How long is a day?

Help! I’d like some confirmation on how long in a day/shift/24hr period you can work.

If I clock in at, say, 3:00am what’s the latest I can clock back out assuming I’ve driven less than 9 hrs, all other time has been spent on “Other Work” and I’ve taken 45 minutes break in first 9 hrs of shift (on completion of 4.5 hrs accumulated driving) & another 15 mins between 9 & 12 hrs.

Cheers, Nez

Briefly, the rules say you have to have a daily rest of 11 hours within each 24hr period. The 24hrs starts when you clock in for work. So if you start at 0300 you must be done for 1600. This allows for an 11hr rest taking you up to 0300 the following day.

You can reduce the rest of 11hrs to 9hrs 3times a week. No need to compensate this. (I say that because you used to have to compensate and some of the old hands still think this). The week starts at midnight Sunday as it rolls onto Monday. This never changes unlike the “day” which starts when you do.

The other daily rest is split rest. If you have had 3 hours rest minimum during your shift then you only need 9 hours at the end of your shift and this does not count as one the 3 occasions a week when you can normally do this.

Strongly suggest you get yourself booked on a driver cpc course for the subject as it’s very difficult to give a concise yet clear answer in a short post.

Hope this helps and wish you all the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

The latest you can clock out is 18.00hrs. That will allow you to have a reduced rest of 9hrs.

Strongly suggest you get yourself booked on a driver cpc course for the subject as it’s very difficult to give a concise yet clear answer in a short post.

This document contains all you need to know, it’s free and is from the horse’s mouth, ie VOSA.
http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/Rules%20on%20Drivers%20Hours%20and%20Tachographs%20-%20Goods%20Vehicles%20in%20GB%20and%20Europe.pdf
This website shows you how to make the best of the rules without breaking them.

Regards,
Nick

Peter Smythe:
You can reduce the rest of 11hrs to 9hrs 3times a week. No need to compensate this. (I say that because you used to have to compensate and some of the old hands still think this). The week starts at midnight Sunday as it rolls onto Monday. This never changes unlike the “day” which starts when you do.

You can reduce your rest of 11hrs to 9hrs 3 times between two, weekly rest periods which is not necessarily a fixed week. The fixed week does not change, but it is not really relevant for the reduced rest allowances.

Peter Smythe:
Strongly suggest you get yourself booked on a driver cpc course for the subject

:unamused: :unamused:

Peter Smythe:
Briefly, the rules say you have to have a daily rest of 11 hours within each 24hr period. The 24hrs starts when you clock in for work. So if you start at 0300 you must be done for 1600. This allows for an 11hr rest taking you up to 0300 the following day.

The other daily rest is split rest. If you have had 3 hours rest minimum during your shift then you only need 9 hours at the end of your shift and this does not count as one the 3 occasions a week when you can normally do this.

Might be a good idea for you to do the same, you wouldn’t be getting basic stuff wrong then. Although it has only been 4 years and 4 months since it changed so you may not have caught up yet. :wink:

Thanks, I need to get my head around the fact that I’m coming into this backwards to my usual way of thinking. It’s not about what I’m working but fitting work in around the required rests.

I think a dcpc course on this would be beneficial.

One of the problems with being grandfathered in with a pre '97 licence is that as you don’t need to do the dcpc, and because the cost of getting the C & C+E licence is expensive enough, you dont! Therefore you miss out on a lot of useful (make that essential!) info/experience that it’s assumed you’d already know it! But as a car driver…why would you■■?

I’ve still got to do another 21hrs of training towards my CPC, so I guess it’s time to start saving for the basics!!! :0

Cheers, Nez

Nezza:
Thanks, I need to get my head around the fact that I’m coming into this backwards to my usual way of thinking. It’s not about what I’m working but fitting work in around the required rests.

One of the problems with being grandfathered in with a pre '97 licence is that as you don’t need to do the dcpc, and because the cost of getting the C & C+E licence is expensive enough, you dont! Therefore you miss out on a lot of useful (make that essential!) info/experience that it’s assumed you’d already know it! But as a car driver…why would you■■?

I’ve still got to do another 21hrs of training towards my CPC, so I guess it’s time to start saving for the basics!!! :0

Cheers, Nez

I think this one should be compulsory and you don’t get your Digital Card until you have passed an exam. Digital lasts 5years, so does DCPC. Simples

Nezza:

If you think of the 24 hour period from the start of work (end of last daily/weekly rest period) and realise that you’ve got to fit both your working day and the daily rest period into it you wont go far wrong :wink:

Nezza:

You would think so wouldn’t you, the problem is that so many DCPC instructors haven’t done their homework and are giving out misinformation.

In my honest opinion the best way to learn this stuff is to go on a busy forum (my choice would be TN-UK but any busy driver forum should do) and ask questions, you will get the odd jerk flaming you for asking basic questions but they can be ignored.

The benefit of this is that if someone give you bad information on a busy forum their will be other people to correct the misinformation, on a course if the instructor gives bad information your stuck with it until you get fined or whatever for doing something wrong then realise the instructor was talking crap.

Also forums are free, courses aren’t :wink:

Silly daft typo. Bear with me - still off sick!! Better stay there till I think straight!! :laughing: :laughing:

What if it’s the last shift of you week? Are you still limited to a maximum of 15 working hours (assuming you’re within driving hours) given that you’re going into a weekly rest?

MAT:
What if it’s the last shift of you week? Are you still limited to a maximum of 15 working hours (assuming you’re within driving hours) given that you’re going into a weekly rest?

Yes. Remember the regulations make no mention at all about working 15 or 13 hours and it is all about the rest required in each 24-hour period. You extend a daily rest into a weekly rest so the requirement to have 11 hours rest, or 9 if you have a reduction left, in the 24 hour period which began after your last rest period still applies.

The Article from the regulations is:

Article 8, 2. Within each period of 24 hours after the end of the
previous daily rest period or weekly rest period a driver shall
have taken a new daily rest period.

So many people seem to read that and add in words like - except on the last shift of your week. It’s one of the most common things that drivers get infringements for but if they just read what is there and didn’t add bits in they wouldn’t. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

MAT:

If it’s the last shift before a weekly rest period you still must complete a daily rest period of 11/9 hours within the 24 hour period from start of shift.

Cheers, for something so fundamental to keeping legal there does seem to be a lot of misunderstanding.

I like the idea of asking basic questions on forums ( you probably noticed :wink: ), as you say, if the initial info is wrong…common consensus will soon correct it :slight_smile:

There’s no such thing as a stupid question…only stupid answers!

Cheers, Nez

Nezza:
There’s no such thing as a stupid question…only stupid answers!

Sadly the internet has proved that old adage to no longer be true. We’ve had some right stupid questions on here. (*) :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

(*) I don’t mean tacho related stuff.

redboxer850:
The latest you can clock out is 18.00hrs. That will allow you to have a reduced rest of 9hrs.

Is it not 17:00 as the maximum shift you can do is 15 hours

discoman:

redboxer850:

If the OP starts at 03:00 and can legally have a reduced daily rest period, his daily rest period must start no later than 18:00.

Starting at 03:00 means he must have completed a daily rest period by 03:00 the following day, 18:00 to 03:00 is 9 hours :wink:

discoman:

redboxer850:

You didn’t read the thread from the top did you?

24hours - 15 leaves you 9 hours, a minimum break taken within the 24

Drivers have to forget about 13/15 hour shifts or spreadovers, although we all talk about them. As mentioned all work, breaks and rest have to fit into a 24 hour period.

If you have one minute less than 11 hours continuous rest in any 24 hours you have already used up one of your reduced rest periods

If you drive for even 9h 01m you have used up one of your extended driving periods (10h)

Wheel Nut:

discoman:

redboxer850:

Drivers have to forget about 13/15 hour shifts or spreadovers, although we all talk about them. As mentioned all work, breaks and rest have to fit into a 24 hour period.

If you have one minute less than 11 hours continuous rest in any 24 hours you have already used up one of your reduced rest periods

WTF, drivers have to forget the 15 hours rule if you are up to 15 hours you have to stop you cant do more then a 15 hours shift that is FACT … I did a job for ARLA milk they had to send a driver out as I was stuck in Cambridge not able to get back due to my shift gonig over 15 hours so how can drivers forget 13/15 hours.

I am fully aware of the rest periods.

discoman:

Wheel Nut:

discoman:

redboxer850:

WTF, drivers have to forget the 15 hours rule if you are up to 15 hours you have to stop you cant do more then a 15 hours shift that is FACT … I did a job for ARLA milk they had to send a driver out as I was stuck in Cambridge not able to get back due to my shift gonig over 15 hours so how can drivers forget 13/15 hours.

I am fully aware of the rest periods.

Failed. The company cannot recover you like that :open_mouth: