How far would you commute?

Hi all,

Been offered a warehouse job in an RDC for one of the big 4 retailers. It’s just the means of getting my foot in and eventually get onto class 1 driving, delivering to stores. They’re not recruiting for drivers at the moment. My current job is warehousing for a different company but because I’ve not had my class 1 for long I’m struggling to find driving work. My only turn off is the new place is 72 miles round trip for me, so my question is do I jack in my current job in the hope that I stand a better chance of eventually going into driving at the new place as I’ll already be in there? My current workplace is 4 miles round trip. So how far would you commute? Thanks in advance for your replies

If that’s day work I guarantee you’ll very quickly get sick of the commute and jack it in,not to mention the cost of fuel every week.
Tramping would be a different matter.

Furthest I ever went for day work was a 52 mile round trip,and as said above,I quickly tired of it and sacked it.
Furthest I ever went for tramping was a 120 mile round trip…with the same outcome.

It is day jib to begin with, I did ask for nights but was told ‘we don’t put new starters on night’

I wouldn’t, it’s a long way and you’ll soon be sick of travelling for day work. Plus the cost of fuel.

sent using smoke signals

ProudNewbie:
Hi all,

Been offered a warehouse job in an RDC for one of the big 4 retailers. It’s just the means of getting my foot in and eventually get onto class 1 driving, delivering to stores. They’re not recruiting for drivers at the moment. My current job is warehousing for a different company but because I’ve not had my class 1 for long I’m struggling to find driving work. My only turn off is the new place is 72 miles round trip for me, so my question is do I jack in my current job in the hope that I stand a better chance of eventually going into driving at the new place as I’ll already be in there? My current workplace is 4 miles round trip. So how far would you commute? Thanks in advance for your replies

Hello! The furthest I would travel for a round trip would be 25 miles, anything more than that could be detrimental to health especially if you max out hours! Lucid Dreams.

Well done on getting your Class 1, but I can’t really imagine that you’d get your foot in the door for a driving job by working in a RDC. I could be wrong, but I feel it’s a bit of a waste of time and resources.

Personally, I’d stay at your local job and keep hammering the driving job applications. The first job is everything. Once you have that you’re gaining experience and your employability improves every day.

Fuel’s around £5.50 per gallon, and an average car does around 35 miles per gallon. A 70-mile round trip is £11 per day in fuel, or £55 per week. Unless there’s a substantial wage increase that justifies and offsets this, I’d stay where you are and keep on the hunt for a driving job.

I’ve done 60 miles round trip for over 27.years. I once calculated how many years I’d spent on the M62. It wasn’t nice to think about. :neutral_face:

Not an ■■■■■■■ chance would I consider that!! :open_mouth:

Rottweiler22:
Well done on getting your Class 1, but I can’t really imagine that you’d get your foot in the door for a driving job by working in a RDC. I could be wrong, but I feel it’s a bit of a waste of time and resources.

Personally, I’d stay at your local job and keep hammering the driving job applications. The first job is everything. Once you have that you’re gaining experience and your employability improves every day.

Fuel’s around £5.50 per gallon, and an average car does around 35 miles per gallon. A 70-mile round trip is £11 per day in fuel, or £55 per week. Unless there’s a substantial wage increase that justifies and offsets this, I’d stay where you are and keep on the hunt for a driving job.

There’s actually a drop in wages as my current job is on nights so get a night premium. But like I said it’s just a means of getting my foot in the door, as I’m REALLY STRUGGLING to get anywhere with driving job applications apparently due to lack of experience.

ProudNewbie:
Hi all,

I do an 80 mile round trip at the moment, when I knew I was moving house I changed to nightshift to make sure the traffic was going in opposite direction to me, wouldn’t want to do it on day shift or 5 days a week, I work 4 on 4 off so it makes a difference.
Depending on where you’re based, alot of firms are relaxing rules to get new drivers in cabs…

ProudNewbie:

Rottweiler22:

There’s actually a drop in wages as my current job is on nights so get a night premium. But like I said it’s just a means of getting my foot in the door, as I’m REALLY STRUGGLING to get anywhere with driving job applications apparently due to lack of experience.

Where is it you’re based?

Maybe a long shot, but If there’re Stobart / Maritime / Turners / Keedwell depots near you, they keenly take new drivers.

Did Durham to Edinburgh area roundtrip 340 mile commute six nights a week for few months,have done Durham to Southend,london or chipenham for a single shift,not a normal job though.
Depends if there’s a realistic chance of getting onto attics,or you might just be stuck with fair old commute n same job as now?

66km to here…unfortunately.
Only once a week though. Plus a bonus if with the missus of a kick in the shins for not looking straight ahead… :grimacing:

youtube.com/results?search_ … ial+estate

Rottweiler22:

ProudNewbie:

Rottweiler22:

Where is it you’re based?

Maybe a long shot, but If there’re Stobart / Maritime / Turners / Keedwell depots near you, they keenly take new drivers.

Sorry I’m based in Bradford, tried all local companies and stobarts in sherburn, next door to new place, no luck

As Norman tebbitt once said “get on ya bike”

Travelling time makes more difference than distance.

My firm has 4 depots, nearest is about 5 miles away (with no openings for another driver at present), no issues getting there in the mornings, but can easily take up to an hour late afternoon/ early evening getting home. Next nearest is 8/9 miles, 15 mins getting there, 20 - 30 mins getting home. Main depot is 35 mins getting there (@25 miles) and can easily take well over an hour getting home and has taken over 2 hours on a number of occasions when I’ve worked out of there.

The furthest away, where I’m based, is 27 miles, 30-35 mins there and it’s yet to take me over 40 mins getting home. It also has the added bonus of a 7 mile or so stretch of B road, 3 villages to pass through, some windy roads that remind me a lot of the roads I learnt to drive on all those years ago. I stick (roughly) to the 60mph limit between villages, but can easily spot the stretches that would have had the ton target in my teens/ early twenties along with the places where it probably went wrong for those trying it. Wakes me up nicely getting to work! Invariably I come up behind something that won’t go over 45 on those stretches and brake on every bend on the homeward trip, other than that slight annoyance it only makes a few minutes difference to travel time.

Have you found out if the transport is in house or third party providers? If it was third party you’d be far from certain to get a transfer.

Have you been in touch with ADR network or H & G recruitment?
May get your foot in the door via an agency

ProudNewbie:
Hi all,

So where in the country do you live?.As there are quite a few companies that take on new passes nowadays.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk