How is the job situation for an E.U qualified driver?

Hi all,

British expat plans a return.

After driving HGV 2 in Finland for the last 6 years (mostly multi-drop) I’m planning on returning to the U.K. I plan to move to the Bristol/Bath area and I’m wondering if my CPC and C license I got whilst in Finland will be readily accepted? Also what is the work situation like? Plenty of jobs? Can anyone recommend any agencies? Plan to be back middle of October. It would be great to get something lined up before I return.

I know that I can transfer my Finnish driving license and CPC to U.K ones, but wonder if there will be any problems at first presenting my Finnish ones.

Many thanks,
Andrew

I suspect employers are now well versed in accepting driving licences from all over the EU.

Lots of jobs out there but I’d expect the wages to be pretty similar to what they were when you left the UK.

Out of interest do you speak Finnish - How did you end up in that part of the world?

I have been with Blue Arrow in the Bristol for a little over a year now working on the Buses, but now looking to move over on class 2 work. From my point of view I have to say they are very good and well to work with you to get work, as well as you have the option of working on PAYE or with a Ltd. which ever you prefer take. if you PM me I can give you more details and phones to call for the driving team there.

jonnyboat:
I suspect employers are now well versed in accepting driving licences from all over the EU.

Lots of jobs out there but I’d expect the wages to be pretty similar to what they were when you left the UK.

Out of interest do you speak Finnish - How did you end up in that part of the world?

Hi there,
Yep I speak Finnish. Took me ages and my competency is still pretty low. Most Brits move to Finland for love. I really miss being able to communicate with fluency hence wanting to move back. Still feel like an outsider here which is a typical expat feeling. Thanks for taking time to answer.

nfk2001:
I have been with Blue Arrow in the Bristol for a little over a year now working on the Buses, but now looking to move over on class 2 work. From my point of view I have to say they are very good and well to work with you to get work, as well as you have the option of working on PAYE or with a Ltd. which ever you prefer take. if you PM me I can give you more details and phones to call for the driving team there.

PM sent. Many thanks.

Contacted DVLA direct and got loads of great info…