How long to load 96 cages on a double decker

How long should it take to put a trailer on a bay and load 96 cages.

Impossible to answer without all the information.

It could be a fixed or moving floor decker. We don’t know how heavy the cages are. Similarly how many bods are loading. If a fixed floor, how big is the decker lift?

coops, are you sitting on the bay now?

no im at home. I did an assessment to day that didn’t go well. I was told that the procedure was you had 30 minutes to get the trailer on the bay and loaded. the floor of the decker moved however, you had to make sure each “york” was loaded correctly ie wasn’t over filled sort the heavy from the light ones and load them all onto the trailer with the light at the top and the heavy ones on the bottom obviously having first counted them to make sure you have a full load on the bottom.

the ones i saw looked fairly light and about waist high but i didn’t get as far as learning the loading procedure.

Now that you are saying the cages are yorks, I understand how it can be 96 now. I did think that was an awful lot.

I would say 30 minutes if everything is ready to go and you just have to put them on. To be honest, it takes as long as it takes. There isn’t any cutting corners when it comes to your load.

My experience of yorks was that because of the relatively low weight, not every row needs strapped, but it depends on the procedures where you are.

This is the thing it could easily be that procedure says x but reality is y and no one really cares how long it takes long as the job is done.

with yorks is it as simple as was suggested of looking at them and saying that one is 1/4 full so light and that one is 3/4 so heavy. or does each one have to be tested.

when i was doing my checks he did tell me that as part of it i needed to make sure i had at least 3 sets of straps

They will probably have different items in, so not necessarily how full. I’m sure you would work it out, but you said the assessment didn’t go well. When do you find out?

i know now… long story but reverse and time taken.

gear selection was weird and i needed to take a shunt fwd thought it was in drive as i had done the 10 point procedure but was still in reverse and the assessor shouted before i managed to get my foot back on the brake.

its my own fault i have no one else to blame

As long as you know your mistakes and learn from them it will make you a better driver. No ones perfect, everyone, experienced or inexperienced can make a mistake. A decent person testing you there would know you will take ownership once trained on that type of trailer. Good luck :+1:

coops, you don’t know how this works. It was a dodgy gearbox and the assessor was a prick. You were shafted good and proper.

Yorks…Royal mail?
30 mins? That should be long enough for me to get it on the bay. Loaded, another 90 mins unless there’s a lot of help!

Are you serious? At the point where I was told “You have 30 minutes…” is when i would say cram it no thanks.
Its done when its done.

1 Like

30 minutes for 96 cages? Even if you were already on the bay that’s one cage every 18 seconds and that’s not even allowing time to move the deck up. I’d tell them to stuff their job.

worse than that you have to make sure that the goods aren’t sticking out the top. Not to mention getting the trailer on the bay. Im sure on average it would take even the most experienced driver a minuet or 2 by the time they have driven to the bay and given way to pedestrians and other vehicles coming into the yard and waited for someone else to get on.

Now i know why an ex driver for the company told me they had a lot of people finding the deck had collapsed when they got to the destination.

There will be bods around to help load them on I would imagine. When I have been at RM, anyone that happens to be there, whether it be a delivery office driver, a manager or whoever will muck in to get a trailer loaded, or any other vehicle for that matter.
Edit: for all we know it might not be RM though, other places might have yorks too.