How do you tip a tipper?

:blush: daft question but if you have never driven one you gotta be told a first time, do you pull a buton or i overheard someone on about doing something with a clutch? are there different types, all i was ever taught in the theory was if you tip be on level firm ground. i am sure i will get the answer and some obvious and silly answers but what the heck, my knowledge gained from this site has been excellent.

You will usually get internally trained to do it.
8wheels has a blog link in his signature that may be worth a read :bulb: :bulb:

Some of the older guys on here might remember the mechanical cranked tipper body which was operated by a man with a big handle. Manual. :laughing:

Otherwise you use a power take off with hydraulics, an electric lead with a motor or a donkey engine, sometimes you use the clutch to engage the pto, or you just flick the switch to engage the pto with air then and operate the spool valve.

Cab Controls

mmm interesting thanks, so if i get lucky an get some tipper work i can say without looking too stupid ā€œi am unsure of how this is operated i used a different tsystem beforeā€ not untrue as i once drove a transit tipper with a up down button on a lead behind the seat! thanks.

donpablo:
mmm interesting thanks, so if i get lucky an get some tipper work i can say without looking too stupid ā€œi am unsure of how this is operated i used a different tsystem beforeā€ not untrue as i once drove a transit tipper with a up down button on a lead behind the seat! thanks.

if you have never done it before you wont look stupid anyway if you ask. it is better to ask than make a big expensive mistake.

Sorry canā€™t help there.

My road tipping experience goes as far as a Transit tipper, Iā€™m pretty up to speed with dumpers and dump trucks though. :wink:

Iā€™d not worry about it though, itā€™ll be a 2 minute demonstration of how to tip it and Iā€™m sure theyā€™re all different.

You wonā€™t look stupid asking compared to a ā€œSorry bossā€ phone call.

Done it once before on a Scania. Had to engage the PTO flicking the switch and depressing the clutch for a few seconds. Then moved the lever to the raise position. Drive forward a little to fully empty. Lower tipper body. Disengage PTO.

I was told to stay in the cab whilst doing this in case it all goes wrong.

Two things to remember - overhead lines and remember to put the body down :wink: .
CLICKY

Strangest one I drove was a 6 wheel hooklift on a Scania 86. You pressed a switch on the dash, then put the gearbox into 3rd gear and let the clutch out.

Then the hydraulics were in gear and you operated the skip gear from 2 long levers coming alongside the cab alongside the drivers window.

The one, and only one, that I have ever operated, involved dipping the clutch, engaging the the PTO, and then releasing the clutch.

I only drove it two or three times and it was so long ago that we were still on Log Books. :smiley:

so there it is, a lot of variations but shouldnt be too hard, if i get luckyi have forwarded a speculative cv to a local tipper firm asking them to take a look when thay have a vacancy!

donpablo:
how do you tip a tipper?

Seeing the way most tippers are driven, the answer is pretty obvious to me :smiley: .

Like a [ZB] ing looney.
:open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing:

I was on tipping last year with an FH12, you basically pressed the clutch in when in neutral, flicked the PTO switch then lifted the lever to raise the body. Press the switch down to disengage the PTO. The volvo had an i-shift gearbox which wouldnā€™t change gear if you forgot to disengage the PTO, which was handy sometimes if you forgot to disengage