prep wise, I washed it, inc underneath, which took about 90 mins.
Our mechanic pre MOT checked it, which he spent another 90 mins doing. Nothing needed doing, so 3 hours total, including washing.
With a driver that looks after it, and proper servicing and inspections every 6weeks, they really shouldn’t need a lot of ‘pre mot’ work doing.

P222:
As a comparison, my Scania is 4 years old, and had its test 3 weeks ago.
Prep wise, I washed it, inc underneath, which took about 90 mins.
Our mechanic pre MOT checked it, which he spent another 90 mins doing. Nothing needed doing, so 3 hours total, including washing.
With a driver that looks after it, and proper servicing and inspections every 6weeks, they really shouldn’t need a lot of ‘pre mot’ work doing.

^^^^ this , my lorry is 19 yrs old ,I washed it ,quick look round ,pre mot brake test so there’s no shocks on the day ,dig out the plating cert from the office and crack on , although I have done some jobs on it which were not failable items but I just didn’t want any advisories on .

You should work for a government department like I did - at least five working days in the workshop, plus another five days for the trailer if it’s an artic or a dog’n’pup!

(they didn’t just check things - they dismantled and rebuilt the whole ■■■■ shebang)!!

Steve

At Tilcon we washed them off on saturday morning, I inspected them on monday morning and they were always booked in for test on thursdays so about 3-4 days using about 4 fitters to prepare an eight wheeler for a test.

Pete.

The MOT test for vehicles is the minimuim standard required in road worthiness, so my question would have to be, why is the vehicle needing three or four days preparation to meet the minimuim standard.

Dave…

What is this pre MOT thing? Do the VOSA bods not like to fail them or does failing affect your what-the-ma-call-it green score?

dave docwra:
The MOT test for vehicles is the minimuim standard required in road worthiness, so my question would have to be, why is the vehicle needing three or four days preparation to meet the minimuim standard.

Dave…

Simple really. Strip and clean or reline all eight brakes as steam cleaning washed a lot of crap in the drums, replace any worn brake clevis pins and bushes, shim/replace balance beams and bushes etc which needed doing annually unless on rubber, renew any worn kingpins and adjust any worn steering balljoints. On the body weld any minor cracks and shim or bush tipper bar. Tidy up paintwork and give a good grease round, re-inspect and then hope for the best! We had at least one truck a week for test and didn’t have that many failures plus it set them up for a few more months work.

Pete.

I have never washed a lorry. :smiley:
Too voluntary wash underneath a lorry though… I hope you was a owner operator. :laughing:

My 2 year-old Merc went to Orwell Trucks a few weeks ago for 4 days of MOT ‘prep’, then failed the test. Its twin went in for the same the next week and guess what?!.. Yup, another fail. Apparently because the seat wouldn’t move. [emoji848]

The transport manager’s pulling his hair out. Hopefully he’ll realise switching from Volvo to Mercedes wasn’t such a great idea after all.

trevHCS:
What is this pre MOT thing? Do the VOSA bods not like to fail them or does failing affect your what-the-ma-call-it green score?

Yes, it is one of the factors in an Operator’s OCRS score.

gov.uk/guidance/use-the-ope … ew-of-ocrs

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk