How is my driving please? call this number *********

Yes u all know what i’m talking about…that old sticker on the back of trucks, coaches or vans

‘Dial this number to grass up the driver…for no real justified reason…other than the fact that u’ve got all day to doddle around and u don’t like others making progress…cos they’ve got [zb] to do…’

Has anyone suffered the wrath of their boss…after…THAT CALL■■?

Have you ever phoned one and told them how good the driver is?.

NO?.

Maybe you should.

I know a couple of drivers who have had people phone the number up to praise something the driver did. It works both ways.

I know of a company that,when they first got the stickers on their trucks,other drivers in the company used to ring it to praise the guy,even if they were miles away from each other. :laughing: :laughing:

Ken.

Yeah but look at it this way,

If you have someone do something plain stupid,
like the idiot before xmas who decided to force his way past me in the Dartford tunnel ignoring the weight restriction, speed limit and the fact the lanes in the left tunnel are barely wide enough for a truck anyway. Yep he dragged his curtain along my mirror. I was about an inch from losing the other mirror to the wall the other side :unamused: Now this was just plain stupid, ok i wouldnt have died from it or even been injured but would have caused a large amount of damage to the truck. Secondly it was stupid as he was driving a DHL liveried vehicle the same as i was, I guess he didnt think i’d be passing a DHL site at some point in the future! :unamused:

So you get someone does that, you can either ring the police who will check CCTV and throw the book at him, points, fine, loss of job, livelyhood etc
or you can ring his boss and tell him, in which case he gets a bollocking in the office and thinks twice next time he tries it.

Have i ever suffered the wrath? Nope, if you drive sensibly it’s unlikely you ever will. :wink:
If your boss gets one, he might talk to you about it, if he gets several each week then you’re obviously doing something wrong and should consider a career move.

It takes a lot for me to see red and report a driver. But I did just this the other week
I was in my car on a fairly good road when a tipper flew up behind me so close he was almost in the boot. There road widenes to two lanes further down so I was hoping he would pass (It is a 40 mph road by the way and I was doing bang on 40)
He could not wait for that and started honking his horn and I could see him in the mirror waving his arm to wave me out of the way (Up the pavement would have been the only option.)
As soon as the road looked like it was widening he forced his way past nearly taking my wing mirror with him as I put two wheels up the kerb to avoid getting creamed.
He floored it and swerved in front nearly knocking another car out of the way and headed for the lights which were red. He spotted the red light (surprisingly) and laid rubber as he stopped.
There were also school children waiting at the lights to cross pretty close to the kerb and the truck slewed as he ground to a halt.
I drew up next to him in the inside lane so he pulled down his nearside window and yelled a load of abuse before careering off again as soon as the lights changed.
I did wonder if he was drunk
I got real mad as I had a friend with me with a baby in a carrier in the back seat so I phoned the number on the back of the truck.
The boss was obviously not interested and I got ‘Yes madam’ two or three times till I saw red, told him I was a HGV driving instructor and did he want the complaint in writing on DSA headed paper or would he prefer the police to deal with it as I had the number of the truck etc.
His attitude changed a little and he said he would pull the driver in for a talking to.
I think in these cases if the driver is that bad it is right to report it as if he carries on like that he will kill somebody sooner or later and I would not like that on my concience.

I’ve been called in a three times now.

One was where some bloke reckoned I’d hit him, and after investigationit was discovered he was trying an insurance fiddle for damage he’d done to the car.

Another when somebody rang to say thank you letting them in and how courteous my driving was. :smiley:

And the last one was somebody complaining that I deliberately holding up the traffic by doing 38mph on a single carriageway.

It makes me wonder why it’s called Well Driven? - because I really doubt that is why most people ring up!

jammymutt:
Have you ever phoned one and told them how good the driver is?.

I wanted to once, but I couldn’t keep up with him (her) to get the number.

flying_fenman:
And the last one was somebody complaining that I deliberately holding up the traffic by doing 38mph on a single carriageway.

Funny you should say that. On the back of the trucks in the fleet i drive for (and many others now i have noticed) on the back of the trailer it has the ‘‘Well Driven?’’ on the bottom of one door and on the other door it has a sticker on like this:
‘‘This truck is legally limited to;
40mph on a single carriageway’’
(or something very simular).

Yes i’ve seen a few of those stickers lately. they list the speed limits on different road types diagramatically too.

Geezah21:

flying_fenman:

Funny you should say that. On the back of the trucks in the fleet i drive for (and many others now i have noticed) on the back of the trailer it has the ‘‘Well Driven?’’ on the bottom of one door and on the other door it has a sticker on like this:
‘‘This truck is legally limited to;
40mph on a single carriageway’’
(or something very simular).

Yeah I’ve seen those. What a good idea! Where can we get 250 or so? :smiley:

Slightly off topic - but to do with stickers - I was just about to go out of the gate the other day and one of the fitters from the garage came up and said
‘hold up a minute mate - just got to put this sticker on your trailer’s shutter door.’

On the sticker was printed ‘KEEP OUR ROADS LITTER FREE!’

And this particular trailer, having been on supermarket fridge work for the last 12 years, and therefore being held together with bits of weld and sillicone - I could not help thinking that we are not practising what we are preaching!! :laughing:

We dont have them stickers- however they rang the number of the side of the cab, and said that one of our drivers were doing 80 mph in the end lane- apparently- Do these people just do it for a laugh :question: :question: :question:
Obviously the boss knew it were rubbish- you only need to look at the tacho :angry: :angry: :confused: :confused: