How hard is it to

…fit some air horns?

My truck has a pathetic beep beep type horn and I want to beef it up a bit!

What sort should I be looking for and how do I fit them?

try looking for decent quality electric horns that sound like air horns, then it should be an easy swap without worrying about air connections,

firstly, you will need permission from your boss :wink:

secondly, there are some 3 trumpet air horns on ebay quite cheap, will need an electric and an air supply

fit under the cab using the brackets provided, cut the wires to the normal horn and connect to the air horn solenoid, then get an air supply, front cab suspension if air, is usually a good supply

Beep beep whats that coming round the corner, is it a forklift? Is it a vauxhall corsa naw its a poofy 44tonner :smiling_imp:

We just used to plumb them into the air supply with no electrics involved, only snag was with Gardner engined trucks the speed dropped by ten MPH with the force of the blast when you blew the horns! :slight_smile:

Pete.

Not a Merc is it? Mine sounds like Noddy’s bloody Toytown car…my W reg Ford ■■■■■■ estate has a lovely deep, throaty airhorn…whereas my truck sounds like Graham Norton on helium!

Born Idle:
Not a Merc is it? Mine sounds like Noddy’s bloody Toytown car…my W reg Ford ■■■■■■ estate has a lovely deep, throaty airhorn…whereas my truck sounds like Graham Norton on helium!

Same as the one on the works van, bloody pathetic.

Yet my Volvo car has twin horns right behind the grille I’m sure they knicked from the trucks side, it’s brilliant!

Born Idle:

Yep it’s a Merc!

My mate fitted train horns to my Actros about 10 years ago. He put a T bar in the air supply for the drivers seat and ran the pipe under the bunk and out from under the cab somewhere. I don’t remember where exactly, and this was a mk1 Actros anyway. He didn’t cut the wires from the old horn, just took them off and crimped a suitable connector to the wire running from the new horns, connected the two and Bob’s your uncle.

He didn’t cut the wires because he said I’d probably have to reconnect the original horn when MOT time came. Which I did. He was under the impression that unless the horn was factory fitted then it wouldn’t pass. I don’t know how true this is as I’ve never asked.

DaiDap:
My mate fitted train horns to my Actros about 10 years ago. He put a T bar in the air supply for the drivers seat and ran the pipe under the bunk and out from under the cab somewhere. I don’t remember where exactly, and this was a mk1 Actros anyway. He didn’t cut the wires from the old horn, just took them off and crimped a suitable connector to the wire running from the new horns, connected the two and Bob’s your uncle.

He didn’t cut the wires because he said I’d probably have to reconnect the original horn when MOT time came. Which I did. He was under the impression that unless the horn was factory fitted then it wouldn’t pass. I don’t know how true this is as I’ve never asked.

As long as it doesn’t play a tune it’s usually ok at MOT :laughing:

Out of interest, given the number of posts on here about inverters, microwaves, lights, horns etc, I have been thinking about writing a book/manual aimed probably primarily at owner drivers and small operators showing how to install all these various things and also some basic to intermediate level maintenance that may also be of interest to employed drivers looking to better understand the vehicle they drive. Would there be a market for this?

Another issue really is I suspect I’d have to fill the book with caveats like ‘once you’ve made your own dash table you must remove it whilst driving if it protrudes into the swept area of the windscreen’ yadda, yadda

The air supply must NOT come from any pipework fed directly from the braking system reservoirs. It must come from the auxiliaries circuit - eg driver’s seat etc.

Own Account Driver:

DaiDap:

As long as it doesn’t play a tune it’s usually ok at MOT :laughing:

Out of interest, given the number of posts on here about inverters, microwaves, lights, horns etc, I have been thinking about writing a book/manual aimed probably primarily at owner drivers and small operators showing how to install all these various things and also some basic to intermediate level maintenance that may also be of interest to employed drivers looking to better understand the vehicle they drive. Would there be a market for this?

Another issue really is I suspect I’d have to fill the book with caveats like ‘once you’ve made your own dash table you must remove it whilst driving if it protrudes into the swept area of the windscreen’ yadda, yadda

the correct answer to that is, as long as it is single TONE, it will pass the MoT

on my MAN TGA XLX i have got some 4 trumpet air horns, 4 chord, all sound at the same time, no problem with the MoT

whereas, if they were the train horns, 2 tone, 1 after the other, then it would fail the MoT

■■■■■, was that you parked in the lay by just outside Aberystwyth last Friday? As I drove home past it I noticed it was a robinsons and thought it might be you.

kjw21:
■■■■■, was that you parked in the lay by just outside Aberystwyth last Friday? As I drove home past it I noticed it was a robinsons and thought it might be you.

Nope not me…i was parked in Crewe last Friday.