How does an accident affect my private motor insurance?

Had a wee bump in the lorry today. Very minor damage but has to go through insurance.
How will this affect my private motor insurance?? Do I need to declare it or not??

it doesnt,dont declare it

This has already been discussed…

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=78606&p=1048292&hilit=insurance#p1048292

It affected mine,but then mine asked for any accidents in the last five years and whetever it was on my insurance or not.
What with it all being on a database these days it may be taking a risk not declaring.

most things have

When they ask have you had an accident
your reply should be not on this policy

Hiya… you should tell your insurance …on the forms it askes if you’ve had a claim
in the last 5 years…with technoligy nowadays bumps are easy to trace…
a lad next door to me got nicked for having his L plate on his motorbike behind
the tinted screen making the plate blue and purple… 3 points and £30
he never told his insurance…about 2 years later he had his first car
XR2 thing… this car got nicked… the insurance company only payed up half the
money because he’d made a false statement…that cost him £600…
I know it stinks the claim should come off the vehicle that was in the bump
with all these claims nowadays its best to be 100% legal…
sorry to spoil your new year
John

i havnt had any claims ever,but ive had a bump or two in the truck

the reason the xr2 lad got burnt was coz he didn`t declare his points

The trouble is that the question insurance companies ask is " Have you had ANY ACCIDENTS REGARDLESS OF LIABILITY". So if you’ve had an accident in your truck even if there was no claim against you then your answer should really be yes.

Is this why lorry drivers pay more for their private insurance than other professions?

Keep your mouth shut!!!

stagedriver:
Keep your mouth shut!!!

Tell `em nowt…

If this accident was in a truck that is owned by you,and covered by an insurance policy in your name/trading name,then yes i would imagine that should be declared, maybe
But if you are only an employee then the insurance liability is the companies, and therefore not your policy , so no need to declare any accidents, unless you really want them to stiff you ?

I’ve just changed my policy and it asks if i have any claims or convictions, i have neither. It doesnt ask whether i’ve had any accidents of which i’ve had a couple.

any convictions of a certain age are “spent” under the rehibilitation of offenders act,so i don`t declare them either :sunglasses:

I had a major bump last Febuary (non-fault :smiley: ) so went through one of those no win no fee bods so I didn’t need to touch my insurance. Should I declare that accident even though it wasn’t my fault, and I didn’t make a claim on my own insurance??

P.S.

Does anyone use that ‘Adelaide Motor Insurance’ advertised in the T&D mag’■■

Are they worth it?

They say that they can get you cheaper insurance because you’re a ‘professional driver’.

My insurance is due in the nexy few months, so I thought I’d start looking now.

Goldfinger:

Are they worth it?

They say that they can get you cheaper insurance because you’re a ‘so-called professional driver’.

FTFY. You’re welcome.

Goldfinger:

Are they worth it?

They say that they can get you cheaper insurance because you’re a ‘professional driver’.

My insurance is due in the nexy few months, so I thought I’d start looking now.

Yes…

I did yesterday… My last insurance firm renewly went from £250 to \£350 exluding the breakdown cover and windscreen cover etc… just the “basic”. All other quotes ranging £330 to £500 for me

Phone these chaps up - 15min later

1x Fully comp policy with breakdown and with something else (ain’t got the paperwork in front of me) all for £250 with AIM membership for the year.

Can’t fault them what so ever at the moment… but I’ve saved that cash - all they need on top of your usual details is your licence number to get the AIM sorted out and to prove you have HGV entitlement on your ticket.