How long do I keep analogue tacho's for?

As above- How long can I keep analogue tachograph charts for? Just had a call from work asking where my charts are from November :-/ Turns out I have 11 charts over the minimum 28 (?) that is allowed. I imagine that isn’t the problem, but possibly the timescale? Any advice appreceiated. Just to add- VOSA were asking…

They should be handed to the vehicle operator after 28 but not after 42 calendar days

Thanks Rog. Any ideas of the likely outcome? Now VOSA are involved. I’ve obviously gone over that period :frowning:

Dico:
Thanks Rog. Any ideas of the likely outcome? Now VOSA are involved. I’ve obviously gone over that period :frowning:

businesslink.gov.uk/Transpor … sits_0.pdf - See if you can find a penalty because I cannot …

Thanks agaiin. Will have a trawl through when I get home.

Dico:
As above- How long can I keep analogue tachograph charts for? Just had a call from work asking where my charts are from November :-/ Turns out I have 11 charts over the minimum 28 (?) that is allowed. I imagine that isn’t the problem, but possibly the timescale? Any advice appreceiated.

You must keep with you any used charts for 28 days and you must hand them in to the transport operator no later than 42 days from the day after the date on the chart.

edit:
This post has been merged from another thread about the same question :confused:

Apologies. I do generaly use the search facility but was using my phone with a tiny screen at the time, and was keen to find an answer.

Dico:

hi there hope this helps

4-16B
DRIVER FAILS TO RETURN RECORD SHEETS/MANUAL RECORD/PRINTOUT TO THE TRANSPORT UNDERTAKING WITHIN 42 DAYS
If exceptional circumstances prevailed and/or the offence is unlikely to be repeated, VW(verbal warning )
Otherwise than above , FUE ( Follow Up Enquiries - Further action will be dependant upon outcome of further enquiries.)

Transport Act 1968, Section 97C(1)(a), (b), (2) & (4) SO-4

IF VOSA are in good mood warning,if not and goes to court cost one of the drivers i work with £260, then court :cry: fee,s added total cost £415.sorry . :cry: But vosa don,t always get it right you can appeal and make a complaint … :laughing: :laughing: take some advice before you write…

A friend :smiley: has just found the last 28 days charts for a job that he left almost 2 years ago.
He didnt hand them in on the last working day as he was expecting to pop in the following week to finalise a few bits and pieces.

They got put in a “safe place”, got forgotten and have been there ever since.

In view of the time elapsed, what should he do :question:

This is one problem that didgi cards overcome!

roadcommander2:
A friend :smiley: has just found the last 28 days charts for a job that he left almost 2 years ago.
He didnt hand them in on the last working day as he was expecting to pop in the following week to finalise a few bits and pieces.

company only as to keep tacho for one year so I would think the bin would be the best place for them :stuck_out_tongue:

delboytwo:

roadcommander2:

company only as to keep tacho for one year so I would think the bin would be the best place for them :stuck_out_tongue:

The charts should be kept for 2 years if they’re being used to track the working time, but if they’re nearly 2 years old and your friend haven’t been asked for them I’d keep them a while longer then bin them.

If the company haven’t missed them in nearly two years they’re not likely to miss them now :smiley:

Thanks guys

I have a related question…

I believe the policy for a company I once worked for was to keep the charts for 6 months to comply with taco regs.
I think after 6 months they photo copied them, kept the copies for working time regs and destroyed the originals.
Was told they did this because no prosecutions could be based on photocopies,but the copies were acceptable for working time. Is this true?

STEVECB1300:
I have a related question…

I believe the policy for a company I once worked for was to keep the charts for 6 months to comply with taco regs.
I think after 6 months they photo copied them, kept the copies for working time regs and destroyed the originals.
Was told they did this because no prosecutions could be based on photocopies,but the copies were acceptable for working time. Is this true?

No it’s not true.

Charts have to be kept for 12 months for the tachograph regulations and they have to be kept for 2 years if they’re used for tracking the workers hours for the WTD.

Thanks for the clarification tachograph :slight_smile:

Dico:
As above- How long can I keep analogue tachograph charts for? Just had a call from work asking where my charts are from November :-/ Turns out I have 11 charts over the minimum 28 (?) that is allowed. I imagine that isn’t the problem, but possibly the timescale? Any advice appreceiated. Just to add- VOSA were asking…

Given the way you have worded that and the fact that it doesn’t seem to have been picked up on yet on the thread I should probably point out that the rule is not “you must have the last 28 charts”, it is “you must have any charts from the last 28 days”.

So as of today, 9th April, you must as a minimum carry today’s chart and any others you have used between the 12th of March and today. Charts over 42 days (6 weeks) old must be handed in to your employer, so as of today anything older than 26th Feb should have been handed in. Anything between those two dates (26th Feb - 11th Mar) can either be carried or handed in, your choice. You’re better off handing them in though as that way you can’t lose them, and VOSA can’t look at them if you get stopped.

Paul