How does your firm stand

if you want an early finish or a doctors/dentist appointment.

at freightliner your name goes in the book then what ever time you put you finish roughly 45 mins after :confused: :unamused: except last time i wanted an early finish last nov they gave me a late box to bradford that i ended getting in the back to launch the stuff at them cos they were to slow and took the lorry home then went to see jess’s nativity play then took the lorry back to the yard.

reason im asking is cos im looking at a couple of different jobs and i would like the general opion of how it is elsewhere. longs of leeds were very good about but i know that maritime in leeds if you want an early finish or a day off in the week you have to take the whole week off. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Transalliance were probably the best I ever knew. They would do their best to get you home from France, even mid week if necessary, although it sometimes meant you drawing the short straw the following week.

At one place I heard about a driver missing his wifes funeral because of the planners pushing him to “just nip”

the guy i work for wants all doc or dentist appointments made for either first thing mon morning or last thing friday afternoon but apart from that he is pretty easy

The firm i work for is spot on just tell them what time etc and they sort out the work round it or just let you work in the yard and you dont lose any pay either :smiley: :smiley:
This is the firm that works the schedule out that if you have a night out you get an early finish i"ve known the drivers finish at 11am after a nightout :smiley: :smiley:

first crowd i worked for were brill let them know in advance and no probs the 2nd crowd where b,stads i asked one time for a late start they gave me an early one(pure spite)i used to have to use reverse physcology i.e i needed an early start i would ask for a late one but when it came around to doing them favours(phone be turned off) i have done the mgmt side of things and i believe that a mgr is only as good as his team treat the drivers well and they will look after you it works both ways.

scotstrucker:
the guy i work for wants all doc or dentist appointments made for either first thing mon morning or last thing friday afternoon but apart from that he is pretty easy

you can get an appt for any time you like for the dentist of doc and your work HAS to give you time off

Hebrides Haulage were great about that. Off course it was about the other drivers as well, as if I could not make run to the Islands, I was going to Uig only and swapping the lorries with the other driver, who was on the islands full week thanks to that.

But the other day I was doing the same for him.

Boss was great, even if we were late due to sleeping to long :blush: :blush: :blush: And he allowed me a couple of times to go with a lorry to do my business if it wasn’t too long and roughly on the way I was going.

McLellan’s was at the opposite end of the scale :slight_smile: They do not cared at all… “You can take day off if you need”.

Steve-o:

scotstrucker:

you can get an appt for any time you like for the dentist of doc and your work HAS to give you time off

For sure, but for most drivers on tramping it is better to book an appointment at those times anyway because it causes far less disruption at work as well as giving you a long weekend.

Harry Monk:

Steve-o:

scotstrucker:

For sure, but for most drivers on tramping it is better to book an appointment at those times anyway because it causes far less disruption at work as well as giving you a long weekend.

think thats why he asks for monday or friday, but if it couldnt be or later in the week then he would do his best to get you there

No point asking ours for an early finish, better just taking the day off. We’ve had a few guys miss hospital/doctors appointments.

Last time i asked to be finished by 1800 as i had something on, i got done at 1930…

Generally if you want to be home on a Friday night, or not work the Sat, they like to be told as early in the week as possible.

Could have had my planned early finish today buggered, but amazingly, i was in and out of FL Birmingham in 20 minutes…which is a personal best!

For me not too bad if they know in advance, still get the old “erm I’m not sure about that as I think x y and z is off that day, let me check, I’ll call you back”

five mins later “yep thats fine” :laughing:

at one firm i used to work at, i could always count on double the normal amount of deliveries and a late collection if i asked for an early finish :imp:

my current gaffer’s not too bad in this respect (although he’s awful in others!). being a small firm means that there’s not much scope for swapping runs around and it sometimes means starting at stupid o’clock to get the run done in time, but i’ve never missed an appointment yet. i can usually expect to pay back the ‘favour’ though :unamused: !

i always used to try and get an appointment last thing friday or first thing monday, but after several failed attempts at trying to get an early finish i used to just take the day off, they can try their best sometimes, but somethimes the traffic is simply against you

you know, I havent got a clue… lol

mole valley are pretty good as we’re on a rota 4 on 2 off not including sundays , & at a glance at it on paper it could be seen as a puzzle on the krypton factor but it works , so unless it’s a real emergency you just book the appointment on one of your rest days

Ours are normally rubbish at arranging early finishes or late starts…its difficult for them to even plan a picnic :laughing: :laughing:
so what i always do is book a day off…that way i am sure to get my appointment

i let them know monday or tuesday that i am taking friday off.
it’s not a request, it’s the way it is.
or get him to google a dentist near to where you’re tipping. the asian ones don’t need you to register and all that carry on. they’ll do a filling or pull a tooth for cash.