How far to travel?

Just asking what people think,ive in a little town called Deal just on the outskirts or Dover.Now i havent as of yet sent any CVs to the local haulage firms near me but i was wondering how far people would be willing to travel to get to work for example if they had to get there everyday.

I only ask as i passed my test with Scania in Purfleet and they said after the test that they have a network of haulage firms that would take me on straight away but im not sure what area they cover.How far it to far to travel??

How long is a piece of string ? !!

only you know how much rest time you need between arriving at home to setting off again

Wages V fuel costs etc

A guy I know used to travel from Dronfield(Sheffield) to stoke on Trent every day approx 60 miles each way.

www.nicholls-uk.co.uk 45 mins from deal taking newbies on class 1, but you havnt mentioned which licence, if lgv 2 lenham storage again 45 min ish.

In previous jobs I’ve had to work away from home and took lodgings, eats into the wages but not as much as a two+ hour journey each way every day! Wasn’t driving, though. I’d personally consider anything up to an hour each way reasonable, depending on pay and how much I wanted the job.

Sorry forgot to say im a class 2 newbie.I was considering lenham storage,ive seen a few agenices advertising for them but nothing on there websites.Is there a way of going direct to lenham or do i have to go thru the agency.Anyone on here worked for them that could just enlighten me a little bit on them.

Was also thinking about applying to Co-op for drivers in purfleet??

As a newbie you might struggle to find anyone to take you on, so you may have to be prepared to travel as far as it takes to get to an employer who is willing to give you the chance. Then you’ll be able to accumulate the all-important two years of experience which should then open up your opportunities and allow you to look for work closer to home.

Remember, if you work on temporary assignments (i.e. expected to last less than two years), usually through an agency, you are allowed to claim your mileage against tax so that helps cover some of your costs at least.

Time is important, though. If you’re being run to the max then you might find you get as little as nine hours of rest between shifts. If you spend an hour of that travelling each way then you may be struggling to get enough sleep to stay healthy.

However, if you find a tramping job then you can travel further afield because you won’t be having to return home every night.

As an arbitrary guide, Eddie Stobart I think requires their day drivers to live within 45 minutes of the depot, and trampers no more than 1 hour away. I don’t know why, that’s just the way they seem to like it…

I travel about 35 miles one way to work. It is totaling thereabouts of 70 miles per day roundtrip. I t can be a bit of a pain when you have a few 15 hour shifts, it takes time to get home , get cleaned up , eat, sleep etc & travel back, being aware that you need your 9 hours reduced rest inbetween shifts etc, also be aware you may get held up in commuting traffic, roadworks, closures, accident delays. This also costs out your wages, fuel , tyres , maintenance, and you need a reliable vehicle.

Firmins in Kemsley have a sign out saying they are taking on…All classes to it said…Worth a shout…If you have a couple of nights out a week…Will keep the cost down in traveling too.