How hard is a ADR course?

With risk of sounding like a idiot how hard is an ADR course? I consider myself reasonably intelligent but have never had anything to do with ADR and now going to be put through a course, do most people pass first time? Is a lot of it common sense? Or is it very in depth and mentally challenging?

dieseldave:
MISSION STATEMENT:- TRYING TO MAKE ADR AS EASY AS ABC FOR EVERYBODY

I’ll bet he will be along soon :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

am as thick as two short planks and i managed to pass the adr packages, tanks, didnt like the sound of the other two but i may have too do them so i hope i can pass em

ADR for packages isnt too hard really, lets face it the exams are multi guess and 4 answers given so you just pick the right one. More often than not 2 answers are way wrong so if you dont know it its a 50/50 guess!
Never done tanks myself and unless you are in that line of work or attempting the almost impossable and trying to get into that line of work then IMHO tanks isnt worth doing.
Just remember though if you do a full course now with the right registered trainer it counts as 21hours for the poxy drivers cpc, so its a bit of a saving in the long run.

Yeah it’s only for packages I think! Not aware that he ever does tankers! And as said it counts towards cox as well so that’s a bonus

Make sure the course is driver cpc approved - it will cost a bit more - probably somewhere around the £75 mark but that’s £75 for 21 hours of Dcpc which is eqivalent to £25 for a one day 7 hour course - bet you cannot find cheaper that that!!

:smiley: i did and passed an adr course a few years ago thanks to the local council,we had to transport car batteries in bulk from their recycling sites,to be honest it is pretty easy ,there is two seperate courses packages and tanks,i did the packages which you learn about about different chemicals and gases ,what they do and what they can do if they get mixed ,explosive reactions ect,so they are a few that cannot be transported together,the tank adr is needed if you only move them in bulk,fuel tankers,liquid lpg ect.as i said the course was over 3 hours a night for 4 nights after finishing work then an exam which is multiple choice questions if youve took notice of the tutor and were interested in the subject ie not forced to go on the course the exam is a doddle unless muppetry mode sets in.once youve got your licence you must carry it with you if your transporting any chemicals,gases ect,and i think the training now counts towards your driver cpc hours,some one else on the forum might know for certain,so two birds with one stone,hope this is some help :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

steve o:
With risk of sounding like a idiot how hard is an ADR course? I consider myself reasonably intelligent but have never had anything to do with ADR and now going to be put through a course, do most people pass first time? Is a lot of it common sense? Or is it very in depth and mentally challenging?

Hi steve o,
In terms of difficulty, the ADR exams require approx the same level of knowledge as a GCSE or NVQ2.

The good part is that every exam question that you face WILL be multiple choice AND I’ll guarantee that the correct answer WILL be written in front of you.

For each exam, you’ll be given a question paper that has the questions and the four options (choose from A, B, C or D) written on it. The exam questions are not allowed to be ‘technical’ in nature and are designed to test the knowledge that you gain from the course. You will also receive an answer sheet for each exam on which you indicate your answer by drawing a line in a box just like filling in a lottery ticket. You’ll have your driving licence with you, so you can copy your driver info onto each answer sheet. You will NOT have to wonder how you’d write an answer, because there are NO written answers required. :wink:

The particular course that you take must be pre-approved by SQA and there’s the possibility of the place getting an unannounced inspection by an external verifier (from SQA) whose job it is to check the quality of the course against the required standards. If the place gets a visit, you’ve nothing to fear, cos it’s the instructor who is being quality-checked, not the candidates.

Good luck and please don’t worry about it. :smiley:

I’ll be here if you get stuck :grimacing:

Cheers everyone you have put my mind at ease for now! Will have to see how I get on!

…Just remember though if you do a full course now with the right registered trainer it counts as 21 hours for the poxy drivers cpc…

If you do the ADR full course which parts of the Dcpc will you still have to do?

Any good ADR + Dcpc trainers near Warrington?

JISL to ESL:
…Just remember though if you do a full course now with the right registered trainer it counts as 21 hours for the poxy drivers cpc…

If you do the ADR full course which parts of the Dcpc will you still have to do?

Hi mate, you’re spot-on about the 21 hours and finding the right provider that can offer the DCPC alongside the ADR course.

However, you might have not quite got the idea with DCPC, cos you’ve spoken about it as if it were a fixed course.
The DCPC is almost infinitely customisable by the customer (you) to take account of the subjects that YOU wish to learn. The only thing that’s mandatory is that you need to have completed 35 hours of training by 2014, the subjects that you wish to study and the frequency of the seven-hour chunks of training are all choices that are yours to make. There is quite a wide variety of subject areas that are approved for the seven-hour chunks of training that (they say) you need.

JISL to ESL:
Any good ADR + Dcpc trainers near Warrington?

Watch for a PM coming your way. :wink:

or you could work for a firm that use a provider who gets you too fill the exam sheet in pencil then once you have gone home rubs out the answers and fills them in pen… funny enough nobody seems to fail their courses.

in fact somebody i know actually passed tanks exam without sitting it.

I did my ADR course with the wonderful Diesel Dave…the hardest thing about it was choosing which pie to have at lunch time!! Though Dave was always on hand to help with that choice!!

John

jessicas dad:
or you could work for a firm that use a provider who gets you too fill the exam sheet in pencil then once you have gone home rubs out the answers and fills them in pen… funny enough nobody seems to fail their courses.

Hi JD,

Although this all seems to be a jolly good laugh, there are two points that may have escaped folk’s attention:

1.) SQA will probably have noticed the amazingly good (above the national statistical average) pass-rate for that particular provider, which might alert them into having a quiet little look at what’s what. :wink:

2.) Does anybody actually support the idea of this when the driver who benefited from this dodge might be driving a tanker-full of something highly dangerous up their High Street as soon as the ADR certificate comes through?

It would be rather like me obtaining an electrician’s or gas fitter’s certification without having the first idea about electricity or gas, so just how safe would that be ? :open_mouth:

In the case of ADR training, it’s entirely up to the provider and/or the instructor, because it’s their livelihood they’re putting at risk if they’re discovered.

I know of a couple of providers that lost their ADR providers’ licences for cheating the exams, so I’m now wondering how smart that idea actually is… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :grimacing:

have done my ADR was quite easy tbh ( if i can pass anyone can as hopeless at exams :laughing: :laughing: )

as has been said it is all multi choice

if you go for it good luck & remember to attend all days listen if in doubt ask questions

I was told last week that they want me to do the ADR. Now I think I’m reasonably intelligent ( though that could be up for debate) but I’ve got a memory like a sieve. So I’m hoping our manager has as well and forgets to put my name forward :wink:

dieseldave:

jessicas dad:

Hi JD,

Although this all seems to be a jolly good laugh, there are two points that may have escaped folk’s attention:

1.) SQA will probably have noticed the amazingly good (above the national statistical average) pass-rate for that particular provider, which might alert them into having a quiet little look at what’s what. :wink:

2.) Does anybody actually support the idea of this when the driver who benefited from this dodge might be driving a tanker-full of something highly dangerous up their High Street as soon as the ADR certificate comes through?

It would be rather like me obtaining an electrician’s or gas fitter’s certification without having the first idea about electricity or gas, so just how safe would that be ? :open_mouth:

In the case of ADR training, it’s entirely up to the provider and/or the instructor, because it’s their livelihood they’re putting at risk if they’re discovered.

I know of a couple of providers that lost their ADR providers’ licences for cheating the exams, so I’m now wondering how smart that idea actually is… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :grimacing:

i didnt mean funny ha ha i meant funny as suspiciously everybody passes their exams. ive told you about this before when i have seen you, my mate is the person who passed all the exams when he deliberlty failed them but was told to tick the answers in pencil. this is the same fella who passed the tanks although never took the exam and wasnt entered for for or explosives.

il pm you the details.