How high is the dartford tunnel?

today was the first time i’ve been though the tunnel since i started in the new job luckily i only had a 13’9 trailer on and i realised i don’t know the height we use 15’9 deckers does anyone know if they squeeze through? i’m sure i saw a 15’9 sign but i only saw it at the last minute

Mr B:
today was the first time i’ve been though the tunnel since i started in the new job luckily i only had a 13’9 trailer on and i realised i don’t know the height we use 15’9 deckers does anyone know if they squeeze through? i’m sure i saw a 15’9 sign but i only saw it at the last minute

I was 16’ going through the other week they put me through the right bore, I’m sure it said 16’6 on the entrance might be dreaming though!

Fly sheet

The height limits are 5 metres, 16’ 6", for the right bore and 4.8 metres, 15’ 9", for the left.

When they close the right bore during the night for maintenance you will find matrix signs on the M20 and M2 warning of restricted height at the tunnel and advising drivers of vehicles over 15’ 9" to go round the other way.

thanks, i always use the left bore so i’d better pay attention in future!!

I use the right because the lanes are/appear wider :blush:

Curiously, the Maximum Gross Weight for vehicles using the Dartford Tunnel is 38 tonnes.

Source england-legislation.hmso.gov … 2_en_1.htm

I always use the right tunnel and the third lane when in traffic upto the tolls, far the quickest lane and tunnel.

Dogmatix:
I always use the right tunnel

So do I because you can get over into lane 4, the outermost lane, after exiting the tunnel to avoid those vehicles who want the very first exit but have come through the wrong bore and slow right down before crossing the double, solid, white lines.

That as well, and along with the time of the day you get a massive q of motors trying to get into the services which causes a backlog on that side.

Harry Monk:
Curiously, the Maximum Gross Weight for vehicles using the Dartford Tunnel is 38 tonnes.

Source england-legislation.hmso.gov … 2_en_1.htm

Thats all out of date now hole new set of rules and charges.

When you come out of the east tunnel ( The right one ) give me a toot i am on the right as u come out most of the time.

Also mon to fri the tunnels have been closeing over night for mataince close from 10pm till 4am apxx.

and the A13 is usually queueing onto the M25 so being in the middle lane saves you moving out. Shame most ■■■■ head car drivers dont realise it’s a solid white line as you exit the tunnel and you cant move over right away

Just chance it mr b whats the worst that could happen?

crash into the tunnel, get wedged , maybe injury , maybe the sack , but it will make a awesome thread on TNUK :grimacing:

we load out of sheerness and come back through the dartford at 16"0.you must use the right tunnel if 15"9 or over.just try remembering to get to the right hand toll booths on your approach,cos trying to fight your way across from the left is a pain in the botty.they do have an alarm system which goes off if your overheight for both tunnel heights(i generally turn the radio right up to sound proof the clatter as i go in :wink: ).

buck rogers:
we load out of sheerness and come back through the dartford at 16"0.

Surely by the time you come back through it, it has turned into a bridge? :wink:

Here’s a challenge, see if you can get through booth 1 and then make the right hand bore. I’ve managed it from booth 2. :laughing:

8wheels:
Here’s a challenge, see if you can get through booth 1 and then make the right hand bore. I’ve managed it from booth 2. :laughing:

that’s easy, just bang on the indicator and over you go, anyone flashes you just give em a wave :smiley:

If you are overheight for the left tunnel they will hold the traffic at the tolls to let you cross. Used to have a 15ft 6in ejector trailer and something sticking up in the load would sometimes set the alarm off.

I run with a 15’9" trailer and when I started going through the tunnel with the new trailer I was going through the left hand one as I didn’t realise about the height until I was going into it and my trailer was ok clearance wise although I’m sure it was close :slight_smile:

Then they started to divert me across to the right hand tunnel every time I approached so I try and get across now before I get to the tolls, I rang them up to ask why all of a sudden they were making me go through the right hand one and suggested that there should be a sign as you approach to inform you that higher trailers need to be going into the right one and she said they had only started enforcing it since the change of ownership during last year and the new owners were very strict on this

buck rogers:
we load out of sheerness and come back through the dartford at 16"0.you must use the right tunnel if 15"9 or over.just try remembering to get to the right hand toll booths on your approach,cos trying to fight your way across from the left is a pain in the botty.they do have an alarm system which goes off if your overheight for both tunnel heights(i generally turn the radio right up to sound proof the clatter as i go in :wink: ).

lala crunch lalala sparks lalalala scraping noises

“if i cant hear it, its not happening” :laughing:

When I read the title of this thread I thought it was a trick question as tunnels by their very nature are low, underground even, had you asked the height of the Dartford bridge I could have answered, but there are a number of different answers :grimacing:
Height of road deck 65 metres above the river
Navigational clearance 57.5 metres above the river
Number of steel pylons 4
Height of steel pylons 84 metres
Total height of pylons 137 metres above the river