How hard is it?

After being made redundant again, after only 6 months, and without any warning signs…i have really had enough now.

If i could go to Canada tomorrow, i would.

So…my question is…how hard is it to make the move?

I have read lots of posts on here, without any really seeming to give a true reflection of what it all entails (or maybe it’s just the way i read them?), so i am asking for some straightforward advice/tips on making that big step.

What companies will take on British drivers? Would i be able to get out Vancouver way straight off (i have family there), or would i have start in the East and aim to move west?

How much is it going to cost?

Depends whether running solo or have a family . We sold up lock stock and barrel ,brought to kids and a dog ,there were a few hurdles in the way which we overcame , but we really wanted to move here and had previously be here on holiday many times.
You could try Challenger if Vancouver is your choice ,not sure who else ,but that depends on the type of visa/work permit you intend landing with.
Costs ,20 ft container 10000 dollars,flights for 4 2500 dollars,and the dog 4200 dollars,that was in 2005.
Too many people think it’s a good idea but don’t think through long term ,if you really want Canada then go for it,a great place to live :smiley: Best of etc.

H&R are a good bet to get out here and they have the supourt network to get you started and although there are horror story’s taffy here seems to be going ok but it’s horses for courses.
I’ve just started with a smaller firm and its down to you to sort out your test and set up bank accounts etc but its not to bad to do.
Others on here can help more but I’m not sure if there’s much of a driver recruitment system in BC as it seems all the Brits are based here in Manitoba Alberta sassketchawan and a few in New Brunswick.
Not cheap realy mate you need to retake your hgv and although the driving test is easier than the UK the air brake test is a bit of a mystery to us Brits at first. I done mine for about $1000 and that was 3 lessons and the test.
Plus accomodation car etc so obviously I can see where the Vancouver bit comes in handy. Other thing to remember is how long before you get a wage as its fortnightly pay and 2 weeks in hand so depending on the firm and or where you start in the payroll cycle you need a few quid for living.
It took me 16 days from landing to sitting behind the wheel for my first trip.

thats pretty good going, 16 days. so from landing to your 1st pay check a month, thats not to bad.
think i’d much prefer a smaller transport company to a big un if ever i were to do it, but h&r seems a good way in for the beginner, to get set up, learn the ropes etc,etc. i guess then serve your time? and move on if you want later on.
think i’d want to do a couple of holiday/recce trips out there first just to get a proper idea of what its all about, 1 in the summer and 1 in the winter.

I. Did 1 trip had a look round and sorted the job out its the way to go. Word of warning though to anyone yeah look at the pictures it’s great driving a big American lorry to Texas or wherever and there’s not the congestion. Of the UK but you will work harder and more hours than you did in the uk for not a lot more money.
Only thing is housing and cars are a bit cheaper.

kr79:
I. Did 1 trip had a look round and sorted the job out its the way to go. Word of warning though to anyone yeah look at the pictures it’s great driving a big American lorry to Texas or wherever and there’s not the congestion. Of the UK but you will work harder and more hours than you did in the uk for not a lot more money.

This is it. We do a darn sight more work here than is the case in the UK because we’re on milleage pay and have a much looser set of regulations allowing for a lot more legally, nevermind illegally. Many guys cant hack that and go home and many guys do like it because its a way of life with more freedom like used to be the case in the UK/Europe before the days where you had to do a manual tacho entry for having a ■■■■ or risk the wrath of umpteen governmental enforcement bodies etc.

My own experiences of coming here will probably be of no use as I came as a 24yr old single lad with absolutely no ties and I just lived in the truck for a year and a half saving money until I got residence. New Brunswick used to be the easiest place to come to, get a job and get all your residence papers but not any more. PNP is MUCH harder to get here now. It used to be that you had to wait six months before applying, now its 12 months and they are wanting to increase that to 24 months! I know for a fact that I would not be in Canada now if that was true for me when I arrived, I had to put up with so much crap from my first employer that I only stuck it out long enough to get residence but having to wait 2 years to apply would equal about 3 and a half years before you got residence.

My advice would be to follow kr’s footsteps and go to Manitoba and a small company like Flying Eagle. Manitoba still has cheap enough housing, there are plenty of jobs and in my opinion they have a much better PNP process than Alberta as in Manitoba you apply for yourself, in Alberta your company applies for you using their quota of PNP nominations and they cant nominate everybody, only a percentage so if you fall out with them or your face doesn’t fit, they essentially have the power to ruin your life and deny you a future here.

robinhood_1984:

kr79:

This is it. We do a darn sight more work here than is the case in the UK because we’re on milleage pay and have a much looser set of regulations allowing for a lot more legally, nevermind illegally. Many guys cant hack that and go home and many guys do like it because its a way of life with more freedom like used to be the case in the UK/Europe before the days where you had to do a manual tacho entry for having a ■■■■ or risk the wrath of umpteen governmental enforcement bodies etc.

My own experiences of coming here will probably be of no use as I came as a 24yr old single lad with absolutely no ties and I just lived in the truck for a year and a half saving money until I got residence. New Brunswick used to be the easiest place to come to, get a job and get all your residence papers but not any more. PNP is MUCH harder to get here now. It used to be that you had to wait six months before applying, now its 12 months and they are wanting to increase that to 24 months! I know for a fact that I would not be in Canada now if that was true for me when I arrived, I had to put up with so much crap from my first employer that I only stuck it out long enough to get residence but having to wait 2 years to apply would equal about 3 and a half years before you got residence.

My advice would be to follow kr’s footsteps and go to Manitoba and a small company like Flying Eagle. Manitoba still has cheap enough housing, there are plenty of jobs and in my opinion they have a much better PNP process than Alberta as in Manitoba you apply for yourself, in Alberta your company applies for you using their quota of PNP nominations and they cant nominate everybody, only a percentage so if you fall out with them or your face doesn’t fit, they essentially have the power to ruin your life and deny you a future here.

cheers.
think often this a regular problem, people look at something at face value, or don’t do enough research before making the jump.
the grass isn’t always greener. i can see by the diaries, that you lot can, and i guess want to if payed by mileage, do big mileages most days. don’t think i’ve ever beaten 830km’s on a 10, and that was an overnighter in spain, grossing about 17 tonne.
800km’s in canada/usa looks like 2/3s of a days work, and i’d imagine it takes some getting used to day in day out.
people often get blinded by the lure of a decent truck, and work thats abit different from the norm, amazing how many drop by the wayside when often a different realisation dawns upon them and they realise they’ve got to work for their money.

i have to admit it does look appealing out there, but with everything, pros and cons. the diaries do give a good insight to life out there, keep them up. just don’t tell us about the snow and chains to much :open_mouth:

DonutUK:
After being made redundant again, after only 6 months, and without any warning signs…i have really had enough now.

I have read lots of posts on here, without any really seeming to give a true reflection of what it all entails (or maybe it’s just the way i read them?), so i am asking for some straightforward advice/tips on making that big step.

What companies will take on British drivers? Would i be able to get out Vancouver way straight off (i have family there), or would i have start in the East and aim to move west?

Are you single? If so it’s easy with just a bit of money in your pocket.
The company in AB which I worked for would get you rolling within a week usually, and if you live in the truck for a while you should save money, but as has been said, it’s harder work than UK usually. I maxed out my 70/7 or 70/8 most weeks, and drove up to 750 miles in a shift, covering 128,000 in a year with a few weeks off.
If your married, get advise off someone who is married and doing the job.

mickfly:

DonutUK:

Are you single? If so it’s easy with just a bit of money in your pocket.
The company in AB which I worked for would get you rolling within a week usually, and if you live in the truck for a while you should save money, but as has been said, it’s harder work than UK usually. I maxed out my 70/7 or 70/8 most weeks, and drove up to 750 miles in a shift, covering 128,000 in a year with a few weeks off.
If your married, get advise off someone who is married and doing the job.

Thanks for all the replies so far. Some good advice there i think.

I am actually separated…the biggest thing that has held me back so far from going is my kids.

I have a 17 yr old daughter and an 11 yr old son…not sure how i would feel about leaving them behind.

Never been worried about working hard and realise that there are always sacrifices to be made when you want to completely change your life!

IF you are gonna go for this then you gotta get rid of the doubts as it will eat you up when on the road you got to much time to think about things lol on average I do about 600 miles a day in the US and more in Canada. Don’t forget also that BC is bit more expensive to live then AB or MB that’s another thing to think of. In all I’ve had a positive experence so far over here some I know not so good. I arrived on a tuesday the following week I had my test and passed it was about 8 days from when handed my UK class 1 over and I haven’t looked back. As other have said look into it and take from there. Also before you fly out make sure you have no loose ends back in the UK or that might come back to bite you in the ■■■

chilistrucker:
cheers.
think often this a regular problem, people look at something at face value, or don’t do enough research before making the jump.
the grass isn’t always greener. i can see by the diaries, that you lot can, and i guess want to if payed by mileage, do big mileages most days. don’t think i’ve ever beaten 830km’s on a 10, and that was an overnighter in spain, grossing about 17 tonne.
800km’s in canada/usa looks like 2/3s of a days work, and i’d imagine it takes some getting used to day in day out.
people often get blinded by the lure of a decent truck, and work thats abit different from the norm, amazing how many drop by the wayside when often a different realisation dawns upon them and they realise they’ve got to work for their money.

i have to admit it does look appealing out there, but with everything, pros and cons. the diaries do give a good insight to life out there, keep them up. just don’t tell us about the snow and chains to much :open_mouth:

The vast majority of people I know personally in New Brunswick who came over from the UK and Ireland did pretty much no research at all and suffered the consequences. Some of them thought they were going to live like kings in Canada and completely overstretched themselves financially when they got here because they believed the companies when they told them what they’d be earning. Driver recruitment here is an industry in itself, some companies have 3 or 4 people who’s sole purpose it is to recruit new drivers as there are constantly so many leaving. One company I worked at only runs about 100 or less of its own motors, yet employed 3 people in the office at the time to recruit drivers or bring foreign drivers over! They all come out with the same spiel about wages and home time and how great the company is but you soon learn to see through it and spot the BS. But those who came here with no research found themselves in a big hole and most cant get out of it now, many have spent their entire savings on getting here and havent even got the money now to ship their furniture back to England, let alone buy a house/get a mortgage. I know a few guys who are practically living paycheck to paycheck and as they havent applied for and gained residence, their wives cant work, so they have no money and they’re all fast approaching the four year limit. New Brunswick has already started cracking down on people who have been here for the four years and not applied for residence and it was only on the news a month or so ago that a British family were being sent back home.

The milleage pay thing is all well and good when you get good miles all the time but as a driver you are not in control of that. My first year and a half was on fridges and that was all waiting to hurry and then hurrying to wait. I used to re-write log books daily, sometimes more depending on circumstances and that wasn’t me being greedy wanting to earn more, that was what had t be done to make the normal wage I would of had, had there of being no unpaid waiting time. 15-24 hours on the go is quite common in that game. In my current job on box vans its much different but even then it sometimes goes wrong and you as the driver pay the price in the pocket, or choose to run bent. Just yeterday I sat in a factory getting loaded for 7 hours, on no pay at all and then exceeded my time to get to a point I needed to be at so that today I could be at my destination at a certain time. I ran bent, I wont pretend I didn’t and that its all rosey here, it happens, and thats why they’re in the process of forcing electronic log books on to us all, but that wont cure the problem, just the symptom. Either way it was all for nothing because apparently there is a discrepancy with my customs paperwork and the shipper doesn’t work weekends so I’m now stuck on the US side until monday, on no pay while office wallahs on hourly pay or saleries do on monday, what they should have done on Friday. Now dont get me wrong, this is a very rare occurance in this job I’m doing now, its the first time in 4 months anything has gone wrong at all, but it was a very regular occurance on fridge work and in NB thats what the majority of jobs are for foreign drivers and the shock to British people coming from tachos and everything by the book, all wrapped up in cotton wool etc, to the reality of North America is often too much and I’d never of done it with a family in tow. I came here soley for the adventure as there was none to be had in the UK/Europe and now that I’m looking to settle down in the future with my Canadian girlfriend, I’ll be looking for a different job once I’ve seen all the things here I want to see. I’ll either be doing a local day job on hourly pay, which will mean having to move to another part of Canada or I’ll move back to England and be on garunteed money for a days work.

The distances in a day isn’t that big a deal. Because we can drive when we want and dont have to clock watch and worry about taking breaks when we dont want to take them and things like that, its easy to crack on. Plus we’re driving along at 65mph all day as well. When I first came here and heared drivers talking of 1200km in a day I was worried I’d never be able to live up to what was required from me, in reality its easily done and because of the lack of regulations you’re not stressing about going 1 minute over your time and such like, you may do a longer day here than in the UK and even 1300km in one shift, but you feel less stressed out and fatigued for it. What gets you is what I explained further up, going over your time to make up for delays. A classic example of what happens on fridge work is that you are sat on a bay all day getting loaded, then at 4:59pm you’ll suddenly be done and sent on your way. Your company take that 8 or 10 hours of inactivity to be a legal break and expect (demand) you then do a full 13 hour drive to be 1200km away for 8am the next morning. You either do it and earn an average wage or you refuse and earn nothing and then get all the crap work for being a naughty boy and refusing to obey their orders. I’m in a job I really do enjoy now and today’s ferk up was a one off but I’d never go back to fridge work, especially eastern seaboard fridge work and I’d categorically advise anyone from the UK to stay well clear of any company in the Canadian Maritimes offering this work.

Thats my doom and gloom for the day. But people have to be told about the down sides and not just see the photos that wet the appetite and make it look so glamorous and enviable.

robinhood_1984:
The distances in a day isn’t that big a deal. Because we can drive when we want and dont have to clock watch and worry about taking breaks when we dont want to take them and things like that, its easy to crack on. Plus we’re driving along at 65mph all day as well. When I first came here and heared drivers talking of 1200km in a day I was worried I’d never be able to live up to what was required from me, in reality its easily done and because of the lack of regulations you’re not stressing about going 1 minute over your time and such like, you may do a longer day here than in the UK and even 1300km in one shift, but you feel less stressed out and fatigued for it. What gets you is what I explained further up, going over your time to make up for delays. A classic example of what happens on fridge work is that you are sat on a bay all day getting loaded, then at 4:59pm you’ll suddenly be done and sent on your way. Your company take that 8 or 10 hours of inactivity to be a legal break and expect (demand) you then do a full 13 hour drive to be 1200km away for 8am the next morning.

It’s sound’s like Spain to UK fridgework in the late 80’s and early 90’s… Waiting in southern Spain all day to load (especially strawberries in Lepe or Huelva cos they wouldn’t pick, chill, pack them till you got there)… then driving flat out to Villamalla near the La Jonquera border for VET check and paperwork, then trying to make it to catch the boat from Cherbourg or wherever to Portsmouth or Poole (Those Truckline freighter ships!!!) to deliver ASAP to some fruitmarket in Manchester a fistfull of spent tacho’s, no hourly pay … all for just a fixed paid amount every week into the bank, most fridge drivers were paid salary then.

I’m bored driving here in the UK, sick of the over-regulated driving regs and health and safety bureaucracy with all the onus on the driver, so iv’e decided to come over to Canada in January… NOT on fridgework though!.. just flatbed work.
I’ve been driving artics the past 27 years, Agency Driving for the past 8 years, working at a different place everyday, different truck everyday, I’ve made good money on agency, really good money but the work is dying and the rates are dropping, I’m bored and I need an adventure… if you don’t try, you don’t get!.. One life, Live it… etc, etc.

All the different Canadian posts above are a great help by the way… very entertaining and helpful!.. (even the lorry drivers ‘schoolboy squabbles’ :unamused: ) :smiley:

robinhood_1984:

chilistrucker:
cheers.

The vast majority of people I know personally in New Brunswick who came over from the UK and Ireland did pretty much no research at all and suffered the consequences. Some of them thought they were going to live like kings in Canada and completely overstretched themselves financially when they got here because they believed the companies when they told them what they’d be earning. Driver recruitment here is an industry in itself, some companies have 3 or 4 people who’s sole purpose it is to recruit new drivers as there are constantly so many leaving. One company I worked at only runs about 100 or less of its own motors, yet employed 3 people in the office at the time to recruit drivers or bring foreign drivers over! They all come out with the same spiel about wages and home time and how great the company is but you soon learn to see through it and spot the BS. But those who came here with no research found themselves in a big hole and most cant get out of it now, many have spent their entire savings on getting here and havent even got the money now to ship their furniture back to England, let alone buy a house/get a mortgage. I know a few guys who are practically living paycheck to paycheck and as they havent applied for and gained residence, their wives cant work, so they have no money and they’re all fast approaching the four year limit. New Brunswick has already started cracking down on people who have been here for the four years and not applied for residence and it was only on the news a month or so ago that a British family were being sent back home.

The milleage pay thing is all well and good when you get good miles all the time but as a driver you are not in control of that. My first year and a half was on fridges and that was all waiting to hurry and then hurrying to wait. I used to re-write log books daily, sometimes more depending on circumstances and that wasn’t me being greedy wanting to earn more, that was what had t be done to make the normal wage I would of had, had there of being no unpaid waiting time. 15-24 hours on the go is quite common in that game. In my current job on box vans its much different but even then it sometimes goes wrong and you as the driver pay the price in the pocket, or choose to run bent. Just yeterday I sat in a factory getting loaded for 7 hours, on no pay at all and then exceeded my time to get to a point I needed to be at so that today I could be at my destination at a certain time. I ran bent, I wont pretend I didn’t and that its all rosey here, it happens, and thats why they’re in the process of forcing electronic log books on to us all, but that wont cure the problem, just the symptom. Either way it was all for nothing because apparently there is a discrepancy with my customs paperwork and the shipper doesn’t work weekends so I’m now stuck on the US side until monday, on no pay while office wallahs on hourly pay or saleries do on monday, what they should have done on Friday. Now dont get me wrong, this is a very rare occurance in this job I’m doing now, its the first time in 4 months anything has gone wrong at all, but it was a very regular occurance on fridge work and in NB thats what the majority of jobs are for foreign drivers and the shock to British people coming from tachos and everything by the book, all wrapped up in cotton wool etc, to the reality of North America is often too much and I’d never of done it with a family in tow. I came here soley for the adventure as there was none to be had in the UK/Europe and now that I’m looking to settle down in the future with my Canadian girlfriend, I’ll be looking for a different job once I’ve seen all the things here I want to see. I’ll either be doing a local day job on hourly pay, which will mean having to move to another part of Canada or I’ll move back to England and be on garunteed money for a days work.

The distances in a day isn’t that big a deal. Because we can drive when we want and dont have to clock watch and worry about taking breaks when we dont want to take them and things like that, its easy to crack on. Plus we’re driving along at 65mph all day as well. When I first came here and heared drivers talking of 1200km in a day I was worried I’d never be able to live up to what was required from me, in reality its easily done and because of the lack of regulations you’re not stressing about going 1 minute over your time and such like, you may do a longer day here than in the UK and even 1300km in one shift, but you feel less stressed out and fatigued for it. What gets you is what I explained further up, going over your time to make up for delays. A classic example of what happens on fridge work is that you are sat on a bay all day getting loaded, then at 4:59pm you’ll suddenly be done and sent on your way. Your company take that 8 or 10 hours of inactivity to be a legal break and expect (demand) you then do a full 13 hour drive to be 1200km away for 8am the next morning. You either do it and earn an average wage or you refuse and earn nothing and then get all the crap work for being a naughty boy and refusing to obey their orders. I’m in a job I really do enjoy now and today’s ferk up was a one off but I’d never go back to fridge work, especially eastern seaboard fridge work and I’d categorically advise anyone from the UK to stay well clear of any company in the Canadian Maritimes offering this work.

Thats my doom and gloom for the day. But people have to be told about the down sides and not just see the photos that wet the appetite and make it look so glamorous and enviable.

You can warn people all you like, but they will come over and run bent anyway. (Only way to earn money at some firms).

I ran on EOBR for th elast year and banked PLENTY of dollars, never ran bent and got paid for being held up at load/unload.
Not all companies are the same, but as long as you run bent, they will let you as it costs them nothing, and costs you everything!

contractdriver:

robinhood_1984:
The distances in a day isn’t that big a deal. Because we can drive when we want and dont have to clock watch and worry about taking breaks when we dont want to take them and things like that, its easy to crack on. Plus we’re driving along at 65mph all day as well. When I first came here and heared drivers talking of 1200km in a day I was worried I’d never be able to live up to what was required from me, in reality its easily done and because of the lack of regulations you’re not stressing about going 1 minute over your time and such like, you may do a longer day here than in the UK and even 1300km in one shift, but you feel less stressed out and fatigued for it. What gets you is what I explained further up, going over your time to make up for delays. A classic example of what happens on fridge work is that you are sat on a bay all day getting loaded, then at 4:59pm you’ll suddenly be done and sent on your way. Your company take that 8 or 10 hours of inactivity to be a legal break and expect (demand) you then do a full 13 hour drive to be 1200km away for 8am the next morning.

It’s sound’s like Spain to UK fridgework in the late 80’s and early 90’s… Waiting in southern Spain all day to load (especially strawberries in Lepe or Huelva cos they wouldn’t pick, chill, pack them till you got there)… then driving flat out to Villamalla near the La Jonquera border for VET check and paperwork, then trying to make it to catch the boat from Cherbourg or wherever to Portsmouth or Poole (Those Truckline freighter ships!!!) to deliver ASAP to some fruitmarket in Manchester a fistfull of spent tacho’s, no hourly pay … all for just a fixed paid amount every week into the bank, most fridge drivers were paid salary then.

I’m bored driving here in the UK, sick of the over-regulated driving regs and health and safety bureaucracy with all the onus on the driver, so iv’e decided to come over to Canada in January… NOT on fridgework though!.. just flatbed work.
I’ve been driving artics the past 27 years, Agency Driving for the past 8 years, working at a different place everyday, different truck everyday, I’ve made good money on agency, really good money but the work is dying and the rates are dropping, I’m bored and I need an adventure… if you don’t try, you don’t get!.. One life, Live it… etc, etc.

All the different Canadian posts above are a great help by the way… very entertaining and helpful!.. (even the lorry drivers ‘schoolboy squabbles’ :unamused: ) :smiley:

What province, and who with?

I don’t want to say right now, just in case it all goes ■■■■ up, but it’s a small company (forum advice).

I Googled ‘Canadian Transport Companies Jobs’ then picked through and emailed a dozen or so of them the same CV and after a reply, I completed their online form. All for long haul US work, I tried to avoid fridge-work (forum advice) but still wrote for a few smaller places.

Most got back to me, asking for interviews or for more info, some were interested but didn’t have LMO or were applying for LMO and asked me to complete application forms. I had a few video interviews (I had to use McDonalds because I don’t have wifi, one pre-arranged time interview had a kid’s birthday party with Ronald McDonald running round in the background! :open_mouth: )

The job/work i went for; All flights and 2 weeks accom paid(for licence & training), keep own truck, no double manning, no mentoring (just run with another truck for a trip or two) Long haul US work, 43c a mile for first year,(seems to be about average). All empty miles paid (forum advice), ‘minimum pay’ rate (about $11.00 per hour I think) layover time paid after 2 hours. Small fuel bonus + 1c per mile (not sure how this works), $80 Cell-phone allowance per month, trucks have Qualcomm. all flatbed work usually Georgia, Texas or L.A… thats all i know!

I have the signed employment contract here (all the above is written in contract) and named on LMO (waiting for letter). ACRO police record cert (forum advice) ‘No Trace’…PHEEWWW!.

I told them that I didn’t want to start till January 2013 because best agency work (The Cream of the Job) is November/December and the work totally dies in January till April… they said no problem and would mid January be ok for me… :smiley:

contractdriver:
I don’t want to say right now, just in case it all goes ■■■■ up, but it’s a small company (forum advice).

I Googled ‘Canadian Transport Companies Jobs’ then picked through and emailed a dozen or so of them the same CV and after a reply, I completed their online form. All for long haul US work, I tried to avoid fridge-work (forum advice) but still wrote for a few smaller places.

Most got back to me, asking for interviews or for more info, some were interested but didn’t have LMO or were applying for LMO and asked me to complete application forms. I had a few video interviews (I had to use McDonalds because I don’t have wifi, one pre-arranged time interview had a kid’s birthday party with Ronald McDonald running round in the background! :open_mouth: )

The job/work i went for; All flights and 2 weeks accom paid(for licence & training), keep own truck, no double manning, no mentoring (just run with another truck for a trip or two) Long haul US work, 43c a mile for first year,(seems to be about average). All empty miles paid (forum advice), ‘minimum pay’ rate (about $11.00 per hour I think) layover time paid after 2 hours. Small fuel bonus + 1c per mile (not sure how this works), $80 Cell-phone allowance per month, trucks have Qualcomm. all flatbed work usually Georgia, Texas or L.A… thats all i know!

I have the signed employment contract here (all the above is written in contract) and named on LMO (waiting for letter). ACRO police record cert (forum advice) ‘No Trace’…PHEEWWW!.

I told them that I didn’t want to start till January 2013 because best agency work (The Cream of the Job) is November/December and the work totally dies in January till April… they said no problem and would mid January be ok for me… :smiley:

The very best of luck! Flat bed work in Canada in January will certainly be a shock to the system, I feel sorry for myself as I slip and slide down the trailer to open my doors to back on a bay that time of year! lol.

robinhood_1984:
The very best of luck! Flat bed work in Canada in January will certainly be a shock to the system, I feel sorry for myself as I slip and slide down the trailer to open my doors to back on a bay that time of year! lol.

Thank you for your sympathy… I’m from the old rope and sheet brigade, but it was long, long ago! (when i was fit and young). I did lot’s of Scotland when I first started out and I can still remember the bitter cold, frozen sheets, split hands, soaked wet gloves and clothes, slippery ropes and relentless biting wind, this was before night heaters!.. i do remember that i did became super fit… instead of SUPER FAT as I am now, so it will hopefully either get me back into trim… or kill me.

The company ‘assures’ me :laughing: that their isn’t much tarping. Most of the trailers are ‘pre loaded’ in Canada and just need binders (I learnt that this means chaining and ‘Warwicks’ or straps in Canadian!), (so hopefully just a changeover) and if there is any tarping they use safety harnesses whenever possible. (looks a bit like a giant trapeze platform!..lol).

Something you notice doing the Agency work and driving for different companies is that you can see the UK economy working in full technicolour, from shop floor level upwards… and I can see that this year, every haulage company and superstore’s I have worked for over the years are moving a lot less goods, with less drivers and have haulage yards full of Tractor units and Trailers parked up midday, mid week, when they used to be empty…

DonutUK:

Here’s what i thought was a good ‘online’ Class 1 Test questions and Airbrake endorsement test for British Columbia (I collected the different ones for the lower Canadian provinces… )

yourlibrary.ca/driving/?

It might help you out a bit if you’re gonna go for it. I also have family (1 child 8 years old + Wife). I have decided to go it alone for three months, to see how it goes then bring them across later (they are keen to come with me, but i’m a tight arse!). I don’t own a house, so nothing to sell, I’m ‘self employed’ agency, so no job to lose…and my furniture is only good for bonfire-night, so we dont have much to lose, but I guess everyone is different.

hope it helps.

contractdriver:

Not trying to pee on your bonfire, but a contract over there is pretty worthless, although the flatbed company I worked for were spot on. My blog with pretty pics of loads etc, is here… cathincanada.blogspot.com/

mickfly:
Not trying to pee on your bonfire, but a contract over there is pretty worthless, although the flatbed company I worked for were spot on. My blog with pretty pics of loads etc, is here… cathincanada.blogspot.com/

Would that be the bonfire with my furniture in it? :open_mouth: …lol… I think the ‘Contract’ was for LMO purposes… because when reading through it, it says $60,000 for a maximum of 40 hours per week and 2 days off… :laughing: You and your wife should give up Trucking and become photographers and sell prints, you have captured some excellent moody scenes… and there are some beautiful pictures on your blog! :smiley: