How long have you been driving, what do you remember?

I’m 45years old this year and have to have a medical in a few months to retain my licences. I drove 7.5tonners when I was 18 and passed my class 1 at the age of 21, working class 3’s for a year and was lucky enough to get on the artics at the age of 22,couldn’t get enough of it… :smiley: I always listened and looked up to the older lads when I was a younger inexperienced driver. They’d be there to help you out in any situation and over those year I’ve made some really good mates.

24 years later and I wonder where that time has gone. I’m the 3rd generation in this job, I’d travel with my dad as a kid in Fodens and ERF’s and loved it, couldn’t wait to get that licence despite my old dad trying to convince me otherwise …lol.

I’ve seen a few changes and noticed however that despite my age there doesn’t seem to be many younger people coming into the industry (…and I can’t say I’d blame them ) and I wonder how things will turn out… I don’t know if the comradery has gone or whether it’s me begining to get tired of the job…

I’ve been lucky to have worked on so many aspects of transport, distance/ international work, tankers, tilts, containers, fridges, cutainsiders and low-loaders. I’ve loved it and absolutely hated the job at times, it cost me my marriage but in all honesty I couldn’t see myself doing anything else, maybe I’m just getting too old. :laughing: .

But I just wondered how long everyone else out there has been out on the road ■■? How old were you when you got your ticket, how did you feel and do you still enjoy the job ■■?

Started driving 7.5 in 1971. Did class 3 (rigid 4 wheeler) in 1975. Wish had done something else :unamused: Now on Class 1(sorry LGV C+ E) Love the driving. But thats about it. What else can I do except Retire soon :smiley:

Passed class 1 in Feb 1987 and I used to love those pre limiter days and i would stick between 60 mph and 100 kph on the speedo which gave me about 62 mph but couldn’t go back to not having cruise control.

Started out as a computer programmer and electronics engineer, couldn’t stand being in an office.
my brother asked if i fancied a trip to spain, so jacked in my job and [zb]ed off, drove the unit to portsmouth where my brother hooked up a trailer, we then went up and down from france to spain for a few weeks. I didn’t drive in france, but a few pesetas sorted the fact that i only had a car licence.
That was the start for me. I started driving vans delivering fruit and veg locally, then bought a tipper and started shifting waste, then got a class one and started on abnormal load work within the week.
Tachographs were pretty much optional extras up until about 6 years ago. I think that was the turning point between a slapped wrist and a prison sentence.
The main thing i’ve noticed is the amount of jobsworths coming into the job, or being brainwashed by large logistics providers. They havn’t put up much of a fight against the hard working East Europeans.
It’s the jobsworths that have spoilt this job.

I started (In '84) working for a transport company when I was 17… I worked In their warehouse, but regularly took a Transit van out once I’d passed my car test…
About a week after my 18th birthday, the boss asked me If I’d like to drive a 7.5t truck full-time (Apparently you could drive a 7.5t on a ‘B’ licence once you were 18 & not before) & by then the bug had bitten, so I accepted the offer…

I drove the 7.5t for 3 years & during this time I had the opportunity to do some shunting (Artics) In the yard as overtime…

On my 21st birthday I started my Class 1 training… 3 days later I’d passed my driving test In the morning, went back to the company I worked for to tell them the good news & the boss asked me If I’d like to take a run out that afternoon In their Volvo F7 artic… I accepted of course :smiley: :smiley:

I never did go back on the 7.5t, but had the F7 until It was replaced by an FL7… In Jan 1990 the company was taken over & a few of us lost our jobs ( me Included), but after spending 2 days on the dole I’d found a job working for a well known company with green trucks & an interesting uniform :slight_smile:

I enjoyed working for the ‘Green Machine’ as It was a good job back then, OK so they ran some Ford Cargo artics ( :frowning: ), but the work was good & clean…

I spent 6 years working for Stobarts & In that time I’d driven all over the UK, Ireland,Benelux,France, Some Spain & Portugal (In a FL10 :open_mouth: I might add)…

In '96 I returned to the land of my for-fathers & started working for a well known French Haulier & driving mainly back to the UK :confused:

A couple of year’s later I went to work for a company that did (Mainly) round trips from France to Scandinavia… A good job with good material & V.good wages…

By Jan 2007 I’d had enough of being away all the time ( anywhere between 2 & 6 weeks away. I did one stint for 3 months away :open_mouth: ) & decided to take a job locally, home everynight & staying within the Belgian borders…

I only worked there for 6 months… By that time (22 years of driving) I was sick to the back teeth of driving & felt like I was going mad & I needed a complete change of direction… I landed a job working in a food processing plant…

Now nearly 6 years later I have no regrets about driving… I’ve driven all over Europe & experienced many thing’s…

I think a lot of drivers go through a stage where they can’t stand the job anymore & need a break from It…

I’m now at the stage where I wouldn’t mind giving driving another go… I know the world has turned since I last drove & thing’s haven’t got any better for the drivers ‘lot’, but people always say ‘once a driver always a driver’…

Passed car test in 83 and remember being able to hoon around without being bothered by plod or bloody speed scamera’s.
Happy days :laughing:
I can also remember racing my mate on the M4 with a couple of solo Foden 4300 units at 70+ in the wee small hours. :laughing:

I remember driving a Saracen in the early 70s in south Armagh XMG, crossmaglen but they were too easy to blow up! :open_mouth: then everything was choppered in, :unamused: then it was footsie all the time! :open_mouth: as crab airways were too scared to fly! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Passed class 1 test in June 1988, Is 25 years something to celebrate??
Still remember most of that test to this day, but not a great deal in between haha.
I miss being able to park more or less any were you wanted with out worrying about some scroute nicking ya diesel.

Started in 1964 driving nights illegally before I was old enough to drive HGVs. That was in the days before HGV licences- as soon as you turned 21 you could automatically drive big 'uns without taking a further test. I used to run steel from South Wales to Hereford with a six-wheeler AEC for the day driver to deliver.