How is tramping pay usually worked out?

Hi everyone.
Being new here, I’m looking for my first trucking job which is not easy. Call me difficult, but I don’t want to work for an agency if I can help it because all the agencies I’ve gone to so far have been total [zb]'s. How can they specify 2 years checkable experience with moffat, flt and hiab cert etc, and offer 8n quid an hour. ■■? One company told me that the pay isn’t all that, but you make up your money by falsifying the mileage to and from work on your expenses forms. Another interview seamed to be going ok until he asked what I was doing for work at the moment. When I told him I was a bus driver the reply was ‘we wouldn’t take on a bus driver, they’re too argumentative’ which probably translates to ‘they won’t risk life and lisence to line our pockets for us.’ I don’t know.

Anyway. Being where I am, I’m going to have to take a pay and conditions cut if I want to get into lorry driving, which I can live with until I have the experience to go for ADR and try and get on tankers or something a bit better. I’m considering selling my soul to Stobarts but I’m also hearing some really bad things about the pay.

Moving on, my question is this. How is tramping pay worked out in general? Do you get paid for the hours you are at work, or just actually working i.e. driving? How much can I expect for spending nights camped in a lorry? Do I have to make my own way back if I get stranded out of hours? Anything from the oracles of knowledge on this site woud be great.

Cheers, Dan.
its always better to be late than the late.

I’m considering selling my soul to Stobarts but I’m also hearing some really bad things about the pay.

It’s not all that bad IMO. £7.50 between 06:00-18:00 and £8.50 for 18:00-06:00. They pay £13 tax free meal allowance too. With a guaranteed 50 hours your minimum pay is £440 per week. Hardly peanuts. As a tramper you’ll do far more than 50 hours and will make good use of POA which IMO is free money, I wish I got paid to do nothing, I have to earn my money. They pay £20 odd tax free night out bonus too. When the last adverts for Trampers were on their site they said they earned £35-40k. And they pay into a pension

How is tramping pay worked out in general? Do you get paid for the hours you are at work, or just actually working i.e. driving?

You’ll get paid for driving, unloading and POA.

Do I have to make my own way back if I get stranded out of hours?

As a tramper you have nowhere to get back to as you spend all week in the cab. The planner should (take should with a pinch of salt) plan it so you can get back in reasonable time at the end of the week. If not they may send someone to pick you up, not sure on their policy but they’re not going to leave £100k worth of truck on the side of the road while you thumb a lift home. I know drivers who have been stranded in the past and they’ve always been picked up.

Yep pay is £6.5 - £ 7.00 p/h or it could be a salary depends on the company you work for

Nights out normally about £20.00 tax free

You may qualify for working tax credit

But remember that you are responsible for the Safety & Contents of the load at ALL times ( EU law)

animal:
But remember that you are responsible for the Safety & Contents of the load at ALL times ( EU law)

Unless they deduct your breaks from your pay! If they do, you are quite within your rights to ■■■■ off away from the vehicle for your 45. :wink:

pete-b:

animal:

Unless they deduct your breaks from your pay! If they do, you are quite within your rights to [zb] off away from the vehicle for your 45. :wink:

I doubt that somehow, if you park it in Glasgow or Liverpool and the wheels go missing. I imagine you will be eating crap next week :stuck_out_tongue:

Wheel Nut:

pete-b:

animal:

Unless they deduct your breaks from your pay! If they do, you are quite within your rights to [zb] off away from the vehicle for your 45. :wink:

I doubt that somehow, if you park it in Glasgow or Liverpool and the wheels go missing. I imagine you will be eating crap next week :stuck_out_tongue:

“check out the size of those rims man!”

Tuffnells have depots all over the country. Night trunking is start 7:30 finish between 4 and 5 am.£455 per week. This is my first week driving and its been relatively painless. You get a bit of a work out too with demountable containers.

What ever you go for good luck.

The Saxmachine:

Wheel Nut:

pete-b:

animal:

“check out the size of those rims man!”

Tuffnells have depots all over the country. Night trunking is start 7:30 finish between 4 and 5 am.£455 per week. This is my first week driving and its been relatively painless. You get a bit of a work out too with demountable containers.

What ever you go for good luck.

Is that pay before tax or after tax :question: :question: :question:

Before tax. Is be really laughing if it was after. Still, its more than I’ve ever earnt, and probably more than most earn. The government use the wrong average for wages because of the people on stupid money.